UK soap star's four million baht Thai hospital bill - yet more fiction from "The Sun"

snoop1130

UK soap star's four million baht Thai hospital bill - yet more fiction from "The Sun"

856.JPG

The hospital on Samui treating a former UK soap star after he fell at a waterfall has hit back at UK media that suggested his treatment would be four million baht.

While it appears that the soap star doesn't appear to have any money.

The claim about the hospital bill was made in the UK's "The Sun" after Paul Nicholls was rescued by police and medics after spending several days by an isolated stream.

Mr Nicholls, who appeared in "Eastenders" on BBC 1 from 1996, broke his leg and suffered a serious smashed kneecap.

Thai International Hospital director Dr Dunyakit Withayajanyaphong said that the star's treatment would come to 500,000.

Mr Nicholls had told the hospital that he could not afford that and he will be transferred to Koh Samui Hospital.

Thai International said they were already out of pocket to the tune of 46,000 after Mr Nicholls said he had no money.

He hasn't paid a single baht of his bill.

Dr Dunyakit said that his hospital were the latest victims of erroneous reporting in the foreign press. He said they had done everything to help the tourist but had lost face due to the false story.

He didn't know how "The Sun" had come to the conclusion the cost was 4 million - there was no way it could be that much. He said that the main problem for Mr Nicholls was that he needed extensive treatment on his knee including a 14 day course of injections to prevent infection.

He would be repatriated to the UK for an operation on his knee, he said.

Asked about the misunderstanding about the bill the doctor said it may have been the fault of the patient who probably got confused as he suffers from what Daily News reported as Pi-Bolar.

Thaivisa assumes they meant the condition bi-polar where sufferers can misunderstand information. It appeared that it was not just the UK press that could make mistakes.

Source: https://www.dailynews.co.th/regional/586538

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-7-20

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

22 minutes ago, snoop1130 said:

Thaivisa assumes they meant the condition bi-polar where sufferers can misunderstand information. It appeared that it was not just the UK press that could make mistakes.

I think there is a huge difference between a spelling mistake and exaggerating a bill eightfold.

25 minutes ago, snoop1130 said:

Thai International said they were already out of pocket to the tune of 46,000 after Mr Nicholls said he had no money.

This guy has been a successful (well paid) actor for years but seems to have pi55ed most of it up against the wall. Not to mention his (alleged) expensive drugs habit.

Is there a GoFundMe campaign yet?

This guy has been a successful (well paid) actor for years but seems to have pi55ed most of it up against the wall. Not to mention his (alleged) expensive drugs habit.

Won't be long and adoring fans will leave around half a mill dollars and he will keep the balance of course.

Was he that stupid to go abroad without medical/accident insurance coverage?

Will some people once again be all that stupid and fund recklessness and carelessness of others?

Another reason for the hassles to come up regarding medical/accident insurance coverage at arrivals by immigration,  towards tourists/visitors/expats anybody entering the country...thanks to such people, assuming of course that he is not covered.

Edited by observer90210

Quite simple  how the Sun got it wrong. The original report I saw said the bill was around 90,000 Baht. The Sun got the currency wrong and reported it to be 90,000 GBP which is around 4 million THB.  Just sloppy reporting. 

1 minute ago, coolsumma said:

Quite simple  how the Sun got it wrong. The original report I saw said the bill was around 90,000 Baht. The Sun got the currency wrong and reported it to be 90,000 GBP which is around 4 million THB.  Just sloppy reporting. 

How can you say such a thing about the Sun?

Sloppy reporting never.:cheesy:

I can tell you from personally experience of breaking my Tib and Fib and also watching my brother in agony over a smashed knee cap (He and I could take quite a bit of pain him being ex-special forces) that sitting in the jungle for a week with a smashed knee cap AND broken leg must have been rather unpleasant! He is a very lucky lad to have been found in time.

25 minutes ago, coolsumma said:

Everybody from the UK will know about how good "The Sun" can be at correct information.. remember Hillsborough 

43 minutes ago, coolsumma said:

The Sun, like the Express or the Mirror were never really interested in facts.

Whether you like it or not, the proposal to bring in compulsory health insurance for visiting Thailand is maybe not such a bad thing?  For starters it would cover idiots like this one, when they run up large medical bills, be they 90000 or 4000000 THB.

The Sun - owned by the geriatric, serial root rat Rupert. Glad he is American. The paper is a rag, as are several of its stablemates around the globe. In the early 70's in the UK, I would scan it for a laugh, before buying the Guardian.

11 hours ago, TheLobster said:

Hopefully he gets back to England okay and gets sorted.

At least his hospital bill has been reduced thanks to 'The Sun'.

The Sun did nothing but report false news.

1 hour ago, soalbundy said:

The Sun, like the Express or the Mirror were never really interested in facts.

Please be so kind to supply me with the name of a newspaper, or tv news program, really interested in truthful, unbiased reporting.

Not necessarily British, throw your net worldwide.

It should be made compulsory for anyone travelling overseas to have insurance no insurance no travel part and parcel of travelling simple as that it's not a hard equation... seriously what is wrong with people.

49 minutes ago, mikosan said:

Whether you like it or not, the proposal to bring in compulsory health insurance for visiting Thailand is maybe not such a bad thing?  For starters it would cover idiots like this one, when they run up large medical bills, be they 90000 or 4000000 THB.

Well, I guess you are right.

However, insurance is age related, pre existing  problems related, and in general  difficult to obtain when you  are on insurance company's  s**tlist.

Don't forget expats living in Thailand for years, not able to get any insurance, or a greatly reduced insurance, or loosing the insurance reaching 70.

Time to implement the planned state insurance maybe?

A plan that would probably be rather profitable.

Edited by hansnl

I believe I said 'visiting' Thailand in my comment.  I am perfectly aware that for some of us who live here that it is difficult, even impossible, to get insurance and even those who have, me included, it expires when I am 70.  That is a rather different, but also important, issue, but not one we are discussing at present.

Edited by mikosan

5 minutes ago, hansnl said:

Don't forget expats living in Thailand for years, not able to get any insurance, or a greatly reduced insurance, or loosing the insurance reaching 70.

Time to implement the planned state insurance maybe?

I believe I said 'visiting' Thailand in my comment.  I am perfectly aware that for some of us who live here that it is difficult, even impossible, to get insurance and even those who have, me included, it expires when I am 70.  That is a rather different, but also important, issue, but not one we are discussing at present.

19 hours ago, chickenslegs said:

And so out of pocket is he that although he could afford the airfare to Thailand and presumably money to pay for food and accommodation, he did not have enough for any form of health insurance or travel insurance.