Getting tourist visa on arrival with deportation stamp in passport

Hi folks, I got deported from another ASEAN country not long ago, for journalism-related reasons (not a violent crime, or drugs, or anything) and have a rather prominent and noticeable stamp in my passport now.

Do the airport entry forms for the 30-day visa on arrival ask about previous deportation? Do ASEAN countries share this kind of info between their departments? 

I'm wondering if I should get a new passport, or if I'm just generally screwed...I am certainly not going to lie to immigration, but then I don't want to find myself explaining a journalism-related deportation while applying for a tourist visa.

Anyone have any info or thoughts to offer? Would be really helpful to hear from someone. 

Thanks for the reply, I think I will definitely get a new passport. Do they even ask on the entry form for visa on arrival if you've been deported from another country before? I've gotten it so many times already but never had to pay attention or think about it before this so I don't remember. 

Edited by David214

4 minutes ago, David214 said:

Thanks for the reply, I think I will definitely get a new passport. Do they even ask on the entry form for visa on arrival if you've been deported from another country before? I've gotten it so many times already but never had to pay attention or think about it before this so I don't remember. 

Which of these 21 countries are you from?  They are the only countries for which visa on arrival is available in Thailand.

Screenshot 2017-07-22 07.40.39.png

There is no form to fill out for a visa exempt entry.

However, having been deported from another country is a reason that can be used to deny you entry to Thailand under Section 12.11 of the immigration act.

"Being deported by either the Government of Thailand that of or other foreign countries ; or

the right of stay in the Kingdom or in foreign countries having been revoked ; or having been sent out of the Kingdom by competent officials at the expense of the Government of Thailand unless the Minister shall consider exemption on an individual special case basis."

Probably best not to try entering with that stamp in your passport.

• Like 1

With a new passport, I doubt there will be an issue, but I do not think this is certain. First, something not to worry about. Neither when entering visa exempt, nor applying for a tourist visa, are you asked whether you were ever deported from anywhere. On the other hand, I would not be totally confident that details of those deported are not shared by Asean countries. It is possible, but probably unlikely, that immigration's system might contain a list.

8 hours ago, David214 said:

New passport definitely wise. But no, they don't ask this question on the arrival card. 

Dumb Question Of course get a new passport 

Edited by ubonjoe
Changed to default font, Forum Netiquette 1. Please do not post in all capital letters, bold, unusual fonts, sizes or colors. It can be difficult to read.

18 hours ago, David214 said:

doesnt detract from your basic issues, however might want to differentiate from 'visa exempt' and 'visa on arrival'; NOT the same thing

19 hours ago, David214 said:

I'm from the US so I suppose it's technically "visa exempt" — sorry for the mixup

Yes same aussie, nz , ++++++++++++++++++ blar blar they can look it up 

Well hope fully they wont see it unless it pretty obvious place they put a RED mark for deportation, and no they dont share the same data base among ASEAN immigration database but if you are among those made it to NO fly list then trust me many places you will have the same scenario regardless of your visa or intention. Thus if possible change this on now and see what happens. Best of luck

For goodness sakes, do the last few posters not know how to read. OP has alreadt stated they will get a new passport.  Talk about pointless posts when they can even read the whole thread.

Surely Immigration officers will still see the deportation on their computer, so not sure a new passport will make much difference.
  • Like 1

On 22/07/2017 at 9:28 PM, tonray said:

I think getting a new passport would be a good option. Thailand's immigration database would only contain info from entries/exits into/out of Thailand not other countries. I doubt there is any sharing of information unless you are an international money launderer or pervert

Plenty of money launderers and perverts allowed into Thailand!

What's your point ?!

On 22/07/2017 at 9:44 PM, David214 said:

I'm from the US so I suppose it's technically "visa exempt" — sorry for the mixup

Pity Trump won't get round to building the wall and keep you lot under wraps.

47 minutes ago, David214 said:

you mean even if the deportation is from another country, they will see it on their computer?

If the ASEAN country in question has recorded the OP's deportation electronically in addition to plonking a stamp in his passport, it may well become apparent to an IO at BKK upon swiping the photopage of even a replacement passport through their scanner. As has been documented several times on here, Thai Immigration are now capable of linking old and new passports.

Edited by OJAS

3 hours ago, OJAS said:

If the ASEAN country in question has recorded the OP's deportation electronically in addition to plonking a stamp in his passport, it may well become apparent to an IO at BKK upon swiping the photopage of even a replacement passport through their scanner. As has been documented several times on here, Thai Immigration are now capable of linking old and new passports.

There is no question that Thai immigration "links" old & new passports as far as one's immigration history with Thailand goes.  Getting a new passport certainly doesn't erase all those back-to-back visits to the country, one's accumulated visa collection, and things like overstays or deportations from Thailand.  No way in fact to conceal that history, even with a name change in the case of U.S. citizens.  BUT your comment is the first I've ever heard about this "electronic" record of a deportation getting shared between countries.  Recording a deportation (for example) "electronically" in Country A, whatever that actually means, doesn't  mean that Country B become magically aware of it unless they either see the stamp in the passport (so, NON-electronically) or are participating in some kind of mutually accessible, i.e., "shared", database.  I've never heard of such a real-time database in use between countries anywhere except between the U.S. and Canada (who share criminal records), or the INTERPOL lists, or no-fly lists.  I wouldn't have thought in the OP's case that if he gets a new PP, Thai immigration would be aware of the deportation from the other country, unless ICW something high-profile that would put it in the international wanted lists.  So please tell us more.

20 hours ago, hawker9000 said:

There is no question that Thai immigration "links" old & new passports as far as one's immigration history with Thailand goes.  Getting a new passport certainly doesn't erase all those back-to-back visits to the country, one's accumulated visa collection, and things like overstays or deportations from Thailand.  No way in fact to conceal that history, even with a name change in the case of U.S. citizens.  BUT your comment is the first I've ever heard about this "electronic" record of a deportation getting shared between countries.  Recording a deportation (for example) "electronically" in Country A, whatever that actually means, doesn't  mean that Country B become magically aware of it unless they either see the stamp in the passport (so, NON-electronically) or are participating in some kind of mutually accessible, i.e., "shared", database.  I've never heard of such a real-time database in use between countries anywhere except between the U.S. and Canada (who share criminal records), or the INTERPOL lists, or no-fly lists.  I wouldn't have thought in the OP's case that if he gets a new PP, Thai immigration would be aware of the deportation from the other country, unless ICW something high-profile that would put it in the international wanted lists.  So please tell us more.

As I see things this is not so much an issue relating to the sharing of information between countries but rather about what sort of information any immigration officer anywhere on this great planet of ours can see when swiping one's passport photopage through their scanner. This is a jealously-guarded secret among the worldwide immigration officer community, of course, but it would, I think, be foolish for the OP to assume that a Thai immigration officer would not have access through this means to information relating to his deportation from the other ASEAN country. And Cambodia are 1 ASEAN country at least who, I gather, do issue e-visas - if this happened to be the country from which the OP was deported (which he has not clarified for us) would it not be logical to infer that the possibility at least might exist that they equally have the wherewithal to issue e-deportation notices (in addition to plonking a stamp in one's passport in this particular instance)?

Edited by OJAS

I personally know two cases of people being deported and  banned from Thailand under section 12.7 that have been entering Malaysia with no issues over the last 5 years with a new passport.

I also am aware of an overstayer that got deported with a 5 year ban, that person had no problem whatsoever entering Cambodia. This last one is recent.

Both Malaysia and Cambodia are ASEAN.

Systems are not linked.

Let's stop the speculation.

Edited by lkv

I personally know two cases of people being deported and  banned from Thailand under section 12.7 that have been entering Malaysia with no issues over the last 5 years with a new passport.

I also am aware of an overstayer that got deported with a 5 year ban, that person had no problem whatsoever entering Cambodia. This last one is recent.

Both Malaysia and Cambodia are ASEAN.

Systems are not linked.

Let's stop the speculation.

The fact that they were admitted to those countries does not tell you that the systems are not linked.

5 hours ago, brewsterbudgen said:

The fact that they were admitted to those countries does not tell you that the systems are not linked.

It is fair to assume that an Immigration officer in Malaysia does not see in his computer a deportation from Thailand. Therefore, it's fair to assume the reverse is valid.

Let's just say there is an extremely high probability they are not linked.

The people I was talking about were not asked any questions whatsoever upon entering those countries. They were travelling on new passports, which is highly recommended when you have a deportation stamp in your passport.

It is fair to assume that an Immigration officer in Malaysia does not see in his computer a deportation from Thailand. Therefore, it's fair to assume the reverse is valid.

Let's just say there is an extremely high probability they are not linked.

The people I was talking about were not asked any questions whatsoever upon entering those countries. They were travelling on new passports, which is highly recommended when you have a deportation stamp in your passport.

You are probably right. If someone was deported from a western country like the UK, I wonder whether the deportation would be electronically recorded and thus available for a US Immigration Officer to see on their computer system?