Travelers in Thailand warned of severe penalties for flouting liquids in aircraft regulations after report

snoop1130

Travelers in Thailand warned of severe penalties for flouting liquids in aircraft regulations after report

CiHZjUdJ5HPNXJ92GO1Csp3UVcdlbnhm2Q.jpg

Following recommendations issued by the International Civil Aviation Organization the Thai authorities have warned the public of penalties for carrying liquids on planes.

Nittinai Sirisamatkarn said that people could be jailed for a year and/or fined up to 40,000 baht for exceeding the volume of liquid in carry-on baggage as specified in the regulations.

The move comes as the ICAO carried out inspections at Thai airports.

It was not reported whether there were specific incidents of the regulations being broken or if the authorities themselves were in fact culpable.

In a high profile case earlier in the week a well known lawyer complained at not being able to take what he wanted on board an aircraft bound for Chiang Rai.

Rumors abound that there is a racket at airports to sell confiscated items.

Source: https://www.thairath.co.th/content/1034854

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-8-11

2 minutes ago, observer90210 said:

Jail the chaps who make the security scans and sell the confiscated items...why harass the ignorant passengers?...Another marvelous way of applying the law and to potentially extort money from farang travellers! :WPFflags:

Jail, Seems to be the answer around here for everything, except if you kill someone and then just 500Bt

I wonder what the jail time is for >arting

12 minutes ago, observer90210 said:

Jail the chaps who make the security scans and sell the confiscated items...why harass the ignorant passengers?...Another marvelous way of applying the law and to potentially extort money from farang travellers! :WPFflags:

By now everyone should know the rules on liquids. 

1 hour ago, ratcatcher said:

"Rumors abound that there is a racket at airports to sell confiscated items."

And it would seem, by all accounts, that these rumors are well justified. 

Yes, given that they mysteriously appeared on eBay about 2 years ago. 

Edited by Prbkk
Add link

1 hour ago, wakeupplease said:

Jail, Seems to be the answer around here for everything, except if you kill someone and then just 500Bt

I wonder what the jail time is for >arting

yes, because homicide is always a big "misunderstanding" here...:cheesy:

1 hour ago, Bluespunk said:

What is supposed to happen to them?

I think they are supposed to be destroyed.

I used to some work for some Revenue Department officials here and I asked them what they wanted to do in the future. All of them said they wanted to be transferred to the custom's department. When I asked why, the replied "money".

They then asked me if i needed anything ... Tv, microwave, computer, whatever.  Go figure what happens to confiscated items.

9 hours ago, Thechook said:

They sell stuff at the duty free stores and then it is confiscated before you get on the plane, this is a well organised scam.  Learnt my lesson and never shop there again

I've tried to buy booze at duty free but when they see my Oz passport and ask where I am going they refuse to sell it to me. They know the rules. It's never got to the stage of being confiscated.

2 hours ago, Xaos said:

New opportunities to scam every passanger with bottle of water.

They target e cigs tourists too, 200k or back and ban.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

How do they scam a passenger with a bottle of water , pray tell. Normal people throw it in the bin provided before the security screening.

4 hours ago, tryasimight said:

I've tried to buy booze at duty free but when they see my Oz passport and ask where I am going they refuse to sell it to me. They know the rules. It's never got to the stage of being confiscated.

Only after many, many complaints ,some of them official, and thousands of bottles confiscated over a number of years. 

51 minutes ago, Prbkk said:

Only after many, many complaints ,some of them official, and thousands of bottles confiscated over a number of years. 

A number of years yes...since they introduced the 100ml rule. It's been at least five possibly six years since I last got knocked back.

Rumors abound that there is a racket at airports to sell confiscated items.

instead of printing rumours and speculation why doesn't the 'journalist' do some investigation and find some facts to support what they write? or is that too obvious or too much like hard work?

10 hours ago, 12DrinkMore said:

Are you making this up, or has there been a case?

I have a few friends who bring these on holiday.

When I read the rather vague headline my thoughts instantly went to e-cigarettes and liquid because the authorities do seem to be clamping down rather heavily.  Incredibly- to most sane people anyway- bringing an ecig in to Thailand is regarded as importing an illegal object.

How do they scam a passenger with a bottle of water , pray tell. Normal people throw it in the bin provided before the security screening.

Ppl who are careless and dont throw it away.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

12 hours ago, mommysboy said:

When I read the rather vague headline my thoughts instantly went to e-cigarettes and liquid because the authorities do seem to be clamping down rather heavily.  Incredibly- to most sane people anyway- bringing an ecig in to Thailand is regarded as importing an illegal object.

I know they are illegal, along with dildoes, hookahs and snuess.  Probably because they haven't got a law to tax the nicotine content. Dunno about dildoes, maybe they are scared that Thai women would prefer them to the real thing. Thai boys have apparently the smallest on the planet.

But I was questioning the 200k fine or ejection from Thailand with a ban. As the poster did not respond, I would guess it was a fake post.