My visa retirement extension refused yesterday

5 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

I think it's trivial if people call their retirement extensions extensions of their visa.

Because everyone understands what they are talking about and it doesn't hurt people to use either term.

But it's less trivial when people call retirement extensions themselves visas.

That's because there are multiple things that people refer to as retirement visas:

O visas to start the process towards retirement extensions

O-A visas

Retirement extensions

I don't understand the drama if people want to say I got a retirement extension of my visa. 

Only that it at best confuses and at worst misleads others

I think it's trivial if people call their retirement extensions extensions of their visa.
Because everyone understands what they are talking about and it doesn't hurt people to use either term.
But it's less trivial when people call retirement extensions themselves visas.
That's because there are multiple things that people refer to as retirement visas:
O visas to start the process towards retirement extensions
O-A visas
Retirement extensions
So it's important to say exactly what you're talking about. 

I don't understand the drama if people want to say I got a retirement extension of my visa. People know that's the same thing as just saying a retirement extension. No harm, no foul. 

You've just touched on why it's important for people to use the correct terminology as used by Immigration themselves.
As has been demonstrated in this thread, failure to do so not only confuses those who are genuinely seeking information to help their personal circumstances. It then turns into a ridiculous bickfest and ruins what could have been a useful exchange for many.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

4 minutes ago, Kadilo said:

You've just touched on why it's important for people to use the correct terminology as used by Immigration themselves.
As has been demonstrated in this thread, failure to do so not only confuses those who are genuinely seeking information to help their personal circumstances. It then turns into a ridiculous bickfest and ruins what could have been a useful exchange for many.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Actually it was just some moron trolling me.  

7 hours ago, Jip99 said:

A copy of marriage certificate,a copy of Thai passport/a copy of Thai ID of spouse and (3 months bank statement showing monthly income of more than £1,400 annually.)

That is an error that has been on the their website for years now. They ask no financial proof to get a non-o visa based upon marriage.

• Like 1

You reenter based on reentry permits that keep your current extensions to stay valid. So I don't really get your point. But of course it's important to emphasize that extensions are not the same thing as visas.

An exception would be people re-entering with a still valid O-A visa. They get additional one year stays without reentry permit as long as the original visa is still valid. So people that start with O-A visas can stay for almost two years before needing to apply for a first retirement extension in Thailand.

• Like 1

On 7/19/2017 at 0:07 AM, perthperson said:

Wonder why they think only those applying for extensions based on retirement are prone to these unlikely diseases ? 

Because retired people are older and statistically more likely to get or be sick (I think that's obvious). Anyway, this point shouldn't be pushed further, there are already enough requirements for different visas, complaining about "discrimination" or something so that other visa holders may also need to get a medical test is not something to gloat about.

On one hand, an "extension" is an "extension of your permission of stay" - not "extension of a visa".

OTOH, you need a "non-immigrant Visa" before you can apply for a "non-immigrant" based "extension of your permission of stay" (retirement, marriage, etc) - and this Visa info is painstakingly copied from one passport to the next - so it is understandable people would incorrectly assume they were "extending their original Visa."

Then, to further muddy the waters, you can get a 60-day "extension of your permission to stay" from ANY kind of visa, based on visiting Thai family - even after your last permissible non-family-based extension of a Tourist or Visa-Exempt entry. 

We just have to keep explaining the terms to everyone, hopefully in a patient and not patronizing way, so they understand the nature of what is in their passport.

5 hours ago, Jingthing said:

You reenter based on reentry permits that keep your current extensions to stay valid. So I don't really get your point. But of course it's important to emphasize that extensions are not the same thing as visas.

An exception would be people re-entering with a still valid O-A visa. They get additional one year stays without reentry permit as long as the original visa is still valid. So people that start with O-A visas can stay for almost two years before needing to apply for a first retirement extension in Thailand.

If you read back in the topic to whereJim7777 joins the thread, you'd understand the point trying to be made.

Yes, of course you, I and many others know you need a re-entry permit when on an extension.

However when someone insists he extends his Visa (which in his case was a ME non Imm O) they can be mistakenly fooled that re-entry is possible on their 'extended Visa'. It happens.

If indeed you could extend a ME Visa why would you need a re-entry permit.

• Like 1

A " Retirement Visa" getting or extension everyone with common sense knows what someone is talking about.

Why some seem to want to prove they are in some way smarter is beyond me. Who cares why be so pompous? 

It is like a Kleenex or a Band aid.  Most people with common sense know what you are talking about, but don't ask a bunch of specific questions about what brand, blah blah.......

The sky is blue today.  No it is not I see one cloud blah blah.......  

Someday, try to grow up and get over yourselves.

Edited by bkk6060

1 minute ago, bkk6060 said:

A " Retirement Visa" getting or extension everyone with common sense knows what someone is talking about.

Why some seem to want to prove they are in some way smarter is beyond me. Who cares why be so pompous? 

It is like a Kleenex or a Band aid.  Most people with common sense know what you are talking about, but don't ask a bunch of specific questions about what brand, blah blah.......

The sky is blue today.  No it is not I see one cloud blah blah.......  

Someday get over yourselves.

I will remember this "advice"  and advise those who are insistent that they have a Visa when they have not, that re-entry permits are not required by Visa holders when leaving the country. It would be wonderful to watch their expression as their extension of stay was wiped out by a visa exempt entry when they returned.............

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

Really! 

So did your common sense just desert you when you posted this topic.

So those who explained the correct procedure and advised you, were pompous!

You needed to do a transition from a METV to an '0' Visa to get an extension based on retirement and still refer to it as a 'Retirement Visa' and criticise those who actually use the correct terms.

• Like 2

On ‎7‎/‎19‎/‎2017 at 6:46 AM, colinneil said:

OP you made a silly mistake, you have to have the money in for a clear 3 months.

So you stupidly took money out, then back without doing your calculations.

For the future put the money in leave it in, immigration were correct in what they did, you created inconvenience for yourself because you didnt check things out correctly, next time you will know that.

that is easy to say but if your money is being used to live on as it is supposed to be or is in a foreign currency account in Thailand then it becomes subject  to fluctuations or exchange rates over those 3 months and needs a little bit of attention especially with British Sterling right now lol

just saying

On 19/07/2017 at 0:07 AM, perthperson said:

Wonder why they think only those applying for extensions based on retirement are prone to these unlikely diseases ? 

Because these are contagious diseases often associated with migrant labour from Myanmar.

The Ministry of Public Health has been battling these for years. Certainly the infection rate is higher in the population mentioned above then chuck in a little xenophobia and you have an immigration requirement.

Somehow this requirement has become attached to retirement extensions and work permit extensions for foreigners from first world countries, who have a lower infection rate. The stipulation by certain offices that the test be done at certain hospitals gives one plausible explanation.

On 22/07/2017 at 11:29 PM, smedly said:

that is easy to say but if your money is being used to live on as it is supposed to be or is in a foreign currency account in Thailand then it becomes subject  to fluctuations or exchange rates over those 3 months and needs a little bit of attention especially with British Sterling right now lol

just saying

Well if you are concerned about exchange rates then make it a million equivalent.

35 minutes ago, TVNAMOD said:

If they refused it you must have been doing something wrong. If you did nothing wrong the visa request will not be rejected as they get approved all the time. Figure out what you did wrong and correct it.

That is a big part of the issue.  People will not or cannot admit, they are the problem.

• Like 1

On 7/18/2017 at 6:37 PM, dick turpin said:

Let's get this right, your extension was not refused, you simply failed the required criteria to make an application....give immigration a break for once. 

There is a certain mindset which seems not to understand that in the context of bureaucratic procedures being applied, rules are likely to be judged a binary yes or no in terms of being complied with. The mindset is too cool to follow this. So, situations arise where a financial requirement is only either 'a few days out' or 'a few thousand baht short', living in a world of approximation and entitlement. Never mind.

• Like 1

It's pretty well known by life-insurance types that married men live longer than single men, so not requiring a medical certificate for marriage exemptions does have some logic behind it.  But, likely because of the thoroughness of the medical examination, of no practicality. 

2 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Congratulations!

July 19 I noticed you did read OP properly telling I don't think it's fair to insult the OP by saying he made a silly mistake :smile:

But being a non-native speaker in some cases I cannot respond with enough finesse so I guess it's wiser to keep silent.

• Like 1

On ‎01‎/‎08‎/‎2017 at 4:02 PM, Birdbrain said:

Dude, go to your embassy and sign a statutory declaration form stating that you earn over 80000 BAHT a month and pay the fee and get it stamped and go to the immigration office and all is well again.

That's all . 

That depends on his nationality.

We don't all have the luxury of making stat decs without proof of income.

Some Embassies insist on proof of income to provide the letter.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tanoshi said:

That depends on his nationality.

We don't all have the luxury of making stat decs without proof of income.

Some Embassies insist on proof of income to provide the letter.

The UK certainly does and they also charge 2,400 baht for the priviledge of writing the letter. To be fair to the embassy that fee is set by the Foreign and Commonwealth Ministry in the UK.