EU leaders willing to compromise on freedom of movement, says Tony Blair

rooster59

EU leaders willing to compromise on freedom of movement, says Tony Blair

By Andy Bruce

640x640 (1).jpg

Britain's former Prime Minister Tony Blair speaks at a meeting of the European People's Party in Wicklow, Ireland, May 12, 2017. REUTERS/Clodagh Kilcoyne/Files

LONDON (Reuters) - European Union leaders are willing to change the bloc's rules for the freedom of movement of workers, opening an opportunity for Britain to avoid a damaging "hard Brexit", former prime minister Tony Blair said on Saturday.

The election of French President Emmanuel Macron had put reform of the EU on the table, meaning Britain and the EU could meet "halfway" to strike a deal that would keep Britain inside the world's largest trading area, Blair said.

"The European leaders, certainly from my discussions, are willing to consider changes to accommodate Britain, including around freedom of movement," the former Labour prime minister said in an article published by his Institute for Global Change.

"The opposition to free movement of people, once you break it down, is much more nuanced. The French and Germans share some of the British worries, notably around immigration, and would compromise on freedom of movement."

Blair's comments are at odds with the EU's negotiating stance, which stresses there can be no "cherry picking" from the benefits of membership of the EU's single market without accepting freedom of movement for EU workers.

In a separate interview, Blair said he thought it was possible that Britain could stay in the EU because public opinion was moving against Brexit.

"I think it's absolutely necessary that it doesn't happen because I think every day is bringing us fresh evidence that it's doing us damage economically," Blair said, in a preview of Sky News' Sophy Ridge on Sunday programme.

The pro-Brexit Leave Means Leave campaign said Blair's comments showed how out of touch he is with voters.

REOPEN THE DEBATE?

Many Western EU leaders are indeed concerned to limit free movement only to workers - as specified in the EU treaty.

Germany has won a series of EU court cases denying benefits and residence rights to immigrants who were not working.

There is little appetite in the bloc for reopening a negotiation with Britain that it already had before the Brexit referendum - partly because many in the EU see Britain's problems with EU immigration as partly of its own making.

Under Blair's government, citizens of Poland and other ex-communist states were allowed to settle immediately in Britain, despite a years-long transition period allowed under EU rules.

When former prime minister David Cameron made cutting EU immigration the focus of a deal he demanded before holding the referendum last year, other European governments argued London could do more within existing EU rules to limit arrivals.

They nonetheless agreed to a special deal for Cameron to give Britain special rights to curb EU immigration, but that deal was rendered moot by the Brexit vote.

In his article on Saturday, Blair lamented that both Prime Minister Theresa May's Conservative Party and the opposition Labour Party had set their minds on leaving the single market, without exploring the alternatives.

"Given what is at stake, and what, daily, we are discovering about the costs of Brexit, how can it be right deliberately to take off the table the option of compromise between Britain and Europe so that Britain stays within a reformed Europe?" he said.

Blair praised the current leader of the Labour Party, left-winger Jeremy Corbyn, for mobilising young voters in last month's general election in which May lost her majority in parliament.

But Britain under a Corbyn-led government could "hit the canvas, flat on our back" if it adopted hard-left economics, Blair said.

In response, Corbyn told BBC News that the economy would do well under a Labour-led government that focused on raising investment.

Blair was prime minister for 10 years until 2007. He wanted to take Britain into the euro zone and believed Britain should lead the way in the EU rather than withdraw from it.

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2017-07-16

5 hours ago, rooster59 said:

European Union leaders are willing to change the bloc's rules for the freedom of movement of workers, opening an opportunity for Britain to avoid a damaging "hard Brexit", former prime minister Tony Blair said on Saturday.

I'd love to believe him but, let's face it, he's hardly known for telling the truth....

Blair's comments are at odds with the EU's negotiating stance, which stresses there can be no "cherry picking" from the benefits of membership of the EU's single market without accepting freedom of movement for EU workers.

Precisely.

Under Blair's government, citizens of Poland and other ex-communist states were allowed to settle immediately in Britain, despite a years-long transition period allowed under EU rules.

Again, precisely....

The man is a known liar who will say anything to promote/benefit himself.

Edited by dick dasterdly

I think Blair is highly intelligent and perspicacious. 

Yes he was wrong on Iraq. So what? You show me someone who has not made an error and I will show you a liar.

But, back to the actuality of what he says. I do think that the EU may adjust their stance on free movement regardless of the UK. A section of Brexiters ( not the most rational part of the population it must be said) may go for that. That would not be cherry picking; the fourth pillar would have moved ?

This is the man who gave up a 7b pound rebate in return for a reform of the Common Agricultural Policy, the CAP was never reformed, you cant trust Blair ( although he will never understand why ) and you certainly cannot trust the EU to reform themselves, they have a good thing going for the chosen ones, the unelected ones.

Just retire, give it rest we had enough of you.

9 hours ago, yardrunner said:

i would trust Tony Blair as far as i could throw him and as a 70 year old that is not far, he should have been prosecuted over the lies he told about the gulf war and hopefully will be in the future

Now I know what you are saying, but still I believe Blair was doing what he thought was right. I was against the Iraq war myself, but I cannot go along with these 'War Criminal' accusations.

Yes, he distorted the truth. Yes, he has blood on his hands, but still I rate him as a far better individual than his detractors who can comfortably take potshots at him from the sidelines - Who here thinks a Conservative government would not have gone along with Iraq too?

That said, give me Corbyn's Labour Party anytime. I prefer his brand of politics in 2017...

9 hours ago, nong38 said:

This is the man who gave up a 7b pound rebate in return for a reform of the Common Agricultural Policy, the CAP was never reformed, you cant trust Blair ( although he will never understand why ) and you certainly cannot trust the EU to reform themselves, they have a good thing going for the chosen ones, the unelected ones.

Just retire, give it rest we had enough of you.

http://www.eu-facts.org.uk/sceptics-handbook/the-value-of-mrs-thatchers-rebate-and-the-cost-of-mr-blairs-gesture/

11 hours ago, Grouse said:

Yes he was wrong on Iraq. So what? You show me someone who has not made an error and I will show you a liar.

But, back to the actuality of what he says. I do think that the EU may adjust their stance on free movement regardless of the UK. A section of Brexiters ( not the most rational part of the population it must be said) may go for that. That would not be cherry picking; the fourth pillar would have moved ?

Yes he was wrong on Iraq. So what?

Wrong, or ignored the evidence. If the latter the "so what" is in bad taste considering all the deaths that came from that war.

With the benefit of hindsight, Blair's judgement was clearly incorrect. At least with regards the UK being threatened by "weapons of mass destruction". But what about asymmetric attack? What about Halabja? At least 5000 civilians were gassed by Saddam's regime!

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halabja_chemical_attack

Personally, I was in favour of the first Iraq war but very doubtful about the second.

We could have a long philosophical discussion on whether war is EVER the "right thing" to do. What is the moral case?

Were the French correct? You do remember the "cheese eating surrender monkies"?

No, on balance, Blair's stance was wrong. Is he a war criminal? No, not really.

Finally to ignore his opinions on Europe because of Iraq is frankly silly!

2 hours ago, i claudius said:

Blair is just in it for himself , like the fact he approved the human rights act so that his wife could make a fortune out of it by defending the scum of the earth

Sent from my SM-A720F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

If it is indeed a fact, then you must have evidence to support it. Otherwise, it's just a slur.

As fellow member, elliss has pointed out in another thread, Blair is running scared. You can see it in his eyes. The clock is ticking on his war crimes, and he is desperate to find a big role for himself as a buffer to it's consequences. He sees this issue as a way to that big role.

6 hours ago, chrissables said:
17 hours ago, Grouse said:

Yes he was wrong on Iraq. So what?

Wrong, or ignored the evidence. If the latter the "so what" is in bad taste considering all the deaths that came from that war.

Quite. "I will be with you whatever." is not a mistake. It is a total abuse of elected power.

16 hours ago, Grouse said:

Personally, I was in favour of the first Iraq war but very doubtful about the second.

Its very easy to say your in favour of the war when you are sitting in your office or getting a gease up with a shiatsu, and you dont have to go fight it.  Very brave. 

I had close mates go to the first and I was in the second one.  I am sure the dead will be pleased you were in favour

Edited by Caps

5 hours ago, Caps said:

Its very easy to say your in favour of the war when you are sitting in your office or getting a gease up with a shiatsu, and you dont have to go fight it.  Very brave. 

I had close mates go to the first and I was in the second one.  I am sure the dead will be pleased you were in favour

Well, that's a whole different debate. Were they conscripted or did they volunteer to join the army and see the world? Am I not permitted to voice my opinion?

2 hours ago, Grouse said:

Well, that's a whole different debate. Were they conscripted or did they volunteer to join the army and see the world? Am I not permitted to voice my opinion?

The British Army aint had conscription for donkeys years.  I would have thought a man of your intellect would have known that!   We all are permitted 

Edited by Caps