Harpoon missiles to be equipped on high-performance frigate

webfact

Harpoon missiles to be equipped on high-performance frigate

By Thai PBS

harpoon1.jpg

BANGKOK: -- The Harpoon anti-ship missiles to be procured from the US will be equipped on the high-performance frigate HTMS Tachin now under construction in South Korea, the Royal Thai Navy’s spokesman’s office said in a statement.

The statement was in response to US Defense Security Cooperation Agency’s announcement on Aug 10 that the US State Department has made a determination approving the sale of five RGM-84L Harpoon Block II Surface Launched Missiles and one RTM-84L Harpoon Block II Exercise Missile at estimated cost of US$24.9 million (about 828 million baht).  

The RTN has set aside the 2016-2018 budget for the planned procurement of the Harpoon missiles, according to the RTN’s spokesman office.

Full story: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/harpoon-missiles-equipped-high-performance-frigate/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2017-08-14

Evidently the missile purchase was buried in the initial frigate purchase - still under construction/testing in South Korea - better hurry, and Prayut and Prawet were unaware of this fact. I wouldn't expect them to be aware but maybe better to get the answer before spouting off about it?

I guess the missile purchase had to be approved by the U.S> government.

http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/rtns-latest-stealth-frigate-launched-south-korea/

https://navaltoday.com/2017/08/11/thailand-cleared-to-buy-harpoon-missiles-for-its-dw3000-frigate/

Edited by mtls2005

4 hours ago, Father Fintan Stack said:

They have been exposed as liars on social media and have had to admit they have indeed bought the missiles. They are trying to obfuscate now and say it is a previously agreed contract, the PM's office wasn't involved etc. More face saving lies.

But, but, but... Thaksin.

Nothing up their sleeves.

And for their next misdirection....

1 hour ago, Lupatria said:

Great news! That will discourage all neighboring nations with ambitions to invade the socially and economically emerging kingdom. I already feel much safer now.

Love your sense of humour! :biggrin:

A high performance Frigate ? Thailand ? they are joking.  Lucky if any of them can steam continuously for 48 hours without returning to port for repairs.  Hope they maintain the missiles better than their vessels.

You will need a VPN to review the sources for this information.

I am feeling safer already. 

Just get a couple of rolls of alfoil, and use a dish to shape a helmet, then put it on your head, watch TV and drink the amber ale slowly or as quick as you want; towards the end of the night problem goes away. The radio active waves will never get it while the helmet stays in place. Repeat tomorrow night and again. 

I have decided to use the same thoughtful, rationale and intelligent attitude as the Thai Armed Forces.

18 hours ago, mtls2005 said:

Shhh...the last thing Prawit wants is the unwashed masses getting all worked up about excessive military spending.

the country's going down the drain at a rapid pace  , military spending out of control , a lot of kick backs for the elite jaunta illegal coup boys , no wonder have so many young thai poo ying hanging around with the non elected pm 

13 hours ago, fantom said:

Surely it is planned that the frigate will be equipped with Harpoon missiles and not the other way round.

I could not resist a little pedantry about the headline.

Agreed. Never can fathom out why English language news has so many grammatical errors? Someone from the Shan state in Myanmar who writes the copy? I also wonder about figures that are published from time to time, are they correct? :whistling: 

But I can ALWAYS believe that the news media does not let the truth get in the way of a good story. :thumbsup:  My apologies to 'investigative' journalists.  

3 hours ago, Dobredin Ghusputin said:

Meanwhile, in Bangkok last night -

DHMRJ_-VwAEtszn.jpg.40704392ad2f0697137e56434931d4fd.jpg

... and the relevance to maintaining sea lanes of communications is> You do realise what the main purpose of most countries militaries is don't you?