It's all about the stickers as big Sri Racha sex raid comes up almost empty

webfact

It's all about the stickers as big Sri Racha sex raid comes up almost empty

Image.jpg

Picture: Manager

A big raid mounted by 50 agents at 10 Sri Racha "entertainment" establishments last night found no evidence of human trafficking or drug taking.

In fact just seven women in all the karaoke lounges and other venues didn't have their ID. They were fined and warned to always carry ID in future.

Urine tests were carried out on all the girls but these were all negative.

The main purpose of the late night raids seem to have been to distribute stickers for the door of each establishment.

These said: "Stop Human Trafficking" and were duly attached.

The authorities explained that human trafficking was bad and could lead to between 4 to 12 years in jail and fines of 400,000 to 1.2 million baht, said Manager.

Source: Manager

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-08-09

I guess that human trafficking must be the latest buzz word.

The fact is that because a person elects to work in the sex industry, it does not constitute human trafficking.  That also applies to underage workers, if they are working of their own free will.  Human trafficking really only applies if someone is forced to do something against their will, and that applies regardless of the persons age.

The underage worker thing is a whole other can of worms and should not be mixed in with human trafficking, unless coercion is involved.

I have known (not in the biblical sense) underage sex workers, who most definitely were working of their own free will.

40 minutes ago, canuckamuck said:

I guess the headline is irrelevant. Nothing here about stickers

If you blur your eyes and look at it sideways, you'll see that the article mentions that their main focus seemed to be putting anti-human trafficking stickers on the establishment doors (probably to show that they've been there), and not so much on running anybody in for infractions.

1 hour ago, canuckamuck said:

I guess the headline is irrelevant. Nothing here about stickers

Maybe they are supposed to have a sticker on their arse.  like an induction sticker you put on your hard hat

53 minutes ago, WhizBang said:

I guess that human trafficking must be the latest buzz word.

The fact is that because a person elects to work in the sex industry, it does not constitute human trafficking.  That also applies to underage workers, if they are working of their own free will.  Human trafficking really only applies if someone is forced to do something against their will, and that applies regardless of the persons age.

I have known (not in the biblical sense) underage sex workers, who most definitely were working of their own free will.

Yes.. I find 'Trafficking' a really confusing concept..  It implies movement, but yet for none of the government or NGO papers I read this is a requirement.   It's really, really weird.   Why can't we use words that mean what people understand they mean.

Other than that, when it comes to underage people, the concept is that they're not yet capable of making these decisions so the concept of free will does not apply;  in effect they have the right to be protected from their own choices, not have those choices exploited.  

We can debate if that makes sense for every 17 year old, and that doing a raid and 'rescuing' her to be put in some NGO or government facility is in her best interest.   (IMHO: in some cases yes, in other cases no.)

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

2 hours ago, webfact said:

The main purpose of the late night raids seem to have been to distribute stickers for the door of each establishment.

The main purpose would be to put them on the police list for regular payments.

1 hour ago, Dobredin Ghusputin said:

Factories and construction sites have "Safety First" signs, now karaoke bars have "Stop Human Trafficking" stickers.

What's next - massage parlours with "Mind Your Head" banners?

And wallets .. :smile:

2 hours ago, Dobredin Ghusputin said:

Factories and construction sites have "Safety First" signs, now karaoke bars have "Stop Human Trafficking" stickers.

They'll probably put signs out at eye level telling you to mind your head as you walk under it.

Or.....

4 hours ago, webfact said:

The authorities explained that human trafficking was bad and could lead to between 4 to 12 years in jail and fines of 400,000 to 1.2 million baht, said Manager.

Bad ?  How about immoral ?   How about not using and abusing other people ?  How about treating others with respect ?  Bad ....  It is obvious that some people only care about appearances and not morality. 

4 hours ago, worgeordie said:

10 Sri Racha "entertainment establishments" and found only  7 ladies,

quiet night,or were the others out on assignment ?

regards Worgeordie

To be fair, 7 ladies without ID cards.

The ID's were likely behind the reception of some hotels of their LT marks...................:thumbsup:

Yeah, yeah, total speculation I know.......................:tongue:

3 hours ago, Dobredin Ghusputin said:

"Mind your Masseuse's Head" maybe...................:tongue:

4 hours ago, worgeordie said:

10 Sri Racha "entertainment establishments" and found only  7 ladies,

quiet night,or were the others out on assignment ?

regards Worgeordie

Stay on the ball, old chap.

In fact just seven women in all the karaoke lounges and other venues didn't have their ID. 

7 did not have ID's, the other 200 (?) presumably did.

"The fact is that because a person elects to work in the sex industry, it does not constitute human trafficking."

In the Philippines the government changed the definition of human trafficking and it now covers recruitment of girls who are paid a salary and are willingly working in bars. A lot of bar owners have been caught out