Not again - Pattaya "Environmental Disaster Zone II"

webfact

4 hours ago, jaywalker said:

Agreed.

That's one of the precious few things about the USA I still like. DO NOT LITTER!

There are actually all kinds of DO NOT LITTER signposts all over Pattaya, too. And I've watched Thai natives many times - they take all garbage to the bins. I would rather have an eye on the tourists, just saying. 

Perhaps if more effort was spent keeping people from dumping trash in the rivers instead of worrying about some singers pelvic thrusts or street vendors being unsightly or what time bars/restaurants close. Give people a sanitary place to dump their trash and yes water with brown trout needs to be properly processed before just dumping it in the ocean. 

10 hours ago, LennyW said:

Cant believe this crap gets bandwidth, has nobody noticed its been raining heavily lately ?? and these massive storm drains are .....well, draining the water from storms!! Surprise surprise!! 

And to correct the article, Pollution and excrement is NOT pumped into the sea......the storm water run off carries with it all that is free to move and drains into the sea!!!.

You sir, are absolutely 100%, to be politically correct and not call you a liar, are stating information that is erroneous. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Keesters said:

Thailand is an incredibly filthy place. The people don't care. The government don't care.

See  Facebook @DirtyThailand

I couldn't believe my eyes today. I saw a man come out of an oil change garage and pour the oil into the sewer out front. They don't even know better or could care less! 

Castrol Garage.jpg

Fecal coliform test kits are readily available in the US for $10 each. They are typically used to test potable/well water, but will also measure seawater. Test results take 48 hours  from sampling. I will bring some back on my next US trip and post some results.  

• 11 months later...
On 7/21/2017 at 8:28 AM, LennyW said:

Cant believe this crap gets bandwidth, has nobody noticed its been raining heavily lately ?? and these massive storm drains are .....well, draining the water from storms!! Surprise surprise!! 

And to correct the article, Pollution and excrement is NOT pumped into the sea......the storm water run off carries with it all that is free to move and drains into the sea!!!.

Are you saying that the sewage pipes that  dump into the bay do not exist?

There have been multiple articles from all of the media outlets documenting the effluent. The government has even stated its intent to stop the  dumping of raw sewage into the sea.

Need a reminder?

http://www.pattayamail.com/news/pattaya-sewage-problem-government-crosshairs-186138

In respect to the storm drains dumping runoff, are you aware that this practice  is discouraged in countries which value their water resources and shorelines? In a country  where there is always storm runoff, the failure to  treat such  runoff is the equivalent of  dumping raw sewage intentionally. 

Pattaya is subject to heavy rain is it not? There is a monsoon season for many months is there not? To not address the runoff which is expected and predictable every year is irresponsible. There are no holding basins, no attempt to  screen some of the larger objects from draining into the sea, not even  grates. It just gets dumped. 

It's great that you are comfortable living near what has become a sewage pond. The locals need people like you, since quality tourists will not pay premium prices to frolic in feces and filth. Unfortunately, Pattaya is across from the  higher quality parts of Thailand  like Hua Hin and Cha Am and the filth finds its way onto their beaches, and contaminates those residents, who do care.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, geriatrickid said:

Are you saying that the sewage pipes that  dump into the bay do not exist?

There have been multiple articles from all of the media outlets documenting the effluent. The government has even stated its intent to stop the  dumping of raw sewage into the sea.

Unfortunately, intent is not enough...