Jomtien sign about following regulations disobeys the regulations!

webfact

Jomtien sign about following regulations disobeys the regulations!

1apm.jpg 

Picture: Sophon Cable

PATTAYA: -- A sign erected in Jomtien to remind people to follow the law is now blocking the sidewalk and has injured many distracted tourists.

Sophon reported that the sign - put up in a joint effort by Pattaya authorities and the local police to improve things - has been blocking the pavement for a month after rusting and falling down its pole.

An unnamed tourist was on hand to do the pointing lest there be any doubt about the hazard.

Sophon said that this had occurred despite the authorities in the resort attempting to clean up hazards by demanding the removal of signage in places like Walking Street.

The first rule mentioned in the sign is about not riding on the sidewalk.

Motorcycle taxi guys on the beach said it had been like that for a month and despite the authorities being told nothing had been done. They said many tourists - walking and looking at their phones - had walked slap bang into the sign hurting themselves.

Comments by Thais on Sophon's Facebook page were a catalog of derision aimed at the authorities.

For the benefit of those who do not read Thai the ten rules that must be obeyed in the sign forbid:

1.Driving on the sidewalk

2. Not having a license

3. Jaywalking

4. Not wearing seatbelts

5. Negligent and dangerous driving

6. Drunk driving

7. Not having a helmet

8. Noise pollution

9. Illegal parking

10. Reserving road space for business use.

Source: Sophon Cable

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-08-07

8 minutes ago, webfact said:

They said many tourists - walking and looking at their phones - had walked slap bang into the sign hurting themselves.

Although the sign should not be there, it is the duty of pedestrians to look for trouble, not for oPhones. So: NO Merci.

Edited by Aachen

1. Driving on the sidewalk --- where else can you go during a traffic jam?

3. Jaywalking --- how are you going to cross the road?

4. Not wearing seatbelts --- motorbikes don't have seatbelts

5. Negligent and dangerous driving --- see #1

8. Noise pollution --- tell that to the boys playing DJ-SR at full volume while drinking on the beach and doing #9

9. Illegal parking

Although the sign should not be there, it is the duty of pedestrians to look for trouble, not for oPhones. So: NO Merci.

I used to think that , but I've since learned otherwise . Like the rest of the Thai population, you don't look where you're going, you look at the ground in front of you for traps . Holes , steel bolts from lamppost's removed years ago , slabs of concrete in the middle of the footpath for no apparent reason , with the occasional look up for low hanging signs and overhead cables.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

4 hours ago, wgdanson said:

But if the sign had originally been far enough up the pole for folks to walk under, it would have been too high to bother reading it. Can't win eh?

Bigger letters perhaps?

1 hour ago, hansnl said:

It is possible to stay on the sidewalk while passing the parked car and all the poles.

So no complaints please.

I think you missed the evil genius of the 2 cars, light pole and sign carefully placed in concert to herd pedestrians into the open sewer drain.

To what end?  I have no clue...

Thai Sign.jpg

8 hours ago, ezflip said:

1. Driving on the sidewalk --- where else can you go during a traffic jam?

3. Jaywalking --- how are you going to cross the road?

4. Not wearing seatbelts --- motorbikes don't have seatbelts

5. Negligent and dangerous driving --- see #1

8. Noise pollution --- tell that to the boys playing DJ-SR at full volume while drinking on the beach and doing #9

9. Illegal parking

1. You can go with the flow and act like a person with a driver license.

3. At designated spot for crossing the road. Then it´s not called jaywalking.

4. Doesn´t stand that they have, and probably not meant for motorbikes.

5. No, get a grip on reality and understand how to drive.

you might have 2 points out of 6. Not bad!:smile:

hmmm... that last sign serves another purpose

- it diverts you away from getting tangled in those hanging wires behind it

someone is going to have TOFTT - put on a bike helmet and Charlie Chaplin... and walk into it

22 hours ago, impulse said:

If you made this stuff up for a film, nobody would believe it.  

They'd be looking for Allen Funt and the hidden cameras.

It really is pretty funny.  All the nits staring into their phones and walking into it.  But, and I am sure this was part of the sign mounting design is it was intended to stop or discourage riding bikes or scooters on the sidewalk, so the made the sign big enough and mounted it so it blocks the sidewalk.  But there really is not much room for pedestrians to get around it, certainly not when there are a lot of people

On 8/7/2017 at 8:33 AM, impulse said:

If you made this stuff up for a film, nobody would believe it.  

They'd be looking for Allen Funt and the hidden cameras.

Of course they would.  How many believe in Alice in wonderland and that there are fairies and elves at the bottom of the garden.:sorry::wai:

On 07/08/2017 at 2:26 AM, Aachen said:

No Mercy indeed .. Strong message but maybe thats what they need .. So i'll drink to that .. 

The day cometh when all street furniture will incorporate sensors that detect the approach of mobiles and will instant message them a warning " Look out "  or  " You are about to crash " therebye saving the user embarrassments and a bump on the head .. :ph34r:

7 hours ago, gk10002000 said:

It really is pretty funny.  All the nits staring into their phones and walking into it.  But, and I am sure this was part of the sign mounting design is it was intended to stop or discourage riding bikes or scooters on the sidewalk, so the made the sign big enough and mounted it so it blocks the sidewalk.  But there really is not much room for pedestrians to get around it, certainly not when there are a lot of people

Nits .!  Unless i've got the wrong end of the stick Nits were headlice when I was in school and if that is still the case how small are they making these bloody mobile phones now .?  :ph34r: