My visa retirement extension refused yesterday

3 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

A map is simple document to provide. A medical certificate is not the same and would be in the police order if it was required.

That's a contradiction Joe.

It's either in the orders or not, but we have to comply regardless.

2.22 In the case of retirement:
Each permission shall be granted
for no more than one year.
1. Application form
2. Copy of applicant’s passport
3. Evidence of income such as a retirement pension, interest or dividends; and/or
4. Funds deposit certificate issued by a bank in Thailand and a copy of a bankbook
5. Only in the case of Criterion (6), the applicant must submit documents equivalent to Clauses 1-4
stated above.

This is the document checklist for retirement extensions.

I cannot name one office who request only the documents detailed therein, so a lot of rouge offices about.

Immigration Bureau order 138-2557 (2014) - extension documents en.pdf 

30 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

Agreed, but they'd be shooting themselves in the foot if they did.

A lot of married expats are struggling to meet the 40,000 baht per month requirement from their Pensions due to the current exchange rates. It would affect a lot of Thai citizens as well.

The income standards for foreigners are already quite high in comparison to average Thai earnings.

In the unlikely event you are married to a farang, the joint income required is the same as for a single person, likewise the "seasoned" cash sum, or combination. A joint visa, Two for the price of one! (Except the fees of course).

I don't know how this pans out in terms of independent travel, however, so have never risked it.

10 hours ago, perthperson said:

Wonder why they think only those applying for extensions based on retirement are prone to these unlikely diseases ? 

Nah, I get checked for the same every year for an extension based on WP.

4 minutes ago, CRUNCHER said:

For Jomtien no need to put money in. When you get your letter from the bank they will update your passbook. Never had a problem.

If the book does not show movement in the account - any movement will do - it is an "inactive account" and they will reject it: it has happened to me. They want to see a movement in the three days preceding the application. 

This has been so for at least 1 1/2 years! ( my last two renewals). One week ahead was not good enough!

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

That's a contradiction Joe.

It's either in the orders or not, but we have to comply regardless.

How

There is a big difference between a piece of paper to draw a map and having to get a medical certificate from a clinic or hospital.

How much does a sheet of A4 paper cost compared to a medical check.

My understanding is if you get a notarized affadavit from your embassy about available funds, you can just use that instead of having the money in a thai bank acct. I know it must be signed off on by the thai consulate as well..ubonjoe will havebthe details. P.s. there def needs to be some formal recognition dor ubonjoes help re Visas. Its really invaluable, so thank you

Sent from my SM-G920V using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Kadilo said:

Hopefully soon they will shut these "agents" down so only those that comply can stay. If you wish to stay, stay under their rules or go elsewhere.

When first arriving here the first couple of yearly visas were at Nong Khai. Absolutely no probs'; there was money in the bank and I satisfied all the marriage visa requirements. The only thing that they asked me to do was get an ATM slip (back in 5 minutes). 

Following year everything transferred to the Airport at Udon.

First time at Udon all the paperwork (even the pics of the three of us in the bedroom; wife, me and baby) was on the desk from 10 until gone 4 o'clock. The 30 or so pages of signed (both sides) file just sat there. I had a my little daughter in my arms and it was stifling hot. Very uncomfortable for the three of us. About 11ish a lady had arrived with a box and handed it over to the Immigration Officer (IO) behind the desk. They emptied the box out on a table in the back room; I could see through the window; passports and lots of them. She came back at 3-30 to collect them. I was so green then.

The IO would periodically thumb my file. I asked the wife what it was all about. "He is looking for money between the pages" was her reply. I thought it was going to be simple just like Nong Khai. How wrong I was!!

Just after 16-00 I went to the desk and made a complaint to the lady IO. They stamped my passport with two weeks extension and told me to bring an unrelated witness from the village next time. I told the wife to inform her that I already had a yellow book and had been vetted. Waste of words they were. Two weeks later; everything was in order with the witness (and paperwork) and I surrendered my passport. A month later, I picked up passport with my year.

Soon after the Immigration moved to their own building at the rear of the Police headquarters in Udon; where it still is I believe.

Years later I did use the services of 'the lady'. No money in the bank required; just needed a bank account a couple of pics and 15K.

Far, far more easy than being legitimate.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, meechai said:

But I do not think Thailand cares as much or is as dependent as you think on expats dollars

But expats tend to have an inflated self worth

It would be nice to get some facts/figures on the financial contribution of retirees to Thailand. 800,000 baht on deposit

( 400,000 if married ) at minimal interest which the banks then lend out at 6-8% is good business. So is a retiree bringing in a minimum of 65,000 baht a month when the average wage in Thailand for most Thais is about 10,000 baht a month.

You may be right about inflated self worth; however, it would be good to see real data on the contribution to the economy we make.

9 minutes ago, colinneil said:

Why say go to an agent?????

That is illegal, and if caught, serious problems.

Why not? I've not heard of anyone being caught. Agents are easier because the authorities make it so!!

• Like 1

Just now, owl sees all said:

Why not? I've not heard of anyone being caught. Agents are easier because the authorities make it so!!

It depends on whether the agent is legitimate, or bends the rules.

If Immigration ever decides to crack down on those agents that bend rules, some retirees will be in deep doo-doo.

What a crazy thing to say, totally brain dead.

You want me to give you my friends UK phone number?

A man who lived here for years, then had to get out and go back to the UK, SIMPLY BECAUSE THAT WAS WHAT HE WAS DOING.×

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Grusa said:

If the book does not show movement in the account - any movement will do - it is an "inactive account" and they will reject it: it has happened to me. They want to see a movement in the three days preceding the application. 

This has been so for at least 1 1/2 years! ( my last two renewals). One week ahead was not good enough!

Don't know why you have a problem. I have been doing it for years with no movement; the last one 2 months ago.

2 minutes ago, bazza73 said:

If Immigration ever decides to crack down on those agents that bend rules, some retirees will be in deep doo-doo.

Agreed. But remember the Im' Off's get a cut of the action.

I've tried legit (read post 70) and it was not as easy as using an agent.

4 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

Agreed. But remember the Im' Off's get a cut of the action.

I've tried legit (read post 70) and it was not as easy as using an agent.

I use an agent too because I have better things to do with my time than waste a day or two on BS. As far as I can tell my agent plays it straight. What the IO's get is none of my business.

Edited by bazza73
Addition
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, bazza73 said:

You do realize the IO's don't care as they are getting paid.  It will never stop as it is huge income for them.

4 hours ago, DPKANKAN said:

A friend of mine had the 800,000 in the bank no problem. Unfortunately, the bank took a 250 baht card charge out which he was not notified of. He was refused his extension!!! 

Strange didn't he checked the fund available before applying...:shock1:

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

You do realize the IO's don't care as they are getting paid.  It will never stop as it is huge income for them.

The amount of ex-pats that use my local 'agent' is over 900. She charges 17K for something that costs 2K. A lot of dosh going somewhere.

17 hours ago, Tchooptip said:

You  can only come back the 31th (very last day, help) because  we will be closed  28 29 and 30. 

Are you married to a Thai national? If you are, and have concerns about cutting a fresh retirement extension application down to the wire in this way, why not go back to the office at the earliest opportunity and apply for a 60-day extension on the grounds of visiting your wife? That should give you more than enough time to get everything sorted for a subsequent retirement extension application at relative leisure - provided that you don't raid your bank account to fund any more super-duper (but expensive) "bargains" in the meantime, of course!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, DPKANKAN said:

A friend of mine had the 800,000 in the bank no problem. Unfortunately, the bank took a 250 baht card charge out which he was not notified of. He was refused his extension!!! 

Good point and is why I keep mine in a separate Time Deposit Account where all they do is add interest and not deduct account charges. In fact I decided just to leave mine in the Time Deposit account, so it has been in there for two years. so far and I do not have to worry. A friend had difficulties like you because he mixed up the dates and ended up having to rush around getting to B800K in a time deposit with only one day to spare.

Edited by Estrada
  • Like 1

@ Owl sees all .....................I have used the Udon Thani immigration office for the last 4 years. never had a problem with obtaining a new permission to stay each year..........all paperwork correct, bank account with 800,000B on fixed term deposit with no movement of money( never asked to produce my other bank book showing day to day living cash movement), usually in and out each year within 90mins to 2 hrs max. This year ( may 2017) , I had a new passport so had to have visa info entered into new passport ( from old passport)+ new permission to stay + re-entry permit ( always get one with each re-newal just in case)...all done in just over 2 hrs and with a smile.

I did have a little chuckle however when I entered thailand in may to do this re-newal. I entered at Swampy on 3th may on a re-entry permit and a permission to stay which ended on 6th may. The IO at swampy after carefully checking my passport ...said " stay only 3 days". he seemed disappointed when I agreed with him as I knew I would obtain my extension on 5th May.....

1 hour ago, owl sees all said:

The amount of ex-pats that use my local 'agent' is over 900. She charges 17K for something that costs 2K. A lot of dosh going somewhere.

You are getting screwed. My agent in CM charges 12K,  which includes the extension itself and a multiple re-entry permit, plus the 90 day reports for a year.

I'm told there is an agent at the CM Immigration which will do it for a flat 3K plus the cost of extension and re-entries; however, the wait times are considerably longer.

51 minutes ago, novo58 said:

I have used the Udon Thani immigration office for the last 4 years. never had a problem with obtaining a new permission to stay each year...<snip snip>.....entered into new passport ( from old passport)+ new permission to stay + re-entry permit ( always get one with each re-newal just in case)...all done in just over 2 hrs and with a smile.

Hi Novo58.....Same for me when I first got here. Nong Khai were fine. in fact they were selling perfume over the counter to the ladies.

The Udon airport was a disaster. In the end I got my visa but what a lot of hassle.

I have not had to get a 12 month extension since the new IOffice opened but I hear it's OK for that. I've done 90 check ins at Udon though. Still here.