Unlimited Data Roaming Packages??

josephbloggs

HI all,

I currently use AIS (have been with them for over 10 years) and I travel a lot for work so am spending a lot of money buying data packages per country for each trip.  I am looking instead to have a monthly plan that includes unlimited data roaming wherever I am.  I have called AIS and they offer the following that works across 159 countries;

1,990 baht per month: 450 MB   

3,990 baht per month: 950 MB

4,990 baht per month: 1.2 GB

If I don't travel one month and don't use data abroad then they will waive the fee that month.

Ideally I would like an unlimited data package though.  Does anybody know if True or DTAC offer this and what the costs are?  I am not in Thailand at the moment so can't call them or visit a shop and don't see that information on their sites.  I have emailed but am not hopeful of a response.  Any first hand information greatly appreciated.

Many thanks.

Might want to take a look at AIS sim2fly, I use it whenever I travel abroad.  It's not unlimited but significantly cheaper than their roaming package.

http://www.ais.co.th/roaming/sim2fly/en/

The 899 THB is good for 15  days and gives you 4GB of 15 days in most European and Asian countries, Australia and the US.  Alternatively they also have the Asia/Australia plan for 399 THB for 8 days. The sim itself is valid for 90 days, and just need to top it off to keep it active. 

I travel a great deal to varied international locations and after a few years and a lot of money down the drain for data, finally turned data roaming off and now rely on local wifi.  I always make sure to book a hotel that supplies it free of charge and can usually find it somewhere during the day, like a coffee shop or shopping mall.

Unless you need constant data available during the workday, this works pretty well.

20 hours ago, arkom said:

Might want to take a look at AIS sim2fly, I use it whenever I travel abroad.  It's not unlimited but significantly cheaper than their roaming package.

http://www.ais.co.th/roaming/sim2fly/en/

The 899 THB is good for 15  days and gives you 4GB of 15 days in most European and Asian countries, Australia and the US.  Alternatively they also have the Asia/Australia plan for 399 THB for 8 days. The sim itself is valid for 90 days, and just need to top it off to keep it active. 

Hi Arkom,

Thanks for the link - I had never heard of that before.  Indeed it is much cheaper than their data roaming packages.  But it effectively gives you a new number so does it effect your WhatsApp account, Viber, Line etc?  

52 minutes ago, josephbloggs said:

Hi Arkom,

Thanks for the link - I had never heard of that before.  Indeed it is much cheaper than their data roaming packages.  But it effectively gives you a new number so does it effect your WhatsApp account, Viber, Line etc?  

I don't use WhatApp or Viber that much but I have been able to use it when I use the Sim.  As for Line my account is not linked to my AIS number so dont have any issues using it when use a new SIM card.

I think you will find it cheaper to get a new sim and data package

whenever you fly into a new country. There are vendors in the

airports just before you exit the terminal. Easy peasy lemon squeesy.

I have been with TRUE for the 2 years I have been here. I have unlimited internet (LAN & Wifi) at my place and for my US (AT&T) Locked iPhone i use a portable aircard and pay around ฿1700 month I think. I have also used it with my laptop, usually faster than free wifi but not as fast as I like especially when using VPN. I forgot to add that I have to notify customer care when traveling. I know I have roaming in Laos & I think Cambodia See the screenshot. 

IMG_0823.PNG

Edited by Grumpy Duck
Senility

1 hour ago, Ulic said:

I think you will find it cheaper to get a new sim and data package

whenever you fly into a new country. There are vendors in the

airports just before you exit the terminal. Easy peasy lemon squeesy.

Hi Ulic,

Yes, that would definitely be cheaper but I need to keep my Thai number active to receive calls.  I don't really want to have to start carrying two phones with me either.

Cheers.

For voice calls AIS does offer VoWiFi.  http://www.ais.co.th/4g/vowifi/en/ 

I don't think you'll find an unlimited data package from any provider?

The SIm2Fly is a good deal, but is pre-paid. 

A dual-SIM phone may address the application of keeping your AIS SIM in the 'lesser' slot for voice calls, and a local SIM for data, vs. using two phones.

Or maybe run a SIM2Fly in one SIM slot, and your AIS SIM in the other. Then purchase a plan on one or both to cover a specific trip?

Once you get back maybe contact TrueMove H and/or DTAC to see if they have offers; I couldn't find any but suspect they have these on-hand for corp. customers.

On 8/16/2017 at 3:27 PM, Grumpy Duck said:

I have been with TRUE for the 2 years I have been here. I have unlimited internet (LAN & Wifi) at my place and for my US (AT&T) Locked iPhone i use a portable aircard and pay around ฿1700 month I think. I have also used it with my laptop, usually faster than free wifi but not as fast as I like especially when using VPN. I forgot to add that I have to notify customer care when traveling. I know I have roaming in Laos & I think Cambodia See the screenshot. 

IMG_0823.PNG

Just wondering if there is a reason you don't unlock your phone.

1 hour ago, elgenon said:

Just wondering if there is a reason you don't unlock your phone.

Yes there is, but I don't want to explain in a public forum

but one major reason is I don't wish to risk bricking the device. 

• 3 months later...
On 15/08/2017 at 9:57 AM, josephbloggs said:

I currently use AIS (have been with them for over 10 years) and I travel a lot for work so am spending a lot of money buying data packages per country for each trip.  I am looking instead to have a monthly plan that includes unlimited data roaming wherever I am.  I have called AIS and they offer the following that works across 159 countries;

1,990 baht per month: 450 MB   

3,990 baht per month: 950 MB

4,990 baht per month: 1.2 GB

If I don't travel one month and don't use data abroad then they will waive the fee that month.

Ideally I would like an unlimited data package though.  Does anybody know if True or DTAC offer this and what the costs are?  I am not in Thailand at the moment so can't call them or visit a shop and don't see that information on their sites.  I have emailed but am not hopeful of a response.  Any first hand information greatly appreciated.

Just thought I should update this.  I ended up sticking with AIS and now pay 3,990 baht per month for 950MB of data roaming.  They were really helpful and calculated my historical average of data usage overseas and deemed that package to be sufficient, which so far it has been.  They have an app that keeps track of your overseas data usage and you can see exactly how much you've got left.

Not the cheapest, but very convenient.