My visa retirement extension refused yesterday

25 minutes ago, GroveHillWanderer said:

Would it were that simple. While it may be true that most people "with common sense" know what is meant when they use the expression "getting a retirement visa extension" I seem to recall a thread where someone who had extended their permission to stay, thought they had extended their multi-entry visa and left the country without getting a re-entry permit, only to find on returning that their permission to stay had gone and had to start the visa process all over again.

So using the right terminology is important because if someone thinks they still have a valid visa to enter the country (because they've "extended" it) and all they have is an extension of permission to stay but no (re-entry) permit it can cause them a bunch of problems.

Yep - the confusion happens when people use the wrong words, and then those 'wrong words' keep being repeated often, and eventually they are said by enough people and enough times, that they become 'the norm'. I too remember that thread, and as a result I tried to 'correct' someone who said they were "going to get their Visa extended".  He reacted with disdain, and argued that he could leave and re-enter as he had a multi-entry Visa and was going to extend it. He said he had read about it many times, and he was adamant they he was right and I was wrong. I took the trouble of sending him an email with reference to that thread and to others.  Next time we met the bloke reluctantly accepted I was 'probably right', but he never really admitted he was wrong, and never apologised for arguing so strongly.  After a while I stopped talking to that person - always wanted advice, but he would argue and not accept it, if he didn't like it.  Horses and water :saai: