Car tax.

Need a car tax Guru in Thailand to answer this one.

Went to the local test and tax place today with the old trusty pick up. Passed the stringent test and all ok ??.

Now the main question.

My other car that's been mine, my name in the blue book for nearly 18 years has been getting totally rebuilt for the past 3 years and is a midges widge from being finished.

I asked about getting it checked and paying the 3 years tax, I don't mind paying.

I was told the following that I don't believe, but here goes.

1. Must have WP.

2. Must have cert of residence.

3. Must supply passport.

It's my car, in my name for 18 years. Why are they asking for all this paper work ???

My thoughts

1. They think I just bought the car even although it's got my name in the book from 1999.

2. They don't know what they are doing.

HELP !!!!

Edited by overherebc
Spelling. Big thumb, small keyboard.

Drive through the 'express lane' and hand the book over. Don't say that you have been rebuilding etc. They will either do it for you or not.

You can tax a car at any LTO so maybe try a different one ... preferably one with a drive through express lane ...  

1 hour ago, JAS21 said:

Drive through the 'express lane' and hand the book over. Don't say that you have been rebuilding etc. They will either do it for you or not.

You can tax a car at any LTO so maybe try a different one ... preferably one with a drive through express lane ...  

They only work for cars that are less than 5 or 6 years old.

I do that with the Ford as its only 2 years old and as you say it takes a couple of minutes.

The car I'm talking about is 42 years old so needs checks on brakes lights etc not an express lane option.

The thing I don't get is why they told me WP,  Resident Cert and Visa. If I had just bought the car I could go with that but it's mine with my name in the Blue Book since 1999.

Try an agent ... You are in BK/Nonthaburi area?

Miss Google (otherwise known as MrsJ) tells me that you need to take it to an authorised garage and get it checked ... then take the paperwork to LTO and that is it.  Now ... near the Pakkret LTO is a garage who will check your car ... they will also take the paperwork to the LTO for you and do the deed.

Definitely try another LTO ... just get it tested and then get the paperwork taken to a LTO.

Hope this helps .... I can point you in the direction of the garage in Pakkret if you wish. 

38 minutes ago, JAS21 said:

Try an agent ... You are in BK/Nonthaburi area?

Miss Google (otherwise known as MrsJ) tells me that you need to take it to an authorised garage and get it checked ... then take the paperwork to LTO and that is it.  Now ... near the Pakkret LTO is a garage who will check your car ... they will also take the paperwork to the LTO for you and do the deed.

Definitely try another LTO ... just get it tested and then get the paperwork taken to a LTO.

Hope this helps .... I can point you in the direction of the garage in Pakkret if you wish. 

Appreciate your answers but I still can't understand why they told me I need a WP and res' cert' etc.

It's already mine with my name in the book. I showed all that when I bought it ( in my name) and had no problems before getting it checked and paying the tax before I decided to rebuild it??????

26 minutes ago, overherebc said:

Appreciate your answers but I still can't understand why they told me I need a WP and res' cert' etc.

It's already mine with my name in the book. I showed all that when I bought it ( in my name) and had no problems before getting it checked and paying the tax before I decided to rebuild it??????

Because something got lost in translation? They didn't see your 'other car' or its blue book?

On ‎04‎/‎08‎/‎2017 at 2:19 AM, inThailand said:

Paying road tax and the requirement to get the car tested is child's play. It amazing me the laziness and incompetence of some people.

Arrogance and condescension get my goat...................:coffee1:

On ‎3‎/‎08‎/‎2017 at 10:11 PM, JAS21 said:

I thought the car road tax must be paid where the car was first registered at, if this is to be true will save me driving to Bung Khun Thien every year. I tried taxing a car at Jutujak LTO, and they said I couldn't, showed in the back of book where it was first registered, had to do it at Suan Pak LTO.  Any Clarification on this would be great?

38 minutes ago, burgerking said:

I thought the car road tax must be paid where the car was first registered at, if this is to be true will save me driving to Bung Khun Thien every year. I tried taxing a car at Jutujak LTO, and they said I couldn't, showed in the back of book where it was first registered, had to do it at Suan Pak LTO.  Any Clarification on this would be great?

I have no idea where my car was registered originally and I have used 3 different Land transportation offices over the years, so must be true.

According to Mrs J you can do it at any LTO ... in the past it was the case that where the car was registered is wheremyou had tax it but that changed a few years ago.

Try a different LTO ...

The last time I took my old 2004 Nissan Frontier to the local inspection station, they did require an up to date drivers license but other than that, no complications. It was in tip top shape and passed every test. It was a thorough check.

10 hours ago, Gary A said:

The last time I took my old 2004 Nissan Frontier to the local inspection station, they did require an up to date drivers license but other than that, no complications. It was in tip top shape and passed every test. It was a thorough check.

What, your drivers license.........laugh.gif.383c86c70479853964543b6cf2a18092.gif

31 minutes ago, transam said:

What, your drivers license.........laugh.gif.383c86c70479853964543b6cf2a18092.gif

In all the years I have been here other than coppers, I have never been asked to see my drivers license. Even motorcycle and insurance companies have never asked to see it. I have also transferred insurance to my name, they never asked for a DL.

Even cops have never asked to see my passport.

• 3 weeks later...

Latest news on this is that I was informed yesterday because the tax hasn't been paid while the car was off the road for 3 years the registration is now void and I have to show a cert of res' etc at the main centre where the car check will be done and it will get new number plates etc?????

1. Because they're really professional and intelligent.

2. Because they're really unprofessional and stupid.

Tough choice...

Sent from my Cray II supercomputer