Farang Fiancé: Course teaches Thai women married to foreigners what to expect abroad

webfact

47 minutes ago, dunroaming said:

Every story is different but there are trends.  I think generally speaking if you go to live in Thailand and marry a Thai woman you should stay in Thailand unless you have deep pockets and the wife wants the adventure of living in farang-land.  In Thailand you tend to enjoy a better way of life than in the west and the wife gets to keep her family in easy reach which is usually very important to them.  Being married to a farang in Thailand gives the girl/woman a status that she wouldn't normally have and it is likely she will be treated better by her husband than by the Thai equivalent. 

In farang-land the girl may get on well but often they become very homesick.  Many people will assume she came from a bar or the internet and she will find it harder to integrate.  This usually means she will seek out other Thai girls which means she will isolate herself and create a "them and us" mentality which is quite common.  It is hard for them and without their family support group they will feel lonely and insecure.  Of course the farang husband will do their best to support his Thai wife but she will still feel like a fish out of water.  Ask yourself if this is fair.

In our case we came to the UK for our son's education.  My wife found it hard and the first year she went back to Thailand twice for six weeks at a time.  The next year she spent four months in Thailand, the next year three months and now she just goes for a month every year.  We have been here seven years now.  She did meet some other Thai women when we arrived but didn't get on with them at all.  As she said "In Thailand I wouldn't mix with these girls so why would I want to here?"  Then again my wife doesn't suffer fools gladly.  I thought the Thai girls were OK, it was their husbands who were the jerks :smile:.

Now my wife has fully integrated although her best friends are Chinese/Singapore and Japanese.  Must be something comforting in The Asian connection.  When our son goes off to uni (if he gets the grades!) then my wife will return to Thailand where she owns her own house.  Whether I return there full time is doubtful.  I prefer to remember Thailand as it was when I thought of it as nirvana. 

signed

Gary's mate..

You are right and wrong. Because of my work, my wife and I have lived in various countries, where we were both strangers. My wife always makes it work, food, language etc she rolls with the place. However she is totally stoked with Thailand and that will always be her go back to place. Does she love Thailand? 100 % and she does have the worldly knowledge to make her choice, absolutely. As it turns out I also love the place, though I can think of plenty of places I love the same

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 minutes ago, Berkshire said:

I drive every single day in Thailand, no problems.  Sounds like you have personal issues. 

Not in Thailand full time.

Cars far too expensive.

Night driving not easy (75 years old)

A car unused for 6-8 months not good.

So perhaps more practical than personal reasons?

Edited by laislica

28 minutes ago, Aussieroaming said:

You are right and wrong. Because of my work, my wife and I have lived in various countries, where we were both strangers. My wife always makes it work, food, language etc she rolls with the place. However she is totally stoked with Thailand and that will always be her go back to place. Does she love Thailand? 100 % and she does have the worldly knowledge to make her choice, absolutely. As it turns out I also love the place, though I can think of plenty of places I love the same

Every story is different as I have said before.   We can only go by our own experiences or of those of people around us.  My wife has lost a great deal of her love for Thailand and is frustrated by it and many of the people she knows there.  She will go back because of her family who she is close to.

As for Spain, I am looking carefully at moving there when my son has flown the nest.  And yes it can be cheaper than Thailand these days.  The food is excellent and if you like Rioja as I do then you are in good shape.  In fact I am off there with my son in a couple of weeks time and he loves it too.

Edited by dunroaming

4 hours ago, HiSoLowSoNoSo said:

Do they expect that upper class well-off and educated farangs marry  uneducated girls from Esaan??

I don't know, but me and my friends all married for the money... that should upset a few stupid sexist Thai's :post-4641-1156694572:

2 minutes ago, laislica said:

Yes.

In Spain we have a car, I dare not drive in Thailand.

Thus, in Spain we have mobility, can go places and visit friends for just the cost of diesel.

In Thailand I get bored so we fly to Chiang Mai or other such places and stay in hotels and spend money like water!

The cost of superb wine in Spain is almost give away.

Cost of clothes same or less than Thailand.....

Hi

can you tell us about your border runs and 90 day reports and the amount of cash you donot have to have in the bank. Do your kids get treated like s>>> at school and the 328% import tax you pay on a import car. What about the dual pricing and being a farang

The You are just a Guest here statements.

If you do not like it go home comments. or just send us the money and stay at home

That you cannot own land or a house

That police there do work except 12 to 2

How much a half decent bottle of Australian wine costs, £5 in the UK

Can you use facebook without fear of a knock on the door.

I wonder what its like living in Spain compared to here (NOT)

PS I am asking about Spain here not doing any bashing.

PPS I know what you are going to say

keep well and enjoy the sunshine as you seem someone who has seen the light well done.

6 hours ago, Happy enough said:

but what if they already had their own land and own money and never had to live in Coventry or marry a bloke called gary. more nonsense. I shouldn't say this but i'm assuming you had a bad experience with a girl that didn't love you. from up north right? poor lad. you'll be ok

I was the one stallioning the bored Thai girls while their hubbies were at home. There was no shortage of them where I lived in London. I knew at least eight all looking for a way out, some of their husbands were rich - owned businesses properties, others were dirt poor, but story was often the same -- bored of their old English husband. Often the marriages would fizzle out, he would neglect them etc etc. The others that weren't trying to get back home just partied, took drugs or screwed around. There were happily married girls though. 

Edited by RandolphGB

8 minutes ago, Berkshire said:

For a guy trying to convince himself that he's made the right decision, you're sure spending a lot of time on a Thailand website.  I left America and have never spent time on a USA website, trying to convince those who stayed what a great decision I made.  Wonder why that is?

But many do, do they not

The others just visit for a good laugh at ? I think sorry know.

20 minutes ago, Berkshire said:

I drive every single day in Thailand, no problems.  Sounds like you have personal issues. 

Me too over 150.000k in two years but all I see are idiots trying to kill each other every day. But in the local villages near 7/11 a bit safer except for the boys on motorbikes who think they are at Indy and the bloody noise, mind you I just saw a motorist drive down the Asia road on the wrong side with his lights flashing and since leaving BK I must have seen a hundred of these incidents.

Next time you visit the UK go to Specsavers.

Current or last add hook line said on TV after a cock up

Should have gone to specsavers

10 minutes ago, oldgent said:

HaHa excuse me for laughing but all the I love Spain posters are in for a very unsettled time

assuming they are British once Brexit kicks in they are going to be big changes

Not English! If i were i would feel at home in pats... but only during happy hour 555

2 minutes ago, wakeupplease said:

Me too over 150.000k in two years but all I see are idiots trying to kill each other every day. But in the local villages near 7/11 a bit safer except for the boys on motorbikes who think they are at Indy and the bloody noise, mind you I just saw a motorist drive down the Asia road on the wrong side with his lights flashing and since leaving BK I must have seen a hundred of these incidents.

Next time you visit the UK go to Specsavers.

Current or last add hook line said on TV after a cock up

Should have gone to specsavers

Specially if wearing rose coloured specs!

3 minutes ago, dunroaming said:

Why? I have lived in several countries, most outside the EU but apart from the medical insurance costs I cannot see big changes in Spain at all.  Certainly much easier to live in than Thailand and cheaper too.

if you dont know what is coming then prepare for changes. once the UK no longer contributes to the EU

what do you thing is going to happen in Spain

2 minutes ago, oldgent said:

if you dont know what is coming then prepare for changes. once the UK no longer contributes to the EU

Why should it be different to what it was before the EU was even invented?

There are more cynical old men gonna make more derogatory comments while I curl up soon with my Darling Thai

wife of 16 years in a minute..

Having lived abroad & now in Thailand together some of the wailing on here makes me sick

2 minutes ago, oldgent said:

Maybe prices will fall even further?   I am being churlish I know but truth is nobody knows what difference there will be after Brexit because nobody knows what Brexit consists of.

7 minutes ago, observer90210 said:

The big advantage in Spain is that there are not all those visa hassles, no corrupt immigration officials who can make life hell, no cheating taxi drivers refusing to turn on the meter,  cheap real estate of good quality where you own the land, great weather, good and cheap food,  booze is cheaper then in Thailand, so is the labour, hanky panky is available in certain selected tourist resorts, safe roads..and much more....

if Thailand does not wake up fast regarding it's treatment to farangs, the country will loose substantial revenue...but they will understand only when it's too late....pity..

Geez man, what is wrong with you people?  If Spain is so freakin perfect, go there already.  It takes a certain amount of stupidity for one to stay in a place that he abhors.  At least that Harold guy practices what he preaches...although I'm at a loss to understand why he's spending time on Thaivisa and not Spainvisa.  But whatever...

Edited by Berkshire

13 minutes ago, oldgent said:

HaHa excuse me for laughing but all the I love Spain posters are in for a very unsettled time

assuming they are British once Brexit kicks in they are going to be big changes

What you think may be very wrong

None seem to remember the old days when the UK traded with the world and got better products at better prices (only  £5/00 for a bottle of Australian wine now) and all they need to say to the likes of Mercedes and BMW and other is you want to sell cars here in one of your biggest markets?  Build a factory here like in Thailand and then you can sell and to our new free trade markets.

All the British businesses need to do is get off their backside and do as their forefathers did. and yes UK tourists will still go to Spain on holiday and live there just wait and see.

Keep laughing and we will Speak again in Two Years Keep well.

Just now, natway09 said:

There are more cynical old men gonna make more derogatory comments while I curl up soon with my Darling Thai

wife of 16 years in a minute..

Having lived abroad & now in Thailand together some of the wailing on here makes me sick

I trust you mean she has been your wife for sixteen years and not that she is sixteen years old? :smile:  I've been with my wife for sixteen years and she still thinks she is sixteen :wink:

Yes.
In Spain we have a car, I dare not drive in Thailand.
Thus, in Spain we have mobility, can go places and visit friends for just the cost of diesel.
In Thailand I get bored so we fly to Chiang Mai or other such places and stay in hotels and spend money like water!
The cost of superb wine in Spain is almost give away.
Cost of clothes same or less than Thailand.....

Unfortunately for me and this Brexit nonsense it seems like soon it won't be a option.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

7 hours ago, Happy enough said:

but what if they already had their own land and own money and never had to live in Coventry or marry a bloke called gary. more nonsense. I shouldn't say this but i'm assuming you had a bad experience with a girl that didn't love you. from up north right? poor lad. you'll be ok

Sadly, you may be right, but he is not alone; many farangs have had bad experiences with Thai women.  However, that is not to say that many Thai women have not had bad experiences with farangs. 

3 minutes ago, Baerboxer said:

Isn't that somewhat racist? Picturing Africans or Afro-Americans in one stereo type and then switching to a Caucasian?

And implying that Africans or Afro-Americans have money to throw about and Caucasians are all bin-men!!!!  :smile: