A Head's Up For SOME Married Non-O People

My wife and I have been married for  13 years and I stopped relying on Non-B extensions about 5-6 yrs ago. (Took a yr off teaching and attended a yr at Rampkapang in their English degree program to study what it was like to be a student instead of the teacher. Personal growth achievement and helps for licence renewals).

Anyway, now to the challenge for UbonJoe: Immigration asked my wife why the amphere didn't send over a form that said she is using my family name as her married name. ??? She had the married document, her ID card name change, her passport name change and even the documentation for when some idiot told her to change her name to be lucky. [that's a whole other forum story] 

Apparently, there was some new law passed that if your Thai wife (spouse?) is using your family name then your wife (spouse?) has to go to the nearest amphere office (doesn't have to be back home) and they fill in and print out and stamp a form that says your wife (spouse?) is using your family name of her own choosing.

That's as best of a translation as I can get from my wife. Government Law has never been 1 of our discussion topics. :)

Edited by mrwebb8825
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

My wife is not 'using my family name,' since we married ,it has become her own. All that paperwork was sorted out when we went to the local Ampour to register the marriage. 

I am sorry I am probably slow.. But what do you mean with your wifes use of your family name?? Does she have your name or not?

sorry....

Glegolo

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Never heard of such a requirement to apply for a extension of stay based upon marriage.

When did your wife change her name? Has it been since you applied for your current extension?

My wife has had my family name since the day we registered our marriage. Applied for my 10th extension based upon marriage yesterday without a problem.

Like I said, she's had my family name on everything since we were married. We've had 1 visa and 5 yrs of extensions with the exact same paperwork at the same office with the same people. This time, they asked for this new form.

ETA: They had a semi-private meeting on the phone with the amphere's office (my wife was sitting near them) apparently explaining the new requirement of which the amphere's office seemed unaware.

Edited by mrwebb8825

2 minutes ago, mrwebb8825 said:

Like I said, she's had my family name on everything since we were married. We've had 1 visa and 5 yrs of extensions with the exact same paperwork at the same office with the same people. This time, they asked for this new form.

I don't know what form it could be other than a name change certificate.

Which office is asking for that?

3 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

I don't know what form it could be other than a name change certificate.

Which office is asking for that.

Chocheansoa (<-sp)

It turned out to be about 2/3 the size of the A4 paper they printed it on.

As In: it fit in the middle of the sheet like a framed photo

Edited by mrwebb8825

2 minutes ago, mrwebb8825 said:

Chocheansoa (<-sp)

Do you mean the Chachoengsao office?

I think you need to back and get a clarification of what they want.

Perhaps just a statement done by her saying she changed her name by choice which makes no sense to me if you got married after the law was changed in 2002. My wife had to take my name when we registered our marriage 2001.

• Like 1

Apparently, it was a Constitutional Court ruling in 2003, not a law change, that made it no longer compulsory for a Thai woman  to adopt her  husband's surname after marriage:

http://www.thailawonline.com/en/family/marriage-in-thailand/changing-name-at-marriage.html

No mention on the linked page that a special form needs to be signed and a copy kept by the woman to certify that she adopted her husband's surname of her own free will.

mrwebb8825, can you scan that form and post it, with personal details blurred or pixelated?

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Do you mean the Chachoengsao office?

I think you need to back and get a clarification of what they want.

Perhaps just a statement done by her saying she changed her name by choice which makes no sense to me if you got married after the law was changed in 2002. My wife had to take my name when we registered our marriage 2001.

Apparently, this new form IS that statement. We got married in 2005. (for those of you doing the math, remember that in Thailand the 1st yr counts so the 1st yr's end is counted as 2.)

21 minutes ago, Maestro said:

Apparently, it was a Constitutional Court ruling in 2003, not a law change, that made it no longer compulsory for a Thai woman  to adopt her  husband's surname after marriage:

http://www.thailawonline.com/en/family/marriage-in-thailand/changing-name-at-marriage.html

No mention on the linked page that a special form needs to be signed and a copy kept by the woman to certify that she adopted her husband's surname of her own free will.

mrwebb8825, can you scan that form and post it, with personal details blurred or pixelated?

The lady at immigration said it was a new law. I don't have a copy of the form to post as my wife only got 2 originals and gave them both to the immigration lady.

Let me ask the wife if she remembers the form number.

Edited by mrwebb8825

58 minutes ago, mrwebb8825 said:

The lady at immigration said it was a new law.

Researching some more, I found that it happened in two steps:

• 2003: Constitutional Court ruling
  • 2008: Amendment to the Person’s Name Act B.E. 2505 (1962)

Source: https://www.quora.com/When-a-Thai-woman-marries-a-foreign-man-does-she-change-her-family-name-to-the-husbands-name#!n=12

From the 2005 amendment of the law:

A spouse shall have the right to adopt the surname of the other spouse as agreed or each spouse is entitled to adopt his or her previous surname

The above "as agreed" obviously is the reason why the district office obtains and keeps on file the spouse's written agreement to take the other spouse's surname. After the district office has issued a new ID card with the new surname, it seems strange that an immigration officer should ask for a copy of this name change agreement, as if the immigration officer suspected that the district office issued the new ID card in error. But then, this is Thailand, and fortunately not all immigration offices go to that length.

That sounds confusing.  One would think that in the normal course of filling out all the necessary documentation to file the marriage at the Amphur that the clerk would have filled out the form changing your wife's last name to yours.  It they overlooked it, it sounds like a 'one off' and a mistake by the Amphur clerk.  We were married almost 10 years ago and have had many dealing with the Amphur, and that issues has never surfaced for her while we've been married.  And I've extended based on married in Korat, Chiang Mai, and this year in Lamphun.  That issue has never come up.

Edited by connda

Years ago 30 ish ,even in say CM, it was hard to find a Boss who could speak good English . Now even in a small provenance,you can go alone find a Boss and ask yourself..Every Sunday i listen to He Said, She Said rubbish from Old Hands who talk rubbish to Newbies asking their advise.Ubon Joes resolve is admirable,seems to me folks are to lazy or shy to go alone, sit down with The Man n Exit with Facts,not tittle tattle.?[emoji86]

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

42 minutes ago, Ace of Pop said:

Years ago 30 ish ,even in say CM, it was hard to find a Boss who could speak good English . Now even in a small provenance,you can go alone find a Boss and ask yourself..Every Sunday i listen to He Said, She Said rubbish from Old Hands who talk rubbish to Newbies asking their advise.Ubon Joes resolve is admirable,seems to me folks are to lazy or shy to go alone, sit down with The Man n Exit with Facts,not tittle tattle.?emoji86.png

It is not all rubbish, maybe you are living in a bubble, or somewhat exaggerating.. Not all "Old hands" live in Pattaya or Chiang Mai, and not all are stupid.

Take me i.e., Chaiyaphum. City of Chaiyaphum in province Chaiyaphum. I can easily go in to the amphue office here, not a single soul speaks or understand english. I go into the main office at the police-station, 1 guy at the second floor speaks a little bit pidgin-english.. I go to Big C no english at all.... I go to the transport-office, nobody I ever met there speaks any english.... And so on and on and on..

I have met and agree with you somewhat, some people here now shown up, and actualy can farth in english or even speaks a couple of words, so maybe it is on the very right track hopefully in the future.

But categoricly say ALL GOOD, and that people are lazy and stupid, is not at all applicable to all towns and provincies in Thaiand.... I NEED to bring my wife in order to get clarity, and pass all the nonsense.. Even though I have learned hundreds of words, and can with mouth, hands, and body, make some understanding to thai people I meet in daily life...

Glegolo

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Ace of Pop said:

Oh dear, i think I've upset someone.?.But most of you get my point, they are more helpful these days.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

What kind of a strange answer is that, really??? You indicated that the english-abilities all over the place, where quite good nowadays, contrary to in the old days, so no problem to go and talk to the old man at the office youself, and clear up things...

I just responded, that in some places like mine (Chaiyaphum), it is impossible as the english here is in more or less non existence....:sleepy:

So nobody is upset at all.... Always good to share experiencies...

Glegolo

• Like 1

On 8/10/2017 at 2:42 PM, sandyf said:

It should be recorded on the reverse of the marriage certificate what action was taken - Form Khor Roh.3

My copy has been truncated at the top because of the statement at the bottom.

1b marriage cert1b.pdf

as I said in the OP; it Is recorded on the reverse side as well. This was a whole new paper we never needed to have before.

21 hours ago, mrwebb8825 said:

as I said in the OP; it Is recorded on the reverse side as well. This was a whole new paper we never needed to have before.

I wasn't actually referring to your situation as you were married before 2008. It was more of a general comment that there was a form on the reverse of the marriage certificate that some seem to have overlooked indicating both parties agree to which surname is to be used by the female party.