Thai Immigration nabs four alleged Nigerian scammers

webfact

Four alleged Nigerian scammers nabbed

By Thai PBS

vlcsnap-2017-07-16-19h15m10s387.png

BANGKOK: -- Four members of a “Nigerian scam” gang have been arrested by the immigration police for allegedly duping several victims of over ten million baht in Thailand.

The alleged scammers were identified as Anthony Chicha, a 27-year old Zambian; Mohammed Mansana, a 33-year old Sierra Leonean, 32-year old Victor Uzoho Ndubuisi and 26-year old David Uzoho Reginald, both Nigerians.

Pol Gen Chalermkiat Srivorakhan, the deputy national police chief, said Sunday that the arrest of the “Nigerian scam” gang followed complaints from several victims that they were cheated from the gang members who claimed to be a US army officer, a western doctor and a pilot.

He said that these alleged scammers used the profiles of good-looking and wealthy men in their Facebook accounts to attract and convince their potential victims who would eventually be lured to transfer money to their accounts for non-existent charity or business deal.

Full story: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/four-alleged-nigerian-scammers-nabbed/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2017-07-17

The lonely Asian women scam...still going strong. Happened to a Vietnamese lady I knew from KL, she was smart enough not to give over any c ash but did fly from Vietnam to Malaysia to meet her 'prince' only to be met with his associates, a Malay woman and man who needed an advance to arrange the meeting with Mr. Right. Ladies....don't be so foolish !

+1 Tonray, But I am still amazed at the number of people who still fall for these scams. As you say, lonely women, maybe, but as soon as a fee is requested from someone you never met should send alarm bells ringing.

By the way, if anyone wants to help. I am a young vibrant slim blonde girl who needs some funds to pay for my photoshoot portfolio.........:smile:

12 minutes ago, AhFarangJa said:

+1 Tonray, But I am still amazed at the number of people who still fall for these scams. As you say, lonely women, maybe, but as soon as a fee is requested from someone you never met should send alarm bells ringing.

By the way, if anyone wants to help. I am a young vibrant slim blonde girl who needs some funds to pay for my photoshoot portfolio.........:smile:

They typically prey on Asian women because of the stigma of being unmarried after 30 for example. The Vietnamese lady was a professor, 34 years old but had increasing pressure from parents and siblings to find a husband. 

Includes 1 from Zambia and another from Sierra Leone. These guys are giving Nigeria a bad name.

The two Nigerians were possibly the leaders of the "Nigerian Gang" because there two of them.

If there were two Zambians instead of two Nigerians would it be termed a "Zambian Gang"?

Doubtful.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, timkeen08 said:

The two Nigerians were possibly the leaders of the "Nigerian Gang" because there two of them.

The original report referred to a "Nigerian Scam" gang, that is a gang who used a common scam that originated  in Nigeria.

2 hours ago, AhFarangJa said:

Having been involved in the past in trying to make life hard for these scammers, long before the authorities had any interest, the 'love scam' is probably the hardest to wean somebody off of. You can present clear and unequivocal evidence to them that they are being scammed, but invariably they remain in denial. It was much easier to deal with the straight "5 million in a deposit box' scams than the love ones.

Over the years we have stopped several ladies from paying out to this scam.  (We become aware because they ask my wife to lend money)

The most recent was just a few weeks ago when the local farmers wife was trying to find 20,000 to pay for a parcel from her FB lover. She refused to believe my wife and other Thai ladies that it was a scam, and last I heard was trying to find the money. She probably couldn't raise the funds because she still knocks on our door to borrow 1000 every time one of the (her daughters) kids has an incident.

Nigerian scum bags....These people are the the bottom of the barrel.They have no sense of right or wrong and will screw anyone. And so......I will be contacting the Nigerian Embassy to tell them as such. Desperate people do these things- obviously....Never reply nor ever give Nigerians the time of day. Scammers to the nth degree.

Well at least they're into equal opps., no disrimination here, we'll scam you whether your male or female:

" ... one of the victims said he was approached via Facebook by a netizen who claimed to be an American female army officer ... ."

and they're into good deeds -

" ... one million US dollars, was to be donated for students in Thailand ... ."

I can see how that might hit all the right buttons with a school director.