Trump replaces chief of staff Priebus with retired General Kelly

rooster59

Trump replaces chief of staff Priebus with retired General Kelly

By Steve Holland and Roberta Rampton

640x640 (1).jpg

U.S. President Donald Trump congratulates White House Chief of Staff Reince Priebus during a swearing in ceremony for senior staff at the White House in Washington, DC January 22, 2017. REUTERS/Carlos Barria

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - President Donald Trump replaced his beleaguered White House chief of staff, Reince Priebus, after only six months on the job on Friday, installing retired General John Kelly in his place in a major shake-up of his top team.

Trump announced the move in a tweet a day after his new communications director, Anthony Scaramucci, accused Priebus of leaking information to reporters in a profanity-laced tirade.

Kelly, 67, a retired four-star Marine Corps general, was most recently secretary for the Department of Homeland Security. He was hired with the goal of bringing more discipline to the White House, a senior White House official said.

Trump issued his decision just as he landed aboard Air Force One after a visit to Long Island and hours after Republican efforts to repeal Obamacare failed in the Senate.

Priebus was on the plane with the Republican president and made no comment. Reporters had noticed no sign of stress from Priebus during the day.Priebus told CNN he had been talking to Trump for some time about exiting the White House.

"The president has a right to hit a reset button. I think it's time to hit the reset button," Priebus said in a televised interview from the White House. "He intuitively determined that it was time to do something different, and I think he's right."

Trump had lost confidence in Priebus, privately questioning his competence after major legislative items failed to pass the U.S. Congress, a Trump confidant said.

A source close to Priebus said the former Republican National Committee chairman turned in his resignation on Thursday night, after Scaramucci's rant against him was published by the New Yorker magazine.

A senior White House official said Trump had informed Priebus two weeks ago that he would be replacing him and that the move had no connection to Scaramucci, whose hiring a week ago prompted Sean Spicer, a Priebus ally, to abruptly resign as press secretary.

After frequent conversations with Kelly, Trump recently warmed up to the idea of naming Kelly chief of staff to more effectively manage personnel and offered it to him earlier this week, a senior White House official said.

Kelly starts on Monday.

Carrying an umbrella, Trump approached reporters as he stepped off Air Force One, with rain storming down.

"Reince is a good man. John Kelly will do a fantastic job. General Kelly has been a star, done an incredible job thus far, respected by everybody. He's a great, great American. Reince is a good man," Trump said.

Priebus' 189-day tenure was the shortest in modern history for a White House chief of staff. He had hoped to stay on at least a year but struggled to manage his unpredictable boss and was unable to get a handle on conflicting factions in the White House who have frequently squabbled.

In a statement, Priebus said it had been one of the great honors of his life to serve Trump and the country.

"I will continue to serve as a strong supporter of the president's agenda and policies. I can't think of a better person than General John Kelly to succeed me and I wish him God's blessings and great success," he said.

Trump loyalists had chafed at Priebus, feeling he had installed his RNC allies at the White House and overlooked the people close to Trump who helped get him elected president in November.

But Priebus allies felt he was an important link to establishment Republicans in Washington as the capital attempted to adjust to the anti-establishment style of the president.

"He has served the president and the American people capably and passionately," House of Representatives Speaker Paul Ryan said of his close friend in a statement. "He has achieved so much, and he has done it all with class. I could not be more proud to call Reince a dear friend."

White House spokeswoman Sarah Sanders said she did not think Priebus' exit would affect the White House's relationship with the Republican Party.

"I think we've still got a good relationship. We're going to continue working with the party and doing what we came here to do," she said.

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2017-07-29

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With Priebus gone, the connection to the base of the party leadership is gone.

It is Trump vs everybody else now. No legislation will get done, back to EO only again.

Edited by stevenl

If Trump can't get any legislation pushed through when his Chief of Staff is the ex Chairman of the Republican National Committee, it will be interesting to see how he will do so with someone with no political background. I suspect Mr. Preibus will be quite relieved to be out of the absolute mess that the White House has become. No one likes working for an idiot.

16 minutes ago, darksidedog said:

If Trump can't get any legislation pushed through when his Chief of Staff is the ex Chairman of the Republican National Committee, it will be interesting to see how he will do so with someone with no political background. I suspect Mr. Preibus will be quite relieved to be out of the absolute mess that the White House has become. No one likes working for an idiot.

A crazy idiot.

"What do we do if Trump really is crazy?"

By Dana Milbank

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/what-do-we-do-if-trump-really-is-insane/2017/07/28/f2100d3c-73bb-11e7-8839-ec48ec4cae25_story.html

Edited by Jingthing

As the clown demagogue has already rapidly dragged the USA down to Banana Republic level, trump's association with some segments of "his generals" might become a greater concern. Let's face it. He's surrounded now by threats to his regime that are real. He's definitely dirty on Russian money, don't kid yourself, even if not direct collusion. He knows he's guilty evidenced by his interest in pardoning law. 

What I'm getting at, and I know it will sound paranoid to some, is that when his "enemies" (the American people wanting to preserve a normal democracy and rule of law) get really close to toppling him, what does this narcissistic immoral madman do?

Resign voluntarily or ally with a segment of the military to stay in power? 

Americans think they're above these kinds of risks. But alas, they really are not. 

Edited by Jingthing

27 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

What I'm getting at, and I know it will sound paranoid to some, is that when his "enemies" (the American people wanting to preserve a normal democracy and rule of law) get really close to toppling him, what does this narcissistic immoral madman do?

You need to look at his bankruptcies and his numerous lawsuits (against him). He will try to cut a deal using the threat of "If you continue with this, I know I will lose, I don't care, I am a billionaire, but you will lose to." Look at the bankruptcies. Negotiating tough till the last minute.

And I should add, placing personal pressure on the key people pulling the strings on the other side of the table. In this case, they are likely to be Republican senators.

2 everpresent Trump tactics.

Edited by Briggsy

"Reince is a good man. He is a fantastic and terrific guy. He is amazing. I just fired him. He is a good man."

"John is a good man. He is even more fantastic and terrific than Reince. He is amazing. I just hired him. He is a good man."

God help America, nobody else will.

6 Months in and National Security director fired, Press Secretary fired, Chief of Staff fired, FBI director fired, Secretary of State hiding in his bedroom at home, and Attorney General neutered. I'd say a rousing success at this point !

Is this like the seventh or tenth high level person that's been fired/resigned/edged out/quit in disgust/quietly sidelined? Sessions or Tillerson next?

For somebody who claims he hires "the best people" he certainly goes through them in a hurry.

T

Trump made the biggest mistake of his short political career, by appointing Priebus as chief of staff. He might have been able to supervise a softball game, or even lead a local chapter of the boy scouts. But, the White House? Seeing as there was no White House experience whatsoever, in his appointments, he needed a strong man, such as Clinton had with Panetta, to slap people around, and keep then in line. Tiny Priebus was the wrong man. Way, way too soft, and delicate. And since nobody liked him, much less respected him, why listen to him. I am not a fan of Trump. On any level. But, at least they might be able to reign in a little bit of the daily chaos with a strong man in charge. Maybe. They still have an adolescent lunatic at the top. 

From what I hear, the GOP more or less forced trump to make him chief. What a colossal mistake, on everyone's part. Talk about the wrong man for the wrong job. Put that chump out to pasture. 

Edited by spidermike007

Trump once summoned Reince Priebus to his office and ordered him to kill a fly

“At one point, during a meeting in the Oval Office, a fly began buzzing overhead, distracting the president,” reports The Post. “As the fly continued to circle, Trump summoned his chief of staff and tasked him with killing the insect, according to someone familiar with the incident.”

The demeaning treatment played a role in Priebus leaving.

http://www.rawstory.com/2017/07/revealed-trump-once-summoned-reince-priebus-to-his-office-and-ordered-him-to-kill-a-fly/

And then there's this:

11 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

Trump made the biggest mistake of his short political career, by appointing Priebus as chief of staff. He might have been able to supervise a softball game, or even lead a local chapter of the boy scouts. But, the White House? Seeing as there was no White House experience whatsoever, in his appointments, he needed a strong man, such as Clinton had with Panetta, to slap people around, and keep then in line. Tiny Priebus was the wrong man. Way, way too soft, and delicate. And since nobody liked him, much less respected him, why listen to him. I am not a fan of Trump. On any level. But, at least they might be able to reign in a little bit of the daily chaos with a strong man in charge. Maybe. They still have an adolescent lunatic at the top. 

From what I hear, the GOP more or less forced trump to make him chief. What a colossal mistake, on everyone's part. Talk about the wrong man for the wrong job. Put that chump out to pasture. 

Trump's order of preferences as to who works for him:

A relative
A sycophant 
A fellow conspiracy nutcase 
A lilly-livered little floozie who'll do what they're told.

Preibus was #4
Bannon is an outlier and a mystery as he doesn't fit any of the above. A couple of top guys were foisted on him by the Republican establishment, or he chose because those positions needed senate approval. Many of those have been sidelined in decision making.

T

oh. apparently Trump has picked another.... real Army general.

there's not very many real Army generals.... 
even during World War 2 most of them were fake....

except for George Patton.

Edited by maewang99

22 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

Everyone with access to the Oval Office is 'the wrong person for the job'.

There's not one remotely smart person there, and not one who could do any good for the USA, even if he/she wanted to.

The primary requirement for getting a job in the vicinity of Trump Sr is to unquestionably laud him, often.  All else is secondary.

Here is a partial list of Oval Office insiders who are lining up to walk the plank within days/weeks;   Kushner, Conway, The Eastern European guy (I can't recall his name), lawyer Cohen, disgraced mouthpiece Miller, Bannon, the new Chief of Staff, .....not necessarily in that order.

Trump is a 'Jobs President' alright, ......creating jobs in the Oval Office, though just as many jobs are being nixed.

2 minutes ago, maewang99 said:

excellent. now he and his...apparently.... real Army general...
there's not very many real Army generals.... 
during World War 2 most of them were fake.... except for George Patton if ya didn't know....
can 'win big again'... with the Debt Limit problem...

which is the law of the land until revoked or amended by Congress....
and is about to hit the S Fan in just a few *****weeks*****.

...except that Kelly is not officially a general any more.  He retired.  More accurately, he's 'Mr. secretary', as that was his most recent job.

It doesn't matter.  If Kelly has a modicum of self-respect, he'll be out of the Oval Office quicker than you can zip up your pants after taking a pee.

Scaramucci is the scary mucus of the moment.  

Fired or resigned:

WH comms director

WH press sec 

Ntl Security Advisor

Deputy Ntl Security Advisor

Another deputy Ntl Security Advisor

Office of gov ethics director 

Acting attorney general

Deputy WH chief of staff

Vice president's chief of staff

FBI director

Chief of staff

That's almost one every fortnight. So far.

T

The screenplay writers on House of cards have been shown up to be weak with little imagination. Never did they come up with fantasy story lines as good as this. If it were not for the fact that what Coco the clown is doing is hurting the world and potentially my children's future, I would love this show to continue. TV stations and good old fashioned paper media have never had it so good.

The behind closed doors interview between Trump and Preibus probably went along the lines of "Trump:   You are out and if you say one word against me, just one, my lawyers will bury you and strip you of any asset you have including your Grandmothers zimmer frame - remember the NDA I made you sign - don't forget".

Edited by Andaman Al

13 minutes ago, Thakkar said:

Trump may be moving to create an administration untethered from the Republican Party. 

http://www.politicususa.com/2017/07/28/trump-full-blown-crazy-plans-declare-war-gop-congress-priebus-firing.html

"The Republican majority in Congress is the only thing that is standing between Trump and impeachment."

"If Trump goes after Ryan and McConnell, there is nothing stopping them from going full blast on the Russia investigation."

"The Republicans in Congress also control the fate of Trump’s entire agenda."

Lovin' it. :thumbsup:

4 minutes ago, simple1 said:

Another example of Trump's weird ideas as THE leader of the US - encouraging police to assault prisoners.

http://www.politicususa.com/2017/07/28/suffolk-county-police-organization-days-disavow-insane-trump-statements.html

"The police department in the New York county where President Donald Trump appeared to advocate rougher treatment of suspects is condemning the practice."

"The Suffolk County Police Department says it has strict rules and procedures for how prisoners should be handled, it says violations of those rules and procedures are treated "extremely seriously."

"The police department added: "We do not and will not tolerate roughing up of prisoners."

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/wireStory/latest-trump-arrives-ny-talk-immigration-crime-48912064