Video: Lucky escapes as truck trailer ends up in roadside ravine in Lampang

webfact

Video: Lucky escapes as truck trailer ends up in roadside ravine in Lampang

3pm.jpg

Picture: Daily News

LAMPANG: -- Dash cam footage posted to Facebook showed a large truck trailer losing control on a winding section of road in slippery conditions in Lampang yesterday.

The truck starts to veer out of control on a downward section and ends up off the road to the left. It seemed very fortunate that there was not a collision with another truck coming up the hill that would have meant certain death.

As it was the driver of the truck and his wife were both injured but alive and police saw them to Mae Tha hospital where they are recovering.

The footage was posted to Facebook by driver Watcharin Jaikham, 29, who was on his way home along the Den Chai to Lampang road.

He said that conditions were treacherous so he was only travelling at 60 kilometers per hour. He noticed the truck starting to veer on a downward stretch.

He said that following the accident he quickly parked and went to help calling 191 to alert the authorities.

The accident happened in the Wang Ngern sub-district of the northern Thai province.

Source: Daily News

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-07-18

Jesus! Did the lorry driver think he was in a time trial or something? He was on the wrong side of the road regularly through those bends, and in those conditions I can only say Som Nam Na. Very fortunate to still be alive and equally so not to have taken anyone else out at the same time.

Once again someone unqualified to drive a HGV, and with the expected results. The guy was driving too fast for a wet steep decline. He could not even stay on his own side of the solid yellow line. As is always the case he probably had no understanding of mass or proper downhill braking.

I think that he wasn't in the right gear for decent, had taken it out of the gear he was in and not able to get it back into any gear,  If you have to rely on braking down hill you shouldn't be driving..

Edited by davoz45

30 minutes ago, Seismic said:

Once again someone unqualified to drive a HGV, and with the expected results. The guy was driving too fast for a wet steep decline. He could not even stay on his own side of the solid yellow line. As is always the case he probably had no understanding of mass or proper downhill braking.

absolutely 100% agree, it actually looked to me like the vehicle was out of control for most of that video the driving was so bad.

and the authorities are clueless on how to improve driving standards on Thai roads ......................... take a long hard look at this video and it becomes obvious, this could just as easily have been a bus with a load of passengers or the truck taking out a bus, but of course it was the rain that caused the crash - right ?

shocking 

Engine brake wont  do anything if your not in gear, and if your not in gear drum will quickly overheat and fail. a bad scenario.  Pick the correct gear and the top of the hill and don't try and change.

The driver has absolutely no idea how to drive that rig, he is way up front there in the cab and has no idea or interest in what is attached behind, it also looks like there is no load on there so I don't imagine there was any sort of braking issue considering it looks empty - the driver just simply has no clue, might be a good idea for Thailand to take a look at how HGV drivers are trained in the west  

6 hours ago, darksidedog said:

Jesus! Did the lorry driver think he was in a time trial or something? He was on the wrong side of the road regularly through those bends, and in those conditions I can only say Som Nam Na. Very fortunate to still be alive and equally so not to have taken anyone else out at the same time.

Yes, my thoughts exactly, luckily he did not kill others yet. 

Driven that road literally hundreds of times, and that stretch is particularly tricky in the wet. Heaps of heavy vehicles putting down oil laden exhaust onto the road surface, makes it lethal in the wet. Seen many a truck come to grief there. Further down the road there is one of those "never ending curves", and that catches the unwary trucks half way round. You can see the central barriers that are smashed through on a regular basis. In the dry it's a great drive.

Edited by Maejo Man
syntax

8 hours ago, thequietman said:

Travelled this road many times. Even in the pickup truck you can get caught out. The way he was driving, it was bound to happen.

<deleted>.

I travel this road going to Lampang airport and I hate that mountain section. The trucks have to drive so slowly on the downhill that loads of Thais take chances overtaking on bends or in the climbing lane for the uphill traffic. Last time I took this road and got to the bottom of the hill on the Phrae side there was a Fortuner at the side of the road that was almost unrecognisable it had been mangled so badly and there was a truck with the front end all smashed in. I doubt anyone would have survived in the Fortuner. 

37 minutes ago, MW72 said:

I travel this road going to Lampang airport and I hate that mountain section. The trucks have to drive so slowly on the downhill that loads of Thais take chances overtaking on bends or in the climbing lane for the uphill traffic. Last time I took this road and got to the bottom of the hill on the Phrae side there was a Fortuner at the side of the road that was almost unrecognisable it had been mangled so badly and there was a truck with the front end all smashed in. I doubt anyone would have survived in the Fortuner. 

Yes, when I go up this hill, I stay in the left lane. There are 2 lanes as you say but it isn't worth the risk. Lorries, cars, pickups, all are coming down the hill on the wrong side of the road. Coming down I use the gears to slow me down, the Thais just use their brakes. It really is a bad road to travel on and I am quite relieved when it's over.

Freaking idiot.  Take away his license if he even has one.  Does Thailand have the equivalent of the USA's Commercial Driver License (CDL)?  I bet not.  Just look at the way he was cutting the corners and crossing over the Yellow Line at every single chance.  Just disgusting. 

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎7‎/‎18‎/‎2017 at 8:33 AM, darksidedog said:

Did you note the time he was over a yellow line on a blind corner? He's lucky not to be up on a manslaughter charge.

I saw idiots like that every time I drove on Thai roads. Couldn't wait 5 seconds to pass safely etc.

What disturbs me as well is that the car behind was also travelling too fast for the conditions.

I travelled that road frequently, and it is dangerous.

On 7/18/2017 at 3:49 AM, davoz45 said:

Engine brake wont  do anything if your not in gear, and if your not in gear drum will quickly overheat and fail. a bad scenario.  Pick the correct gear and the top of the hill and don't try and change.

They take it out of gear as they think it will save money and they can pocket a bit on each fill up

Mind you I thought the truck had no driver as no one could be that stupid could they