SURVEY: Manmade Global Climate Change -- Fact or Fiction?

Scott

SURVEY: Manmade Global Climate Change -- Fact or Fiction?  

83 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, attrayant said:

Perhaps the next poll should be about whether the Earth revolves around the sun or vice-versa?  How about one on gravity, we all know that's just a theory right?  How about this for a poll: Which is larger, five or thirteen?  Do hats exist, yes or no?  (Thanks to John Oliver for those last two)

My next one would be "is the earth older than 6,000 years". The answer to that would give us a good gauge of Americans on here. I'm waiting for an influx of them to shift this poll to the "unproven" column. 

42 minutes ago, Ulic said:

Those who do not believe in man made global warming must also believe

that pollution of the worlds oceans with plastic is also a hoax. After all they

are simply too big and can certainly take everything we dump in it. Just look

at the air pollution in Beijing, India, Indonesia, if you think we cant affect the

atmosphere.  

Totally unrelated.

We need to reduce pollution, and look after our environment and natural resources, don't think you will find many who disagree with that.

Man having any significant effect on climate, fantasy.

4 minutes ago, canuckamuck said:

Is that this weeks mantra? Rate of change? Is that the memo from Big Green head quarters?

The rate of change has been much greater at different times and it was not human caused. So until you can show a relationship that eliminates natural variables as the cause, you are just projecting your favorite hypothesis.

65 million years ago, an asteroid crashed into the earth. That was the last time that climate changed happened faster than the it is doing currently.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/todays-climate-change-proves-much-faster-than-changes-in-past-65-million-years/

10 minutes ago, pegman said:

So in other words you are clueless about what is happening but are not prepared to trust the scientific  community, "because". Your user name reflects a Canadian but you sound like a Yank so I will put you down as from Alberta.

I have no problem with scientists studying things which are falsifiable.

The best way you could have determined I come from Alberta would be noticing that I am not a brain washed Liberal.

But full marks for recognizing my pedigree.

3 recent books on Climate.

1. Two Mile Time Machine, Richard Alley  [ice cores.. co2].... check

2. The Planet Remade, Oliver Morton [chemical veiling, Indian monsoons, SEA Rainey Season].. ditto

3. Command and Control, Eric Schlosser [nuclear bombs........ SAY WHAT?????? 

yeah, during the decades of so following Sputnik our government never stopped telling us lies. it was much more dangerous than they told us. some stuff had odds of 1 to 7 of a H bomb mistake on US soil.. in any one year.

well.... Climate ain't no different. the biggest liar ain't Donald Trump nor Ted Cruz.

it's Al Gore. by always making it sound not as bad as it really is.

Edited by maewang99

2 minutes ago, PattayaJames said:

Totally unrelated.

We need to reduce pollution, and look after our environment and natural resources, don't think you will find many who disagree with that.

Man having any significant effect on climate, fantasy.

20,000 years ago there was a huge climate change.

Most certainly not man made?

That said, man should take care of the environment  but if that care is translated into taxation, no way I can become a believer.

15 minutes ago, canuckamuck said:

Is that this weeks mantra? Rate of change? Is that the memo from Big Green head quarters?

The rate of change has been much greater at different times and it was not human caused. So until you can show a relationship that eliminates natural variables as the cause, you are just projecting your favorite hypothesis.

Here, according to NASA, are 18 scientific organizations that state:

Statement on climate change from 18 scientific associations
"Observations throughout the world make it clear that climate change is occurring, and rigorous scientific research demonstrates that the greenhouse gases emitted by human activities are the primary driver." (2009)

I put put forward these against your Sean Hannity, Rush Loudmouth,  Donald Trump, Lorne Gunter or Conrad (felone) Black.

there are no analogies for what happens if we find we were too optimistic.

it'll be like turning around a big aircraft carrier.....

nope.

the oceans are really big. the latency period between Co2 emissions... and it's full on climate effect.... is 40 years. so even if we...............

Kevin Anderson U. Manchester is the man.
and Bill Gates. plain speaking. no b.s.    

Gates at Cal Tech about a  year ago... 1/2 way thru the Q&A.

and anything Anderson has done.

tell me those guys are nutters. go ahead.

Edited by maewang99

13 minutes ago, canuckamuck said:

The best way you could have determined I come from Alberta would be noticing that I am not a brain washed Liberal.

Well, i just falsified your assertion about temperature change. At least for the past 65 million years.  So I guess you're conceding the point.

8 minutes ago, maewang99 said:

3 recent books on Climate.

1. Two Mile Time Machine, Richard Alley  [ice cores.. co2].... check

2. The Planet Remade, Oliver Morton [chemical veiling, Indian monsoons, SEA Rainey Season].. ditto

3. Command and Control, Eric Schlosser [nuclear bombs........ SAY WHAT?????? 

yeah, during the decades of so following Sputnik our government never stopped telling us lies. it was much more dangerous than they told us. some stuff had odds of 1 to 7 of a H bomb mistake on US soil.. in any one year.

well.... Climate ain't no different. the biggest liar ain't Donald Trump nor Ted Cruz.

it's Al Gore. by always making it sound not as bad as it really is.

The thing about American politics is they are ALL on the take. Kinda reminds one of Thai cops. But 97% of scientists are very, very unlikely to have this wrong. 

Is it just me that trusts the scientists at NASA?

Please make the effort and read the article.

"The paleoclimate record combined with global models shows past ice ages as well as periods even warmer than today. But the paleoclimate record also reveals that the current climatic warming is occurring much more rapidly than past warming events."

https://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/Features/GlobalWarming/page3.php

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

12 minutes ago, ilostmypassword said:

Well, i just falsified your assertion about temperature change. At least for the past 65 million years.  So I guess you're conceding the point.

What, this assertion? "The rate of change has been much greater at different times and it was not human caused".

I disagree.

22 minutes ago, canuckamuck said:

Yes, Liberals are a dead breed in Alberta. It's social democrats, NDP, running the affairs of the province now. Here is hoping for another 3 or 4 terms!

1 hour ago, Scott said:

I don't think it is a rejection of science, although some of the very fundamental religious folks, do reject science because it contradicts the Bible.   The big problem is that it became politicized.   Al Gore, a Democrat, was a driving force -- at least in the political arena.  Now, the issue is polarized between many of the Democrats and the Republicans.  

Yes but he was financially involved in the making of money from it so he discredits himself.  However, getting rid of coal and oil helps clean up the air and starves the support to religious terrorists. Recycling makes just plain common sense at every level.  Using garbage in production of energy is sensible too as longs as the pollutants are captured.  I agree with most of the things the greenies want but not necessarily for their reasons.  It is difficult to believe science because so much is funded research with an agenda.  Example pro tobacco of a couple of decades ago and the pro sugar stuff "artificial sweetness give you alzheimers even with just one drink" appearing all over the place recently because of the move to stevia and lactose sweetners by Coke & Pepsi is scaring the huge sugar industry.  It is sometimes necessary to decide which scientific proof is true and which is hype to support someone who wants to change your mind for financial reasons.

If a teenagers bedroom is an untidy mess of clothes and unwashed socks and underwear, it stinks. If the kid is made to tidy the place up and the clothes and socks are washed, all of it is tidy, vacuumed and cleaned up the stink goes. The same applies to the planet. you have to clean up the mess first. The land and sea especially are wrecked. At any time around the world it is raining like crazy. The land is covered in dams, concrete and tar. The trees have been cut down and the soil has gone. Just check on any news channel now and you will see flooding in China, S.E. Asia, Bangladesh and west Africa. With the floods comes the run off of man made crap. Eons ago the run off from rivers and floods was soil and vegetable matter. Now it is everything you can think of, including cars and trucks ! Everything is ending up in the sea.

These massive gyres of plastic in the oceans must have some effect on the sea temperature and evaporation rates. Cover a puddle in a plastic sheet and the water gets hot and it will take longer to disappear. The plastic in the seas is not new, it was evident in the early 90's. Maybe if we clean up that mess and stop it happening we won't need to go along with the nonsense of changing over to electric cars. This is another con.....they won't be cheap and they run on electricity from power stations that use fossil fuels. Currently there are only a handful of cars plugged in to the mains. Imagine the electrical demand when every one has a car plugged in to a socket in the wall. So will electric cars save the  planet ? They wont. They will end up in the sea with the old petrol ones when it is raining like crazy.

Forget Global Warming - think Global Garbage !

49 minutes ago, pegman said:

My next one would be "is the earth older than 6,000 years". The answer to that would give us a good gauge of Americans on here. I'm waiting for an influx of them to shift this poll to the "unproven" column. 

Meanwhile, Canada does it's part to stop global warming.  Bears are no longer allowed to shit in the woods.

15 minutes ago, The Deerhunter said:

Yes but he was financially involved in the making of money from it so he discredits himself.  However, getting rid of coal and oil helps clean up the air and starves the support to religious terrorists. Recycling makes just plain common sense at every level.  Using garbage in production of energy is sensible too as longs as the pollutants are captured.  I agree with most of the things the greenies want but not necessarily for their reasons.  It is difficult to believe science because so much is funded research with an agenda.  Example pro tobacco of a couple of decades ago and the pro sugar stuff "artificial sweetness give you alzheimers even with just one drink" appearing all over the place recently because of the move to stevia and lactose sweetners by Coke & Pepsi is scaring the huge sugar industry.  It is sometimes necessary to decide which scientific proof is true and which is hype to support someone who wants to change your mind for financial reasons.

Al Gore used to preach to us about using our cars while gadding about all over the place in his private jet. Big useless hypocrite.

Its a difficult/impossible question to answer with assurety, but its hard to believe that man-kinds toxic emissions have had zero impact on 'the climate'.

The weather seems to have been changing/becoming more extreme over the last few decades, plus polar caps melting etc.

So I'm inclined to agree with those arguing that climate change is happening (too) quickly - largely due to man-kinds toxic emissions.

Uneducated folks always state: Change always happened. 

It never happened that way as long as humans exist.

CO2 never before rallied as it is doing now...

Heat up two bottles with air, one with a higher concentration of CO2, one with less. Guess which one heats up faster?

The very stupid one say "Just see all the volcanoes..."? They never checked on the facts. The volcanoes are big, so there must be sth. to it, right? But they never checked facts. 

You find many such samples...

The following pic proves all the one wrong who are stating that it was always this way... It simply was not...

co2.jpg