Video: Crisis at Pattaya beach! Thai media steps up campaign to clean up resort

webfact

Video: Crisis at Pattaya beach! Thai media steps up campaign to clean up resort

11pm.jpg

Image: video screenshot

PATTAYA: -- Sophon Cable TV have produced a damning and stark video that slams filthy Pattaya talking of the resort's "shame".

The footage is all about the disgraceful state of the beach. There is no commentary just a series of images with dramatic music and banners in Thai.

The first calls the situation in Pattaya a "crisis".

One talks of the disappointment of tourists who come on holiday - and then shows Asian tourists clambering over rubbish and bottles covered in brown waste.

One screams of Pattaya's shame.

A boy's face is one of utter distaste - he doesn't look happy and wants to be elsewhere.

It shows navy and local authorities trying to clear up the mess - but it looks hopeless as the images turn to black and white and the music becomes increasingly dramatic.

A backhoe on the beach makes it look more like a building site or a wasteland than a place to take a holiday.

What is causing this crisis? - they ask.

And who will take responsibility?

In a tagline Sophon ask people to share the video across social media. Sophon have already been active in running stories about the continuing battle with pollution and trash on the city's beaches.

Source: Sophon Cable

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-07-28

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

16 minutes ago, hargri said:

All that is happening to date is a case of dealing, not very efficiently, with symptoms of the underlying problems. Until they effectively resolve waste and sewage disposal issues any cleanup will be merely cosmetic and temporary.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Thaivisa Connect mobile app

That would mean any money that's supposed to fix the problem would not find its way into the correct pockets.

Not likely to happen anytime soon.

Sophon certainly does seem to have the bit firmly between their teeth on this dirty beach issue. Maybe it's more than just drumming up customers to compete against BTV and TMN.

TMN had a regular spot with a reporter digging dirt on local infrastructure deficiencies like broken water mains, unfinished roadworks and accident blind spots. If he's not there any more, maybe he's moved to Sophon.

Yearly some 35 million tourists visit Thailand generating near 2,000 BILLION Baht in tourist revenues....
You simply CANNOT believe that Thailand is not taking care of their well being. Sabai sabai mentality will never change.

3 hours ago, hargri said:

All that is happening to date is a case of dealing, not very efficiently, with symptoms of the underlying problems. Until they effectively resolve waste and sewage disposal issues any cleanup will be merely cosmetic and temporary.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Thaivisa Connect mobile app

Exactly...all very well for these videos showing the "cosmetic" cleanup....until they STOP pouring raw sewerage/waste water  trash empty bottles, plastics and leftovers from the thousands of food sellers into the ocean......nothing absolutely nothing is going to change.

Good on Sophon Cable for highlighting it......but how long will they continue to do so before the infamous Article 44 is slammed on them "for ruining Thailands reputation"

"Turd-aya".......World class family resort?.....yea right

Good on you Sophon and others trying to get the authorities off their collective behinds.

Keep up the "dredging" and publicity to hopefully shame the authorities into planning and taking action towards permanent solutions some time in the not too distant future.

They don't seem to have any strategic planning in place to deal with this; only piecemeal, reactionary efforts.

I won't walk on or swim at any of the beaches in and around Pattaya.  I  swim only in private / public pools and god knows most of them are not much better.

1 hour ago, NanLaew said:

Sophon certainly does seem to have the bit firmly between their teeth on this dirty beach issue. Maybe it's more than just drumming up customers to compete against BTV and TMN.

TMN had a regular spot with a reporter digging dirt on local infrastructure deficiencies like broken water mains, unfinished roadworks and accident blind spots. If he's not there any more, maybe he's moved to Sophon.

...any reports about a TMN reporter's tragic accident lately? Makes me wonder what is the greater health risk these days, taking a dip in Pattaya's family resort sewage, or working for Sophon?

Now I wait for the TV statement of the sporty Lady sitting in front of an LCD screen showing a pristine and flawless beach (archive photo) behind her, while blaming evil spirits, unforeseen weather conditions and environmental carelessness of a few foreign (non Chinese) tourist for the mess.

Edited by Lupatria

37 minutes ago, Destiny1990 said:

How is it with the pattaya beach nourishment project?

Depends on what you call nourishment. 

Some of what is washing up is plenty nourishing to crabs, rats, or plants, but not so good for the cleanliness of the beach or beach goers.

I assume that the big push by media is to get the general's (oops PM) attention.

You have to think that this would be a great project for them to sink their art 44 into.

The amount of good publicity it would get if they started fining people that were pumping into the sea.  maybe they could even set up another water treatment plant.

Good for the economy

Good for Tourism

Good for the country

14 minutes ago, OmarZaid said:

Doesn't bode well for the future eh?

Been going on for years. I remember when I visited Pattaya back in the late 1980s at Wongamat Beach, suspended in the sea water was waste toilet paper which stuck to my legs, not so bad now, but...

Take a look at international sites such as TripAdvisor - all very damning of Pattaya Beach area

7 minutes ago, Graemej100 said:

So does that mean you should do nothing? Just let it pile up? 

It is allowed to pile up. It gets cleaned up maybe 3 or 4 times a week, but the tide comes in 14 times a week.

I've been on Pattaya beach several times during high season when storms have flooded Beach Road. Buses set up a bow wave that floods onto the beach where the chairs are located, depositing the detritus of the Pattaya sois onto the sand (which is better described as unpleasant coarse grit). It's not only the polluted sea that covers the beaches with trash.

Yes, Pattaya was recently rated the 4th worst beach in the world.  Such notoriety seems to be lost on the powers that be.  Nominal attacks on local "gambling dens" populated by 65 year olds and raids on soapy massage parlors do nothing to improve Pattayas image!

There needs to be a systematic and transparant approach to finding and fixing all of Pattayas drainage and trash problems before the goose that laid the golden egg is finally killed.

Sadly the pollution and trash problem just gets worse every year..

Please don't get mad, it is just my opinion!:smile: