24 hours to report to immigration?

I have been living in my Thai wifes house for ten years. Periodically we take trips to the UK to visit my family. Now I am told that within 24 hours of our return to Thailand each time she must notify the immigration authorities in the area where we live. We have never done this before and nothing has happened. Does she have to do this and if so can she do it by phone? Our immigration office is miles away.

For information I am on a retirement visa and have to present my wifes id and tabien baan each time my visa is extended. Thanks for any advice.

Call your local office and ask them. If they do want it they might let you submit the TM30 by post. As you haven't been asked to do this in the past it's unlikely your office is enforcing this law.

It's not within 24 hours of arriving in Thailand, but arriving at the address being reported. They will go by the date written on the form.

The worst case for not reporting is a max 2,000 baht fine, but the standard fine is 800 baht.

I just did 90 day reporting and was given a TM30 for my wife to fill out within 24 hours every time I re-enter the country. I asked if it was new, she said Ubon was just being more strict about it because of problems with criminals. 

I think we submitted one in the last four years. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, elviajero said:

Generally that's only for registered businesses. 

I asked as I would probably be back on a Friday. I was told I could do it on line. They knew I was asking for myself. 

I would still not do it online myself  as I don't trust the system. 

Just done my 90 days at Amnat I was back on the UK for easter came back to my home in Yasothon as normal did not advise them of my rsturn*never have) as I am registered in my marital home here already. Amnat looked at my visa checked the stamp issued on arrival issued me a new 90day slip and smiled and said have a nice day sir. Perfect !

Sent from my SM-J120H using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Guitar God said:

I just did 90 day reporting and was given a TM30 for my wife to fill out within 24 hours every time I re-enter the country.  I asked if it was new, she said Ubon was just being more strict about it because of problems with criminals. 

They have been asking for it for sometime now when you re-enter the country. It is 24 house from the time you arrive at your residence not the country.

6 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Unless your office says you have to report you do not need to worry about it. Not all offices want you to report when you re-enter the country.

Many only want the report if you changes addresses.

I do believe it is actually required - althought not often asked for. 

If you dont have an actual immigration office in your province you can however report to and hand in the required form ..T something or another to your local police station

38 minutes ago, Chicken George said:

I asked as I would probably be back on a Friday. I was told I could do it on line. They knew I was asking for myself. 

I would still not do it online myself  as I don't trust the system. 

In case there is something new we are not aware of, which office told you this, and did they give you a url and sign in instructions? I suspect this was confusion with the notification of more than 90 days in country, but you never know.

14 minutes ago, DerekMarshall said:

I do believe it is actually required - althought not often asked for. 

It depends upon how somebody interprets the requirement in the immigration act. The correct interpretation is that it is required when you arrive at the residence for the first time.

5 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

It depends upon how somebody interprets the requirement in the immigration act. The correct interpretation is that it is required when you arrive at the residence for the first time.

I left for a week on 30 April to Australia and checked with the usual immigration office as my 90 days was up for renewal and was issued just before I left, and they said your 90 days starts again when you re-enter Thailand on the 8th May, no mention about reporting back to them within 24 hours. That is Sakon Nakhon office and I am on an extension of stay based on being married to a Thai, so will be very interesting when I rock up in about 10 days time to do my 90 days again.

11 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Thanks for the confirmation. Thats what I have been telling a couple of people; problem is that in some locations the BiB can't work out the 'correct interpretation'.

YOU (  not her ) a foreinger, have REentered Thailand,  and are staying at HER address, she has 24 hours to report your address on a TM-30. ( Even if you only stay 1 night )  If not reported, SHE is subject to a fine, not you, it has been on the books for years. It is NOT only for hotels, guest houses and etc.

My 2 cents worth:

Immigration has been cracking down on ALL regulations for the past few months. Look at the postings of people trying to enter Thailand for 30 days without 20,000THB, or exchangeable currency, in CASH!!

There is no such thing as a "retirement visa" - although IO'ers have told me my "retirement visa" expires in 30 days.  My guess is that you have a " extension of stay based on retirement "

Everyone....Tomorrow would be a good time to go over ALL of your paperwork and make sure it is in order.  I do my 90 days 5 days in advance as well as 30 days in advance for my """""" retirement visa""""" just in case there is a problem - you then have time to try and solve the problem.

• Like 2

I got to do this everytime at Sriracha imigration, but last time (2 weeks ago) i have go there to give the TM30 they say i dont need to do it anymore except if i change of adress.
This because i have now a long term visa and my adress have been verified during the 1 year extention process (O visa multy entry, but before i extend it with the 1 year stamp i got to give a TM30 every time)

2 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Changmai.  Need the bottom of the tm 30 for the yearly extension.  Never had one before.  When you go to get the tm 30 done they fine the Thai 1600 baht.  They don't care.  She should have known is the standard reply.

3 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

They have been asking for it for sometime now when you re-enter the country. It is 24 house from the time you arrive at your residence not the country.

UbonJoe.       I have the  same conditions as the gentleman above who has been lived in Thailand for years.. We have had our home since 1982 .. I have traveled back to Thailand many times in that time period..  Fact.  We will be returning this November.   In preparation to receive our container shipment..   I am finally going to retire there in the Land of Smiles..   Just North of Udon Thani..   Guess I better stop by our station in Kut Chap..   Cheers..   

19 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Unless your office says you have to report you do not need to worry about it. Not all offices want you to report when you re-enter the country.

Many only want the report if you changes addresses.

I'm flying in next month, and my address will be the same as last year. Will I have to notify Immigration (Jomtien)?

thanks.

This 24 hour reporting law is so ambiguous and open to local interpretation that you really need to speak to your nearest immigration office for their ruling . For what it counts and as mentioned previously by Edwardflory it is the owner of the property that you are staying at who needs to report your presence . Now , there will be many Thais who will be unaware of that law and the fact that they are liable for the 800 baht + fine .

BTW a mini Google search stated  " no need to report if you are away from your residence for 14 days or under , be it in or out of Thailand " . 

Edited by superal
forgot to add police station

11 hours ago, HuaKuaGuy88 said:

UbonJoe.       I have the  same conditions as the gentleman above who has been lived in Thailand for years.. We have had our home since 1982 .. I have traveled back to Thailand many times in that time period..  Fact.  We will be returning this November.   In preparation to receive our container shipment..   I am finally going to retire there in the Land of Smiles..   Just North of Udon Thani..   Guess I better stop by our station in Kut Chap..   Cheers..   

If you will be reporting to Udon immigration from other reports they will not expect you to report.

1 hour ago, Djw6 said:

I'm flying in next month, and my address will be the same as last year. Will I have to notify Immigration (Jomtien)?

thanks.

It depends upon your status here. If entering on a visa exempt or tourist visa they will want you to a TM30 report.

I just got back to Thailand after a trip to the UK and had the similar quandary.

My office (Jomtiem-Chonburi) has never asked this of me before, so I have decided not to bother. I filled in the TM6 with my address as usual at the airport. I live in a house in my name.

I shall see when I do my 90 day reporting in person, but am not expecting any issues.

Don't take this as advice, merely a statement of opinion. One day, I believe I might be challenged over this and perhaps be hit by a fine, likely a new officer or one in some need perhaps! And from that day hence I will change my ways. :-)

Edited by jacko45k
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, superal said:

This 24 hour reporting law is so ambiguous and open to local interpretation that you really need to speak to your nearest immigration office for their ruling . For what it counts and as mentioned previously by Edwardflory it is the owner of the property that you are staying at who needs to report your presence . Now , there will be many Thais who will be unaware of that law and the fact that they are liable for the 800 baht + fine .

BTW a mini Google search stated  " no need to report if you are away from your residence for 14 days or under , be it in or out of Thailand " . 

You find that many immigration offices will put the responsibility for the TM30 on the tenant instead of the owner.

The 14 days was stated at one immigration and does not apply to all immigration offices.

Most police stations will not accept the report.

Further to the Chaing Mai office, I have the notification part of the TM30 in my passport from nearly 2 years ago now(my landlord went to renew it when I renewed lease this year they said no need), it has two stamps and dates on it from when I have come back from trips and I had reported within the 24 hours of getting back to my residence. This is just for info I know not all offices work the same, I will have to learn a whole new procedure when I move to Buri Ram later this year.

34 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

You find that many immigration offices will put the responsibility for the TM30 on the tenant instead of the owner.

The 14 days was stated at one immigration and does not apply to all immigration offices.

Most police stations will not accept the report.

Thai legislation is open to local province interpretation , at least that is the way that I see it and is a guideline . The imm; law clearly states that the TH30 is the responsibility of the property owner  , no deviations suggested . Again imm; law clearly states that in the case of no immigration office , report to the nearest police station . Seems like there are laws within laws . What chance does the innocent falang have if not quite compliant  ?  Its a bit like playing a card game ( in another country of course ) with your opponent able to see your hand .                                     

2 minutes ago, superal said:

The imm; law clearly states that the TH30 is the responsibility of the property owner  , no deviations suggested .

From the immigration act.

Section 38 : The house – master , the owner or the possessor of the residence , or the hotel manager
where the alien , receiving permission to stay temporary in the Kingdom has stayed , must notify the
competent official of the Immigration Office located in the same area with that hours , dwelling place or
hotel, within 24 hours from the time of arrival of the alien concerned. If there is no Immigration Office
located in that area , the local police official for that area must be notified.

Section 4 : In this Act :

House Master ” means any persons who is the chief possessor of a house , whether in the capacity of
owner , tenant , or in any other capacity whatsoever , in accordance with the law on people act.

10 minutes ago, superal said:

Again imm; law clearly states that in the case of no immigration office , report to the nearest police station .

As you see it states in the area but the police interpret it to mean within the province. There are very few provinces that don't have immigration offices now. Also some immigration offices might not accept a report to the police.

10 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

From the immigration act.

As you see it states in the area but the police interpret it to mean within the province. There are very few provinces that don't have immigration offices now. Also some immigration offices might not accept a report to the police.

Again , "interpretation" is the key factor . A smooth talking barrister would have a field day with this .