Soi Siam Country Club wrestles with mud

Rimmer

Soi Siam Country Club wrestles with mud

1251_n6Siam.jpg

Soi Siam Country Club residents thought they had it bad before. And then it rained hard.

The street, in shambles due to long-delayed reconstruction, became a mud-wrestling venue July 11 after heavy storms hit Pattaya.

Homes and shops were flooded with muddy runoff and navigating the devastation proved nearly impossible.

A motorbike repairman said his store located right near a major dig site was hit hard. Water backs up in the dug-up road and flows back into his shop.

Worse, the overflow rushes from his store into homes of nearby residents and takes hours to drain.

Roadwork, detours and inconvenience related to installation of new drainage pipes and resurfacing of the road began Jan. 25, 2016 and was supposed to be completed April 4 this year. But in May, Nongprue Mayor Mai Chaiyanit said the construction had been halted indefinitely due to heavy rain and flooding. Completion was estimated at year-end.

Following the latest round of complaints from outraged residents, Nongprue Mayor Mai Chaiyanit said July 17 that the completion date was moved up to October. Given that that month has the heaviest rain of the season – and that work already was delayed due to weather – residents remain skeptical.

Read more: http://www.pattayamail.com/news/soi-siam-country-club-wrestles-mud-181215

pattaya_mail_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Pattaya Mail 2017-07-21

I've been in Pattaya 25+ years and this is one of--if not the worst, abomination of a construction project I've ever seen! Delays, cost overruns, sub par construction, no end in sight....basically this project has it all! I thought it was a good idea buying out this direction and getting out of central Pattaya, but now I have my doubts.

I hope they continue to block the road for a long, long time.
It's actually more pleasant without all the traffic pollution.
Soi Siam CC was used (abused) as a rat run from Sukhumvit to 
Highway 36......  generating  a constant stream of ballast trucks, 
cement trucks, mini buses and generic Hell's Angels.

A loss for the business people - but a win for the quiet, natural 
environment out at Lake Mapbrachan.:smile:

rat run.jpg

6 hours ago, johnnybgood said:

I hope they continue to block the road for a long, long time.
It's actually more pleasant without all the traffic pollution.
Soi Siam CC was used (abused) as a rat run from Sukhumvit to 
Highway 36......  generating  a constant stream of ballast trucks, 
cement trucks, mini buses and generic Hell's Angels.

A loss for the business people - but a win for the quiet, natural 
environment out at Lake Mapbrachan.:smile:

rat run.jpg

Good thinking. Wouldn't it be great if they did a project like that on Beach Rd. Then they would make 2nd Rd. two way- win win.:smile:

On 7/23/2017 at 8:30 AM, CutiePi said:

The real crime is this stretch of road was completely dug-up and resurfaced only a few years ago and the drainage and other work could have been done then.

That would be using foresight.........doesn't happen much in the LOS; plus like my wife told me, if they have to fix things all the time more money gets passed around....wouldn't want to do it right the first time and make it last, less chance for any future work.

Yes, the shop owners should have patience, and they will be sooooo happy and understanding, when this is finished. Of course there will have been a few miscalculations, and probably have to be dug up again, same as the Suk tunnel. I can understand, it hardly rains in Thailand, so hard to predict  things. Detours? Yes, of course after you start on the detour, no other signs to give further directions, just go down every soi, and hope it goes where you want to go.