Thai media reports devastating rains causing flooding and havoc across Isaan

webfact

1 hour ago, janpharma said:

A few years ago Dutch expert engineers wanted to reach a hand and help...But Thailand refused pretending they know better...Look what is going on now.  It is and will remain a 3rd world country...

Surprised? :whistling:

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

20 km north of KK village is under 2 foot of water. So glad i raised our land by 2mtrs.

Have aprox 20 people here at moment. Most will stay the night i expect. Mrs busy cooking. Rain finaly stopped light drizzle now.

Edited by jeab1980

2 minutes ago, wvavin said:

What is the point of reporting the same thing every year? Every government has no clue of how to deal with the flood and would not seek foreign experts for assistance.

Foreign Experts? Dont get anyone from UK then lol

Will be higher once they open the dam in a bit.  Got out and staying at a dirty sex motel.   Lots of helpful thais in the city.  One woman pushed everyone to get on with her family but everyone else was exemplentary.  Monks and normal people delivered food. 

Just seeing a photo on Line ;

my thai friend who owns Phuphan Bicycles in Sakon Nakhon downtown is under water more than 1 meter;

It was raining all the night and still raining now at 7.12 am ;

my wife said me, a bridge about 300 meters from our house is under water !;

will go and shot it ;

normally water is 4 to 5 meters below ...

Edited by Assurancetourix

18 hours ago, nauseus said:

Good luck. Catch some rain water and boil it just in case.

Boil rainwater? No. Totally unnecessary. Millions of people around the world rely on rainwater. It's got to be the safest you can possibly drink.

I would trust fresh rainwater over bottled water you buy in the stores.

We have a 1,500 liter fiberglass tank that we catch rainwater with. The water gets pumped out of the tank and goes through 18 liters of activated charcoal.  The final filter is a ceramic filter. We have been drinking that water for years with no problem. I change the activated charcoal maybe every 3 years. That may be overkill because we only use maybe 5 liters of drinking water a day. The tank gets cleaned out every  year before the rainy season.

Sawang Daen  din area  river was running a banker at 5.45 am ,in 11/2 hours it had broken the bank and risen 2 metres.

A million bahts worth of fish down the gurgler and most of our livestock drowned. This is the second big flood in 12 months , locals said last years was the highest in living memory and this one is higher already.

1 hour ago, Moonlover said:

Boil rainwater? No. Totally unnecessary. Millions of people around the world rely on rainwater. It's got to be the safest you can possibly drink.

I would trust fresh rainwater over bottled water you buy in the stores.

I said just in case. It's good practice. 

39 minutes ago, ozzydom said:

48 hours non-stop and its still bucketing down.

1 hour ago, ozzydom said:

Sawang Daen  din area  river was running a banker at 5.45 am ,in 11/2 hours it had broken the bank and risen 2 metres.

A million bahts worth of fish down the gurgler and most of our livestock drowned. This is the second big flood in 12 months , locals said last years was the highest in living memory and this one is higher already.

Maybe the people who paid silly money for high ground weren't so silly after all. It has been raining here non stop for several days. We are at 330 meters above sea level and no signs of flooding.

3 hours ago, Gary A said:

We have a 1,500 liter fiberglass tank that we catch rainwater with. The water gets pumped out of the tank and goes through 18 liters of activated charcoal.  The final filter is a ceramic filter. We have been drinking that water for years with no problem. I change the activated charcoal maybe every 3 years. That may be overkill because we only use maybe 5 liters of drinking water a day. The tank gets cleaned out every  year before the rainy season.

I have a couple of 3,000 litre stainless steel rain water tanks but no filters which we have been using for the past 13 years with no problems. We use it for drinking, making coffee, baking etc with no ill effects. Usually they will last the year plus before they run out.

I generally drain and refill them in October/November after we have had about a week of heavy rain, the gutters have been cleaned out and the roof washed clear of bird crap etc.

1 hour ago, Gary A said:

Maybe the people who paid silly money for high ground weren't so silly after all. It has been raining here non stop for several days. We are at 330 meters above sea level and no signs of flooding.

We have a small plot higher than the next 2 plot,  they were going to go to the police because our water fell over to their side and flooded their house. 

It's not just status,  it's practical ,  I also don't have to see them from my window. 

Edited by bearpolar

2 hours ago, ozzydom said:

I am sorry to hear that.

1 hour ago, Gary A said:

Over here in rural Khampaeng Phet by the Mae Wong national park we are at 156 metres AMSL but only about 10 metres above the klong.

Fortunately for us, so far the rain hasn't been too bad and the klong is still relatively low.

I have every sympathy for all the people who get flooded out, Thais as well as farangs.

On 7/28/2017 at 7:56 PM, lvr181 said:

If your 'catchment area' is clean of any bacteria good, but if not, boil it! And if it sits in a rainwater tank a build up of bacteria can be very quick.

And it would seem that the locals have a more cast iron gut than farang. :thumbsup:

Our rain water comes straight off the roof, after waiting for an hour of rain to clean the tiles, and goes straight into concrete cistern's. Before the rainy season the cistern's are thoroughly cleaned, never had a health problem.

4 minutes ago, soalbundy said:

Our rain water comes straight off the roof, after waiting for an hour of rain to clean the tiles, and goes straight into concrete cistern's. Before the rainy season the cistern's are thoroughly cleaned, never had a health problem.

Exactly the same as our system. Which goes through 3 filters then into water tanks and for drinking water it goes through another purpose made water filter. 

9 hours ago, jeab1980 said:

Exactly the same as our system. Which goes through 3 filters then into water tanks and for drinking water it goes through another purpose made water filter. 

Never bothered with filters, we're a tough lot, the black death would have given up on us

Went through one flood back in about 1978.  Water in my MIL's house by the Loei river was nearly one meter. 

In that BKK flood a few years back, our in-laws house just outside BKK had a few inches of water in it.  Good thing we had loaned (Loaned??? 555) them money to put innumerable truckloads of fill dirt in and build it up well over 2 meters before the house was built. 

On 7/28/2017 at 6:04 PM, janpharma said:

A few years ago Dutch expert engineers wanted to reach a hand and help...But Thailand refused pretending they know better...Look what is going on now.  It is and will remain a 3rd world country...

I fail to see what possible help Dutch experts could offer the Issan region.

Whilst they are the acknowledged experts in flood control and mitigation, their country has one big advantage compared with the north east of Thailand. They are next to the sea. Excess water that accumulates in Holland is pumped straight out into the sea, much like bailing out a boat on a huge scale.

There is no such solution in Issan. The water cannot be pumped into the, already swollen rivers, so where on earth do you put it?

Short of a massive series of pipes to channel the water down to the sea, or a huge fleet of tankers, neither of which, I think is practical, I do feel that Issan is doomed to repeat flooding during heavy rainfall. It is a victim of its topography and its location.

On 7/28/2017 at 4:42 AM, bearpolar said:

Army going to block electric at 10pm and release an other dam on unsuspecting civilians(army source) .  Getting out of there on a boat asap. 

Yes ,This is the real problem  mother nature just confirms it.Take care of the goddamn dam's. That never should of happen,those poor people who had no warning of the dam openings.

1 hour ago, Moonlover said:

I fail to see what possible help Dutch experts could offer the Issan region.

Whilst they are the acknowledged experts in flood control and mitigation, their country has one big advantage compared with the north east of Thailand. They are next to the sea. Excess water that accumulates in Holland is pumped straight out into the sea, much like bailing out a boat on a huge scale.

There is no such solution in Issan. The water cannot be pumped into the, already swollen rivers, so where on earth do you put it?

Short of a massive series of pipes to channel the water down to the sea, or a huge fleet of tankers, neither of which, I think is practical, I do feel that Issan is doomed to repeat flooding during heavy rainfall. It is a victim of its topography and its location.

Pipes to the Mekong

Flooding will happen from time to time. The cost of infrastructure to avoid even a 50 year flood is staggering, and wont help when that 100 or 200 year flood strikes. The most important thing is that society is PREPARED. That response agencies have a PLAN. That each citizen know how to survive long enough for said agencies to start responding. 

Having my family in south-east corner of Sakon Nakhon province, so trying to get updates from them. Just how bad is it right now? Still rising?