To Those Who Know Luk Kreung...

Q_Q_Dude

What do you feel about the Luk Kreung role in Thai and/or Farang society?

As one myself, this topic is pretty interesting to me. My mother is from Chiang Rai and father from America and we live in the US. I'm currently a college student. My mother sometimes wants me to date Thai women, but I don't date/get involved with relationships based on race, instead choosing to get to know those who I love.

So anyway, what do you feel about the Luk Kreung status in Thai society, and to a very much smaller extent, in Farang society?

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can't speak for Farang society, but I have two young luk-krung daughters here in Thailand and they are treated extremely well. The only downside I can think of is that some of their friends and acquaintances may be envious because of the attention they get.

Edited by qualtrough

Falangs do not treat my son any differently than their own color, creed, etc etc...

Thais, on the other hand, marvel at his white skin, his eyes, hair, clothes, etc. This bothers me to some extent, as it demonstrates racial preference ( proven by the 1000s of whitening crap everywhere). Touched all the time.

However, balancing this off, he is well loved and attended to. The sense of "village taking care of their own" is appreciated by this falang.

Good luck with your studies!

its interesting because Hi-So and Thai people love them, but then at the sametime most of these kids come from isaan moms, who they look down on.

They love them to look at, but would they love them the same if they were dating their son/daughter.

My experience is NO

Why would you refer to yourself or your own children as 'half-child'? The term Eurasian seems much better, perhaps the connotation just sounds odd when traslated.

Sorry, off topic.

Never seen a problem with them by society. If you look at the role-models now, be they in advertising, film, music etc . . . mostly Eurasians or those that have spent a fortune trying to look like one. (Irresoective of the class - or perhaps even ore so by the so-called hi-sos)

Edited by Sing_Sling

Do you speak, read, write Thai?

We have two young Luk Kreung daughters-I have no problem with the appellation-that is what Thais call them-though there are plenty of ther luk khreung eg Thai Chinese.

They do not look very Thai-in fact my wife is often mistaken for being Japanese; but when with her-you know how Thai people like to do this-oh! she looks just like her mama and with me oh,lok, farang child.

But they are pefectly bilingual. The amusing bit comes when they speak English with their mother and Thai with me...then people get confused and amazed. Actually they speak another language too, but that is our secret.

We were determined they should be entirely bilingual and bi-cultural. It is a wonderful gift. Of course in England no-one gives a toss what or who they are..except in the small countryside world where we live there, they have famous grand-parents...some things you cannot avoid. Unless you feel strongly about it I am sure you should just hang out with whoever!

There is another side to the story that isn't always so often seen. I have a young friend who is mixed-race. His father left when he was very small. He comes from a large family. Although he is very nice looking, he is not particularly well-treated. There is a certain level of distrust. He never learned English very well, which doesn't help him since he is pretty much restricted to Thai society. Also his family (mother) is quite poor.

Fortunately, he is an independent young man, who has performed very well in school and my guess is he will go a long way. He makes the most of what he has and although he has fewer friends than some, they are true friends.

I'd like to know the basis of your question.

My son is Eurasian ( translate it to Luk Kreung if you like ) with a Thai mother and European father.

I met my wife in '82 brought her to UK in '82 and had our son in '82.

I lived in a nice area of England where I was aware there may be discrimination more against my wife than

anything.

I remember my sons' interview day at a private school where the headmaster was showing us around, and our

kid said straight out ' hey dad...he's wearing the same shoes as you ' :o

Twas then I realised I was never gonna have problems with him fitting in to society.

Contrast that to leuk kreungs in Vietnam and Korea, Thailand is a world apart (positive wise).

Actually the half Korean one tend to be very good looking

Come,come, Donz,...even you should realise that there is more than ONE of them.....

'luuk khreung' is a completely neutral word in the Thai context. No disrespect intended whatsoever.

Well, like any other word that is a label, it CAN be used with disrespect. Like when Willie and Kat Macintosh's mother said that she didn't approve of Jaily (a luk krung) of marrying her son because she was a luk krung. Hypocrisy please?

:o

'luuk khreung' is a completely neutral word in the Thai context. No disrespect intended whatsoever.

Well, like any other word that is a label, it CAN be used with disrespect. Like when Willie and Kat Macintosh's mother said that she didn't approve of Jaily (a luk krung) of marrying her son because she was a luk krung. Hypocrisy please?

Forgive me..... but I think the comment was directed at me, in the sense that MS thought I perhaps interpreted Lhuk Krueng as derogatory.

As I dont know who the Mckintoshes are, I don't know what hypocrisy you are on about.

Forgive me..... but I think the comment was directed at me, in the sense that MS thought I perhaps interpreted Lhuk Krueng as derogatory.

As I dont know who the Mckintoshes are, I don't know what hypocrisy you are on about.

No, it was a response to SM (that's why I quoted him), but yes, obviously a tangent from your post.

The Macintosh's are both luk krungs. Their own mother (... she has since given approval to the relationship) came out and publicly said that this gal (a luk krung) wasn't good enough for her son because she was a luk krung.

While not a derogatory term, it can be used with disrespect... just like any other label.

:D

For sure. I did not mean to say that people have no prejudices or ideas about luuk khreung as such - I just meant that the term is fully socially acceptable.

It isn't as if she was saying something equivalent to "mongrel" in English - i.e. a word which would never be used to describe a person officially... whereas the word 'luuk khreung' could be used as a neutral description by a television presenter or newspaper journalist in Thailand without the regular Thai viewer/reader thinking it was a problem.

On the other hand, the same presenter could not use 'khaek' (for Middle Eastern/Indian) or 'chek' (for Chinese) without some people taking offense - those are not as acceptable.

That was my point.

:D

For sure. I did not mean to say that people have no prejudices or ideas about luuk khreung as such - I just meant that the term is fully socially acceptable.

It isn't as if she was saying something equivalent to "mongrel" in English - i.e. a word which would never be used to describe a person officially... whereas the word 'luuk khreung' could be used as a neutral description by a television presenter or newspaper journalist in Thailand without the regular Thai viewer/reader thinking it was a problem.

On the other hand, the same presenter could not use 'khaek' (for Middle Eastern/Indian) or 'chek' (for Chinese) without some people taking offense - those are not as acceptable.

That was my point.

Luk Krungs in Thai society is acutual look down at, especially if they are 1/2 black. Thais like Luk Krungs in entertainment industry but beyond that, they are considred low class and they are talked badly behind their backs. If you don't believe me, go and look at that movie called "13" that came out 3 months ago.

To Thais, Luk Krungs are children of "whores" and "whoremongers" and this is due to many Luk Krungs are children of Issan bargirls/freelancers and their foreign customers and/or husbands.

Since Thais are very polite, they will give everyone the benefit of doubt that Luk Krungs come from "good" families until proven otherwise. This is also true for other Asian countries as well.

Edited by Gary74

Luk Krungs in Thai society is acutual look down at, especially if they are 1/2 black. Thais like Luk Krungs in entertainment industry but beyond that, they are considred low class and they are talked badly behind their backs. If you don't believe me, go and look at that movie called "13" that came out 3 months ago.

To Thais, Luk Krungs are children of "whores" and "whoremongers" and this is due to many Luk Krungs are children of Issan bargirls/freelancers and their foreign customers and/or husbands.

Since Thais are very polite, they will give everyone the benefit of doubt that Luk Krungs come from "good" families until proven otherwise. This is also true for other Asian countries as well.

It's early days yet, my son is only just one year old (mother Isaan)

I had a conversation with a Thai Naval Capt regarding my son getting into the Navy Accademy. He politely explained to me that it would be unlikely at the moment, but things might change in the future.

A senior Air force officer invited my son to the local base to have his picture taken in an F16.

He seems to be the centre of attention when we visit our local mall.

He is still just a baby and a cute one at that. I will have to see what the future brings for him. It's my job just to keep him on the path and in the right direction.

When im in Korea (as im half Korean) the ladies go balistic.

People cant believe how good looking I am and think im an actor.

In Thailand ladies throw themselves at me and think im keanu Reaves.

In Australia I get heaps of blondes saying I look exotic (in other works, I want you bad).

So being a Luk Kreung is definately better then being anything else.

i know of one kid in england who goes to school with a family member of mine,who is given a VERY hard time by the other kids because his mother is thai. the school is quite multicultural but he is singled out because he is seen as a child of a whore.(im sure some of the other kids are bullied for other reasons) the reputation of thai women is even known by these young kids it seems. i feel really sorry for this kid ,imagine what he goes through!! kids can be very cruel.

i know of one kid in england who goes to school with a family member of mine,who is given a VERY hard time by the other kids because his mother is thai. the school is quite multicultural but he is singled out because he is seen as a child of a whore.(im sure some of the other kids are bullied for other reasons) the reputation of thai women is even known by these young kids it seems. i feel really sorry for this kid ,imagine what he goes through!! kids can be very cruel.

Kids can be cruel, but thats kids for you.

I remember in 3rd grade we all used to think this really really ugly girl had aids and every time she came in to give our teacher a message from another teacher everyone lifted there feet off the floor because we didnt want to catch aids.

There is many stories i remember as a kid but I wont go into them.