Sattahip-Koh Chang ferry starts in September, new service linking Chonburi and Prachuap also planned

webfact

Sattahip-Koh Chang ferry starts in September, new service linking Chonburi and Prachuap also planned

dn.jpg

Picture: Daily News

SATTAHIP: -- The proposed new ferry service between Sattahip and Koh Chang will officially launch in September.

The service will be run by the Royal Passenger Liner Co, the company which currently operates the ferry between Pattaya and Hua Hin.

The new service will run from Chuk Samet pier in Sattahip and Bang Bao pier on Koh Chang, officials from the Marine Department have confirmed.

There is no news yet regarding fares for the service as ticket prices are still to be decided, officials said.

In addition, the Marine Department also plans to launch a car ferry service between the Chuk Samet pier and Pranburi in Prachuap Khiri Khan.

The proposed service has been put forward for consideration by the Transport Ministry and would require the construction of a new pier at a cost of more than one billion baht, Daily News reported.

The news comes following the launch of the Pattaya-Hua Hin ferry which officially began on 12th February this year.

Stats released to Thairath in March revealed the service had been running at between 50-60 percent capacity and that 80 percent of passengers are foreign tourists.

Tickets cost Bt 1,250 each way, including for children over three years old.

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-08-07

Why use Sattahip for the koh Chang ferry when the main customer base is in Pattaya, makes no sense at all.

If you have to make arrangement for transport from Pattaya to Sattahip you might just as well go all the way down to Trat and take the ferry there.

Why use Sattahip for the koh Chang ferry when the main customer base is in Pattaya, makes no sense at all.

If you have to make arrangement for transport from Pattaya to Sattahip you might just as well go all the way down to Trat and take the ferry there.
Depends where in Sattahip

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, pattjock said:

Outstanding point!! I often wondered why there wasn't direct sea transportation to Koh Chang from Pattaya.  Royal Passenger Liner Co...Go back to the drawing board.

I'd be a regular weekend passenger if they picked up at Khlong Toei Port in BKK...  And went just about anywhere nice.  Getting out of BKK traffic on Friday afternoon and back into town on Sunday makes weekend getaways too stressful.  

Hop on a boat, kick back with some videos, live scenery of the female persuasion and a cold beverage or 6, and watch the water going by.  Or white knuckle it in downtown traffic.  Hmmm.

I agree and costing baht 10,000 for 4 people its cheaper to catch the ferry from trat

Sent from my SM-G935F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

2 hours ago, pattjock said:

Sattahip is 25 mins from Pattaya and Trat is about 4 hrs

1 hour ago, pattayadon said:

Outstanding point!! I often wondered why there wasn't direct sea transportation to Koh Chang from Pattaya.  Royal Passenger Liner Co...Go back to the drawing board.

Not everyone wanting to visit Koh Chang resides in Pattaya.

Air Asia now have flights to U-Tapao from Udon Thani which should be perfect to connect with this service to Koh Chang.

1 hour ago, impulse said:

I'd be a regular weekend passenger if they picked up at Khlong Toei Port in BKK...  And went just about anywhere nice.  Getting out of BKK traffic on Friday afternoon and back into town on Sunday makes weekend getaways too stressful.  

Hop on a boat, kick back with some videos, live scenery of the female persuasion and a cold beverage or 6, and watch the water going by.  Or white knuckle it in downtown traffic.  Hmmm.

Yup, me too.

3 hours ago, webfact said:

There is no news yet regarding fares for the service as ticket prices are still to be decided, officials said.

When you are going to start a business, shouldn't the first thing you do be pricing it up to check if it can be viable? If they don't know how much to charge the passengers how do they know whether or not they can attract the numbers needed?

If there are no traffic problems and no waiting at the ferry in Laem Ngop you can make the Pattaya to Koh Chang White Sands in 3.5 hours and it will cost 800Baht in petrol and ferry ticket for one person and the car.

To take the new ferry from Sattahip you will probably need to leave Pattaya 1 hour before ferry departure and find and pay for parking in Sattahip. The ferry trip should take about 3 hours, at 30 knots. You will then arrive in Bang Bao which is about 30 minutes and 200 Baht from White Sands, not that you need to go to White Sands. I'm not sure what the cost of the new ferry ticket is but say 2500Baht.

The time to get from Pattaya to White Sands would then be about 4.5 hours and cost around 3000 Baht for 1 person.

If they are smart enough to add a complimentary shuttle service from Pattaya to the ferry in Sattahip I would still consider using it to avoid driving.

I see they mention a car ferry service elsewhere to be introduced. 

Why not have one on this route so people can drive to Sattahip & straight onto the ferry?

Also assuming there is no provision for bikes. Would hope there is but as per the Hua Hin route...probably not. 

Edited by LammyTS1

The factor that keeps getting left off the price/time discussion is that most tourists didn't bring their car from home when they hopped on the plane to Thailand, and most locals don't own a car- 75-80% of the vehicles are scooters.  Driving themselves isn't even an option for them, unless they rent a car.

8 hours ago, pattjock said:

Tazi mafia needs money !

"The new service will run from Chuk Samet pier in Sattahip and Bang Bao pier on Koh Chang, officials from the Marine Department have confirmed."

Any safe car park there ?

"In addition, the Marine Department also plans to launch a car ferry service between the Chuk Samet pier and Pranburi in Prachuap Khiri Khan."

Yes, for sure I will put a 10mb car on a dangerous old ferry to cross a very tough sea !

On ‎8‎/‎6‎/‎2017 at 11:12 PM, pattjock said:

Think they are betting on the come....Utapao Airport is getting more flights of tourists in and out all the time.  

15 hours ago, OJAS said:

Nope, could be a suicidal sea voyage instead if the wind gets up!

In a warm sea with a life jacket, I'm pretty sure I have the swimming skills to survive a ferry accident.

No amount of skill or equipment can help me survive a fiery van wreck.

55 minutes ago, johng said:

Only non alcoholic beverages allowed on Thai public transportation

Though I don't drink, I'm still ambivalent about that.  

On one hand, the vast majority of people who can handle their toddies would enjoy, and it would be an excellent earner for the ferry operator.

On the other hand, the few people who cannot handle their booze can sure make life miserable for the rest, especially in a confined space with no easy escape.

They do serve alcohol on airplanes, no?  And the ferry service is run by a private company?  And in a pinch, brown envelopes trump all regulations? May not be a problem.  They may even be able to run short time rooms and see business skyrocket.

Edited by impulse