How are Ranong and Sungai Kolock right now?

I shall be heading off for a visa run (Non 'O') in the forseeable and was just wondering which checkpoint would be the smoother of the two, being a lover of a quiet life. Is there much difference between either of them hassle-wise, currently? 

weather wise both will be wet

Imagine they see more foreigner so should be easier in theory in Ranong

However from memory sungaikolok  i had a night at the Merlin "hotel "a few years back a very pleasant experience:thumbsup: visa wise was also hassle free

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, poohy said:

i had a night at the Merlin "hotel "a few years back a very pleasant experience:thumbsup: visa wise was also hassle free

What, you mean they had a dartboard..??

• Like 2

Not sure about Sungai Kolok since there are not many reports about that crossing. Sadao and Padang Besar have been telling people they need to stay overnight to get a new entry so it might be the same there.

Ranong has been reported as being difficult with when using a multiple entry non-o visa.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Not sure about Sungai Kolok since there are not many reports about that crossing. Sadao and Padang Besar have been telling people they need to stay overnight to get a new entry so it might be the same there.

Ranong has been reported as being difficult with when using a multiple entry non-o visa.

I have a ticket booked to the UK in September I can produce.  Do you think that might help my case if I use Ranong?

Not many tourists go through Sungai Kolok.

There was no queue last time I went there a couple of months ago. I found immigration on both sides friendly and efficient. I was going one way, so cannot say if there is a requirement to stay in Malaysia overnight.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, 12DrinkMore said:

Not many tourists go through Sungai Kolok.

There was no queue last time I went there a couple of months ago. I found immigration on both sides friendly and efficient. I was going one way, so cannot say if there is a requirement to stay in Malaysia overnight.

Perhaps there wasn't if you weren't asked if you intended to return on the same day..?

35 minutes ago, baboon said:

I have a ticket booked to the UK in September I can produce.  Do you think that might help my case if I use Ranong?

It might help but they may still ask to see 20k baht in cash.

16 minutes ago, Somtamnication said:

Never thought of going through Sungai Kolock. My next run will be or can be through Ranong with a multiple Non O. Closer, too. What is it like at Sungai K? Food, hotels, etc.

Plenty of hotels and food as it's a popular destination for Malaysian men for the nightlife. There are also frequent bombings and shootings though, it's a particular target in the Southern Islamic insurgency due to the general immorality going on there. Your individual risk is low but it is an extremely dodgy place, sort of think Pattaya but with jihad. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, blorg said:
1 hour ago, Somtamnication said:

Never thought of going through Sungai Kolock. My next run will be or can be through Ranong with a multiple Non O. Closer, too. What is it like at Sungai K? Food, hotels, etc.

Plenty of hotels and food as it's a popular destination for Malaysian men for the nightlife. There are also frequent bombings and shootings though, it's a particular target in the Southern Islamic insurgency due to the general immorality going on there. Your individual risk is low but it is an extremely dodgy place, sort of think Pattaya but with jihad. 

They do not target Westerners, but stay away from crowds down there. Your embassy's travel advice will be not to go there, but it is not really that dangerous for careful travelers.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, BritTim said:

They do not target Westerners, but stay away from crowds down there. Your embassy's travel advice will be not to go there, but it is not really that dangerous for careful travelers.

They don't actively target Westerners specifically, no, but that town is a particular target for the insurgency and you could be in the wrong place at the wrong time. It's mostly motorbike bombs AFAIK, left outside places and then remotely detonated. Hence why I said individual risk is probably low particularly if you are just transiting through but it is a risk and it's not completely academic, there ARE frequent bombings there and I have seen one myself which was a bomb in a motorbike.

I'd say it is higher risk than just "the deep south" in general, as that one town is specifically frequently targeted. I have cycled through Songkhla, Pattani and Narathiwat and on down into Malaysia, and I would say in general about "the deep south" your risk is low, and it was fascinating to visit, basically no tourists at all down there and the people are very friendly and interested to see a foreigner. But that one town I think the risk is higher. Maybe it was just where I happened to see an actual bombing and that left an impact, but from looking at news reports they do seem frequent there in particular.

Maybe worth noting there is another border further east, on the coast, at Tak Bai- it's a ferry border but just a really short one over a river, it is I think far "quieter" and safer. I wouldn't say absolutely don't go to Golok, but it pays to be aware.

Edited by blorg

1 hour ago, Somtamnication said:

Travel at your own risk. 

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/media/55c376abe5274a5473000007/150730_Thailand_pdf.pdf

Once an Advisory/Warning is issued any and all travel/accident insurance is invalid. 

On 7/19/2017 at 3:53 PM, Somtamnication said:

Reports noted. Thanks.

So what is the issue at Ranong with ME Non O? First I have heard of issues there. Been 8 years since I have been up there.

I can't say for sure because I've only crossed there once and that was years ago (on a non-B multi entry if it matters), but my advice would be - get a Myanmar visa, stay a night or two on the Myanmar side and then cross back to Ranong and you should be OK. Same day in/outs could be a problem, part of the issue is with Myanmar not allowing further travel except with a visa. Time and time again foreigners in this situation either don't know this, refuse to get a Myanmar visa (perhaps because they want to save a few bucks but this is a bad strategy) or don't go to another crossing.

• 2 weeks later...

Just spoken to my friendly local visa run agent. He says currently at Ranong (Andaman Club) it is 20k or 500 Baht inside your passport. I am off there tomorrow, so I'll see what they do with me and report back...

• Thanks 1

...Just arrived home. No questions, no money shown, no hassle at all. Took about 20 seconds in and out.

That does not mean others have not been given a difficult time, but for me today it was perfectly straightforward. 

• 4 months later...

Just to confirm that the Andaman pier is hassle free. I was there today 19/12/17 and nobody was having any bother. No funds asked for over or under the table and the officials were friendly and efficient.