Retirement extension expiring, options on getting short term extension ?

11 minutes ago, PhuketSarah said:

Thank stars, when I looked into how much a  notary charges, and realized  every page  might need to be notarized. It's like a thousand US $ 

So why  use  a term certified that is erroneous and not even necessary? 

That term is very confusing in this context - threw me off, as I have encountered a real "certification of passport" requirement (not for an annual extension, though).  Even when an actual "certification of passport" is required, it is not every page - just the main page - so embassy-charge plus MFA-charge for the main page.  For a US Citizen it totals about $65 in all (plus trip to Bangkok or Chang Mai).  I would have read that list as requiring this - but their translations are often inaccurate.

Embassy + MFA Certifications are becoming a more common request at some immigration offices and some amphoes for various services.  Currently, a few offices require it for the income-letter for an annual-extension (not reported at Phuket).  Hopefully, doing this for one's passport is never required for annual-extensions - though it would not surprise me, the way things are going, generally.

Edited by JackThompson

5 minutes ago, JackThompson said:

That term is very confusing in this context - threw me off, as I have encountered a real "certification of passport" requirement (not for an annual extension, though).  Even when an actual "certification of passport" is required, it is not every page - just the main page - so embassy-charge plus MFA-charge for the main page.  For a US Citizen it totals about $65 in all (plus trip to Bangkok or Chang Mai).

Embassy + MFA Certifications are becoming a more common request at some immigration offices and some amphoes for various services.  Currently, a few offices require it for the income-letter for an annual-extension (not reported at Phuket).  Hopefully, doing this for one's passport is never required for annual-extensions - though it would not surprise me, the way things are going, generally.

OMG  MFA?  So I'd have to travel to Bangkok to get my passport certified?  MAYBE

Last time I went to that place, it was 1000 baht to get an employee to fill out a form in " Special Thai language.." when I had already brought a  Thai friend to do it.

I cannot see how people  defend this  sort of BS'ery as reasonable- 

Ok. So where were we? What thread am I on,  Where am I  (OMG  WHYYYYYY did I move here... It's so stressful. )

Ok   so I can do a tourist visa it seems barring any kind of bureaucratic F- wittery  over that... either at the consulate or the border and that gets me to end of Jan, which is fine, end of lease, and and of Land O Stress 

Thanks for the responses   ( and the support,  most of you..) 

20 minutes ago, PhuketSarah said:

Please note all important Or missing  from the end of requirement # 3 

Immig Req 1 a.jpg

At least the 'or' after point 4 is not missing, so that should clarify some of your questions.

Again, you're making life unnecessarily hard on yourself.

Edited by stevenl

1 hour ago, PhuketSarah said:

BUT  that's not what the Phuket Immigration requirement list  reads I am foreseeing huge hassle and denial of extension  which is why I have started this thread 

Extension of Retirement Visa 

Eligibilities  of Applicants  

3) The applicant must have a deposit of 800,000 in a Thai bank account (savings or current account only; an investment account is not acceptable) for the last 3 months (or for the last 60 days for the first year of application) 

4) The applicant must have a proof [sic] of monthly income of at least 65,000 baht; or

5) The applicant must have a total of 800,000 baht combination of personal bank deposit and monthly income

OK  so as I understand it,  # 3 is a requirement -  800,000 in the bank  When I asked about this,  I was told  " Or  proof of 65,000 monthly income."

So which is it? 3 or 5 or 3 and 5 ?   I did not dare  ask for  clarification on any further  questions as it was obviously annoying the officer trying to watch TV.

Sarah i assume  dont speak english and ur a bit slow

look up the meaning for OR

If u dont qualify (ie no 800,000, OR not 65,000/month income OR combination of the 2- money in bank and income)
than just go to Laos or Phnom Penh and get a 60day tourist visa

42 minutes ago, PhuketSarah said:

OMG  MFA?  So I'd have to travel to Bangkok to get my passport certified?  MAYBE

42 minutes ago, PhuketSarah said:

That term is very confusing in this context - threw me off, as I have encountered a real "certification of passport" requirement (not for an annual extension, though).

I only explained what that process is, so you would not think it was $1000 in translation of an entire passport, which you mentioned.  Others familiar with the process at Phuket have said this Is Not a requirement there, currently.

If you already have what is required, go and try it. What is there to lose?  If they add something else, then go to Vientiane for your Tourist Visa.

1 minute ago, JackThompson said:

I only explained what that process is, so you would not think it was $1000 in translation of an entire passport, which you mentioned.  Others familiar with the process at Phuket have said this Is Not a requirement there, currently.

If you already have what is required, go and try it. What is there to lose?  If they add something else, then go to Vientiane for your Tourist Visa.

I appreciate your response but I have more questions  than just what does certify mean  Regardless  do not think it will be granted, and I'll have spent the 2000 + on nothing.  Not sure yet what I will do. 

I think there's a real bias toward foreigners, especially ones not supporting any Thais.

39 minutes ago, phuketrichard said:

Sarah i assume  dont speak english and ur a bit slow

look up the meaning for OR

If u dont qualify (ie no 800,000, OR not 65,000/month income OR combination of the 2- money in bank and income)
than just go to Laos or Phnom Penh and get a 60day tourist visa

I speak and write English fluently, use capitalization correctly, do not use Twitter abbreviations  and find your assumption insulting. 

I have posted the doc I got from IO in Phuket.  It is missing an all important  OR  at the end of requirement #  3. 

It is my opinion the Income affidavit I procured  from the consulate  will not be enough, they will want 800,000 in the bank. 

Just now, Here2008 said:

Nonsense!    There are 100's of "foreigners" in Phuket who do not experience 'bias' and who secure their extensions of stay without difficulty.

I suspect your problems are unique and possibly self generated. 

Complete rubbish !!  This forum has thousands of members  making the same observation as  mine.

There is a real bias against foreigners.  

• Sad 3
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, PhuketSarah said:

I appreciate your response but I have more questions  than just what does certify mean  Regardless  do not think it will be granted, and I'll have spent the 2000 + on nothing.  Not sure yet what I will do. 

I think there's a real bias toward foreigners, especially ones not supporting any Thais.

Marriage is harder, actually.  Lower money requirements, but more paperwork.  I don't disagree with some IOs (not all) having bias and/or being generally un-helpful (too busy watching TV, in your case).
If you are planning on leaving Thailand anyway, the TR-Visa would work.

As I fight my way through the marriage-extension process, I try to remember that "Immigration" does not equal "Thailand" - it's just one headache once a year.  Most Thais I meet are happy I am here.

3 minutes ago, PhuketSarah said:

It is my opinion the Income affidavit I procured  from the consulate  will not be enough, they will want 800,000 in the bank. 

That would be the first case of this ever reported.  It would not make any sense when you consider the combo-method option.

10 minutes ago, JackThompson said:

Marriage is harder, actually.  Lower money requirements, but more paperwork.  I don't disagree with some IOs (not all) having bias and/or being generally un-helpful (too busy watching TV, in your case).
If you are planning on leaving Thailand anyway, the TR-Visa would work.

As I fight my way through the marriage-extension process, I try to remember that "Immigration" does not equal "Thailand" - it's just one headache once a year.  Most Thais I meet are happy I am here.

That would be the first case of this ever reported.  It would not make any sense when you consider the combo-method option.

All based on  the sheet I was given.  A missing  or. Maybe you're correct, but I just can not respect an official office that gives out erred info, and then wants to pretend it's harassment to clarify it. He should have apologized to me, and then printed out a correct copy. Why didn't he? 

This is also on top of a very bad experience my last entry  where the I O wanted me to enter the country illegally to go to a bank.

I'm done pretending Thailand is all that.. 'cause it ain't. 

Edited by PhuketSarah

Just now, PhuketSarah said:

Thank you for that answer, not the passport but  Embassy affadavit?  I've read in this forum  this is happening too, a trip to MFA  or just the Bangkok head IO ? 

Not needed for embassy affidavit at Phuket immigration.

There are only 3 or 4 offices near Bangkok that are wanting the signature verified at the MFA.

Ok. So where were we? What thread am I on,  Where am I  (OMG  WHYYYYYY did I move here... It's so stressful. )

Ok   so I can do a tourist visa it seems barring any kind of bureaucratic F- wittery  over that... either at the consulate or the border and that gets me to end of Jan, which is fine, end of lease, and and of Land O Stress 

Thanks for the responses   ( and the support,  most of you..) 

If you can't take advice as a newbie from seasoned stayers I think this is your best plan...

5 minutes ago, Evilbaz said:

If you can't take advice as a newbie from seasoned stayers I think this is your best plan...

Agree.  Trusting immigration to not enforce a mistake upon a whim is just  wishful thinking.  Frankly I'm not sure it is a mistake and many concur IO can pretty much do what they wish- include enforcing a  so called mistake.

The operative language (also missing from the form but on MFA site )  is any additional docs ( i. e requirements ) can be requested.

8 minutes ago, PhuketSarah said:

The operative language (also missing from the form but on MFA site )  is any additional docs ( i. e requirements ) can be requested.

There is nothing on the MFA site for extensions of stay. The MFA is over embassies and consulates and has nothing to do with immigration.

Edit :This list on the immigration bureau website lists the basic requirements. https://www.immigration.go.th/content/service_22

Edited by ubonjoe
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, PhuketSarah said:

Agree.  Trusting immigration to not enforce a mistake upon a whim is just  wishful thinking.  Frankly I'm not sure it is a mistake and many concur IO can pretty much do what they wish- include enforcing a  so called mistake.

At the Phuket Immigration Office; you show up with your paperwork outside room 103, a university student volunteer comes and checks your paperwork. He will tell you if you are missing something and what paperwork you need to get before seeing an immigration officer. Then the officer asks you to put your phone number on your application. He stamps everything, takes your 1,900 Baht and tells you to go sit over there and have your photo taken. The woman seated next to the university student or the student takes your photo. The woman then hands you your receipt and they tell you come back after 1 PM tomorrow.

Does that sound too hard? It wasn't for me or the rest of us that have done it this year and responded to your posts about our experience on the Phuket Forum. Yet you still seem to think Thai Immigration is out to get you. Have you overstayed or broken the law? Then just go do it. Be polite, dress nicely like you are doing official business at a Government office and don't ask a bunch of questions, repeatedly, like on the forums!

• Like 2

You mean that they will ALSO want 800k baht in the bank?

That is entirely your assumption based on an ad-hoc translation of the official MFA instructions. The piece of paper that it is on renders it as exactly that; a piece of paper as it has no official Immigration emblems names, dates, signatures, nada.

You are dead set on leaving and who can blame you apart from the poor choice of making Phuket your chosen abode. Hopefully a forum member from Phuket will chime in with fresh experience about what is required and what is acceptable with regard to provenance of funds. I find it hard to believe that this is a universal mandate of the Phuket Immigration office or else these forum pages would have been swelled long ago with all the complaints, rants and raves this "double-the-money" rule entails. Then again, maybe they are all rich and this doesn't create a problem for them.

My personal experience in Jomtien and Udon Thani is they want 800 k baht seasoned OR proof of 65k minimum monthly income OR a combination of both to meet the 800k target. I think this is also the rules for most of the regional Immigration offices. So many other places one could live.

5 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

That is entirely your assumption based on an ad-hoc translation of the official MFA instructions. The piece of paper that it is on renders it as exactly that; a piece of paper as it has no official Immigration emblems names, dates, signatures, nada.

You are dead set on leaving and who can blame you apart from the poor choice of making Phuket your chosen abode. Hopefully a forum member from Phuket will chime in with fresh experience about what is required and what is acceptable with regard to provenance of funds. I find it hard to believe that this is a universal mandate of the Phuket Immigration office or else these forum pages would have been swelled long ago with all the complaints, rants and raves this "double-the-money" rule entails. Then again, maybe they are all rich and this doesn't create a problem for them.

My personal experience in Jomtien and Udon Thani is they want 800 k baht seasoned OR proof of 65k minimum monthly income OR a combination of both to meet the 800k target. I think this is also the rules for most of the regional Immigration offices. So many other places one could live.

My last post, just above Jimi007 should clarify things for you.

The financial requirements in Phuket are no different from the rest of Thailand.

Edited by phuketjock
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

Read the two posts above yours. We have advised her to the latest requirements I did my extension in May at the Phuket Immigration Office and she keeps banging on about nothing! And the income rules as you state are the same everywhere in Thailand. Though I'd much rather live on my end of an island as big as Singapore that your chosen locations! 

• Like 1