How does it stay so hot at night?

Hal65

10pm and its 86 degrees F here in Pattaya. I don't get how this is possible. When I was in BKK someone told me the immenisty of the city traps the heat, but Pattaya is not that large.

How does it stay so hot at night, then, well after the sun has gone down? The high during the daytime was 88 and looks to be 87 tomorrow so its like the sun isn't even much of a factor in the temperature.

25 minutes ago, johng said:

The massive amount of concrete used in all the buildings and roads soaks up heat during the day and releases it at night..the buildings also restrict airflow.

15 minutes ago, ross163103 said:

Humidity, the higher it is the less the air cools off at night. Deserts being just the opposite; no humidity so the temperature differential is a lot more.

These two posts answer the OP's question.

1 hour ago, johng said:

The massive amount of concrete used in all the buildings and roads soaks up heat during the day and releases it at night..the buildings also restrict airflow.

Huh?  So it only stays hot in areas of "civilization"? Mmmm...........:whistling:

I will run with the plausible explanation of being in or near the tropics, although the massive amount of concrete will possibly contribute a few more degrees.

Bangkok is notoriously steamy at night-sometimes worse than the day. it's a swamp with all of the heat from concrete and water coming out in the evening.  Pattaya in the summer can get pretty sticky too, with the Southwest wind blowing up warm, wet air.  Last night in P was especially muggy, like a Bangkok night.

The death valley in the states gets Damm hot in the day and cool to cold at night. The sea and concrete let's it stay toasty here. One good thing I don't need a water heater for a shower as the silver metal tank outside makes for a nice warm shower when it is hot.

14 hours ago, KittenKong said:

Lots of warm water nearby and the wind is coming up from the south.

For cooler temperatures look for somewhere near an ocean rather than on a gulf.

Suggesting he move from Thailand?  Thailand has no oceans, the Andaman sea or the Mallaca Straights perhaps you mean.

I would suggest staying inside and turning on the a/c if the heat bothers you or constant showers, swimming staying wet.

4 hours ago, johng said:

4 hours ago, ross163103 said:

Humidity, the higher it is the less the air cools off at night. Deserts being just the opposite; no humidity so the temperature differential is a lot more.

4 hours ago, TooPoopedToPop said:

These two posts answer the OP's question.

Getting up early in the morning (very rare to be later than 6 a.m.), I'm always suprised at how 'cold' it is outside compared to in the house.

The only (?) explanation is that the concrete house has absorbed the heat (like a storage heater) - keeping the inside temps. higher than those outside.

That's easy, most Thai house and building are constructed with paper thin bricks and no eaves to stop the heat on the glass. Same problem with a rental we had. The sun heats up the bricks and the hole house at night becomes an oven. Do a check in the afternoon and you will see how hot the glass and walls become. Put some blinds on the outside of the windows, if you own your house get some medium trees planted to give you shade from the arvo sun. If you have modern windows you can have fly screens made, then leave you windows open at night.

Food for thought.

3 hours ago, smotherb said:

Suggesting he move from Thailand?  Thailand has no oceans, the Andaman sea or the Mallaca Straights perhaps you mean.

No, I meant near an ocean as I wrote. If you look at a map you will see that parts of Thailand are on the Indian Ocean. Pattaya, however, is not.

Indian_Ocean-CIA_WFB_Map.png

The Indian Ocean is a fairly warm body of water though not quite as warm as the gulf of Thailand, as far as I know.

It's all to do with the mosquito's flapping their wings.....the more they bite and consume blood, the heavier they get, generating even more heat through additional wings flapping......then there is the Mosquito effect, a variant of the Butterfly Effect, but better to save that for another thread.

On ‎05‎/‎08‎/‎2017 at 10:20 AM, lvr181 said:

Huh?  So it only stays hot in areas of "civilization"? Mmmm...........:whistling:

I will run with the plausible explanation of being in or near the tropics, although the massive amount of concrete will possibly contribute a few more degrees.

Yep.  The concrete and areas of no shade, such as roads, dirt plots, etc take up a lot of heat during the day and then slowly release it during the night.

I notice temperature differences when cycling at night..... areas that are under trees or that have no buildings close buy are much cooler.... and then when I pass by some houses or built up areas it is a few degrees hotter.

I planted up my garden with lots of shade giving trees and palms.  Its much cooler at night than my friends garden which is mostly lawn and patio.  

23 hours ago, dick dasterdly said:

Getting up early in the morning (very rare to be later than 6 a.m.), I'm always suprised at how 'cold' it is outside compared to in the house.

The only (?) explanation is that the concrete house has absorbed the heat (like a storage heater) - keeping the inside temps. higher than those outside.

22 hours ago, DUNROAMIN said:

That's easy, most Thai house and building are constructed with paper thin bricks and no eaves to stop the heat on the glass. Same problem with a rental we had. The sun heats up the bricks and the hole house at night becomes an oven. Do a check in the afternoon and you will see how hot the glass and walls become. Put some blinds on the outside of the windows, if you own your house get some medium trees planted to give you shade from the arvo sun. If you have modern windows you can have fly screens made, then leave you windows open at night.

Food for thought.

There are eaves all around my rented house and its surrounded by large trees, to the extent that there are very few areas where plants/shrubs (that require close to full sun to flower), can be planted - and the internal area of the house  is pretty much in full shade, apart from small areas for a short amount of time.

There are mossie screens on nearly every door/window.

All windows with mossie screens are left open day and night, although I do close downstairs external doors at night as my dogs are even less likely to wake up if someone breaks in than myself :laugh:!  All upstairs doors/windows are open day and night, as they all have mossie screens.

Hence my conclusion that the concrete house absorbs heat and acts as a storage heater - although I'd add that the placing of windows is badly designed i.e. only small windows in areas that would appreciate large windows to 'catch' the wind, and large areas of window in areas that don't 'catch the wind'!