Chonburi school director - whacking students is necessary and has been agreed

webfact

14 hours ago, gummy said:

Absolutely.  Beat the students to within an inch of their lives.  will it help them for the future - No.

Will it ensure they study harder - Well No

Will it increase their educational standard - Definitely not

so why do it - Because this is Thailand LOS ( Land of the Stupid). and this report identifies exactly what is wrong with the country.

Unless they want to be SPARTANS!

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think a complaint and subsequent court case would ensure this particular educated egotistical so-called educator would never enter a school again, if not then a sound drub bing would make him a wheelchair   inhabintant.

In the Thai communities that I have resided in, that "teacher" would've been strung up.

Some particular circles, and individuals, have been conditioned not to question or challenge the make believe figure of authority.

Much of what is wrong throughout the world is that people are not punished sufficiently when they misbehave. Thailand is a prime example of that: anything goes, do a couple of wais and all is forgiven. The seeds for this start in school and most children in Thailand and elsewhere are in dire need of having some idea of how to behave knocked into them.

So yes, beat the little buggers when they misbehave or dont follow the rules. Beat them until they learn, because they certainly wont learn any other way. Beat the parents who dont teach their kids any manners, or consideration or sense of responsibility also. Better still, dont allow such lax, selfish and stupid people to become parents in the first place.

Any parent who doesnt like that can just keep his ill-behaved offspring locked up at home and well away from other people, where they mostly belong. The saying was always that children should be seen but not heard and that would be good to apply today. Though personally I can do without seeing them also.

I think the biggest problem is that the teachers don't know how to handle the kids here.  You see it a lot, when one student is being difficult, they'll often just get sent outside so the teacher doesn't have to deal with them.  Of course it doesn't help that a lot of teachers have such a boring style of teaching as well.

Some days the students want to mess around or be lazy, these are the days when you have to take a more inventive approach to learning.  Play games to get them running around, take the class outside and teach them while you're walking around, do more group activities, more hands on stuff..  

It's a difficult problem because while they have to learn that there are consequences for their actions, at the same time they're just kids and they're still learning how to refocus their attention when they get distracted.  And that's coupled with the fact that most of them don't see the point of education and the opportunities it will provide them later on.

I'm by no means a great teacher but I haven't ever had to resort to hitting them.  I should also mention that my parents belted me often when I was playing up and I don't think that did me any harm, it's just not my style to do that with the students.

The education system here is changing very slowly but I'm optimistic about the future. 

17 hours ago, gummy said:

Absolutely.  Beat the students to within an inch of their lives.  will it help them for the future - No.

Will it ensure they study harder - Well No

Will it increase their educational standard - Definitely not

so why do it - Because this is Thailand LOS ( Land of the Stupid). and this report identifies exactly what is wrong with the country.

and doesnt appear to be correctable

16 hours ago, worgeordie said:

It was quite a common occurance for me at school  to receive the "stick",usually

a bamboo stick across the finger tips,or @rse,mostly for fighting ,did I deserve it,

most likely,I think some of the teachers took pleasure in it too,it did not turn me

into a serial killer,crime boss or rapist,it was just part of school life at the time,

on the final day of school,a few of us were waiting at the gate to give payback

to some of the especially vicious teachers.

regards Worgeordie

And thus violence begets violence..you cant run with the foxes and hunt with the hounds.

If you take a stick and beat up a dog attacking you that's a crime

Assaulting children nobody cares and it's kind of accepted as a way to make children better: nobody has an idea what it means to children!

This society is a rotten and sick society meanwhile!!!!!!!!!!!!!

18 hours ago, Just1Voice said:

Hit my kid and see what happens.  I might end up in jail, but I guarantee the teacher would end up in the hospital. 

And you could likely end up being deported and your children would end up without a. parent.  As much as we might like to think about it, hitting a teacher that hits children does not send a message to anyone that violence is never appropriate.  Thank heavens I don't have kids at school here, for a number off reasons.

Edited by The Deerhunter

Hypothetically I wonder what would happen if a student defended themselves against 'discipline' being dished out by a teacher?

Ie scratched his eyes out or kicked him in the nether regions.

I know my kids were taught basic defense against attack, and I personally wouldn't condone defense against an illegal act by teachers.

7 hours ago, phantomfiddler said:

Spare the rod and spoil the child ? I do believe there is a case for corporal punishment for certain behaviour, as does Singapore. Children of parents who decry any form of reprimand for their actions almost invariably end up as complete a*s*h*l*s.

It is very easy punish and manage inappropriate behaviour without resorting to physically assaulting a child. 

1 hour ago, KittenKong said:

Much of what is wrong throughout the world is that people are not punished sufficiently when they misbehave. Thailand is a prime example of that: anything goes, do a couple of wais and all is forgiven. The seeds for this start in school and most children in Thailand and elsewhere are in dire need of having some idea of how to behave knocked into them.

So yes, beat the little buggers when they misbehave or dont follow the rules. Beat them until they learn, because they certainly wont learn any other way. Beat the parents who dont teach their kids any manners, or consideration or sense of responsibility also. Better still, dont allow such lax, selfish and stupid people to become parents in the first place.

Any parent who doesnt like that can just keep his ill-behaved offspring locked up at home and well away from other people, where they mostly belong. The saying was always that children should be seen but not heard and that would be good to apply today. Though personally I can do without seeing them also.

There is absolutely no need to beat children to control a classroom. 

Anyone resorting to physical violence and asssult to do so has failed as a teacher and should find a new career. 

Unless, of course, all you said above was sarcasm...

Edited by Bluespunk

17 hours ago, worgeordie said:

it did not turn me

into a serial killer,crime boss or rapist,it was just part of school life at the time,

Well, it did initiated a behavior that you wouldn't have acted on if you weren't SMACKED... so please. 

17 hours ago, worgeordie said:

It was quite a common occurance for me at school  to receive the "stick",usually

a bamboo stick across the finger tips,or @rse,mostly for fighting ,did I deserve it,

most likely,I think some of the teachers took pleasure in it too,it did not turn me

regards Worgeordie

Yes, was my era too. However, I have to say that the main deterrent was that if the 'stick' or 'cane' had to be used it would also be recorded on the student's record and this would accompany any final documents given by the school upon leaving. In addition the 'stick' was not given in class but given in some morning assembly where offenders would be given up to a maximum of 5 strokes across the palm. I never witnessed a maximum but I understood any pupil receiving it would involve parents meeting with 'social workers' afterward.

My secondary education ended in 1973 and I got 'the belt' only maybe 6 or 7 times in all of my otherwise rather excellent Scottish education. Each time was well-earned and the intervals between events grew longer as I eventually learned the lesson. For sure we all knew the teachers who relished meting out such punishment; and accordingly we tended to be much better behaved in their classrooms... except Torquil Glennie but he was so bad, he ended up in borstal anyway. There was the short-assed Miss Young who would need to stand on a foot-stool when administering punishment to get more leverage... and if you giggled at that vision, it was your turn next. The dry-humored Mr Christie who was rumored to have the hardest belt in all academia; it was indeed a hard lad that didn't get a bit teary after only one of his swipes. Then the headmaster Mr Henderson who, as only a few found out, was absolutely appalling when it came to simply aiming for your hands. It was well know to make sure you had your thumbs tucked right in there or risk a really, REALLY painful rap on just the thumb! Locker room discussion included debating if the hard, new belt of the new maths teacher was as 'sappy' as the well-worn one of the head of the French department. We even conspired (and succeeded) is stealing the new maths teachers belt but the always questionable rewards were short-lived.

...and iPhones and FB hadn't been invented yet.

And discipline at home was probably much, much better.

Edited by NanLaew

1 hour ago, chrisinth said:

Hypothetically I wonder what would happen if a student defended themselves against 'discipline' being dished out by a teacher?

Ie scratched his eyes out or kicked him in the nether regions.

I know my kids were taught basic defense against attack, and I personally wouldn't condone defense against an illegal act by teachers.

Torquil Glennie did it!

Ended up in borstal.

11 hours ago, saminoz said:

I remember reading today that three Vietnamese"British" men received far less strokes in Singapore for the forceful rape of a young woman!

You have absolutely no idea of what caning in Singapore actually entails.

5 hours ago, Khun Paul said:

I think a complaint and subsequent court case would ensure this particular educated egotistical so-called educator would never enter a school again, if not then a sound drub bing would make him a wheelchair   inhabintant.

These stories usually open with...

"Once upon a time in a land, far, far away...."

Edited by NanLaew

28 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

You have absolutely no idea of what caning in Singapore actually entails.

Stop pontificating.

You had no grounds for that incorrect statement.

I did most of my secondary education in Singapore and never been back many, many times since.

I am well aware of the severity of the punishment.  This was judicial caning which uses a heavier cane than the familiar ones used in schools.  It is never used on females!  It is always an addition to the sentence but, unlike this event, Singapore caning are highly regulated, take place out of sight of inmates and the public and are medically monitored.

Have you ever been there?  Just wondering.

I was merely trying to compare the number of strokes to the seriousness of the "offence".  I was on topic.

You, on the other hand, seemed only to be trying to "score points" off another poster.

Given the number, content and volume of your posts in quick succession on this topic, perhaps the subject strikes (excuse the pun) home a little more for you?

Edited by saminoz
Added a little more content for the uneducated

I agree with Just1voice.  If a teacher ever hit one of my children, they would DEFINITELY end up in the hospital.  If the teacher has a problem with a child, they should contact the parents and work it out, with the parents taking the responsibility of discipline.

2 hours ago, akirasan said:

I think the biggest problem is that the teachers don't know how to handle the kids here.  You see it a lot, when one student is being difficult, they'll often just get sent outside so the teacher doesn't have to deal with them.  Of course it doesn't help that a lot of teachers have such a boring style of teaching as well.

Some days the students want to mess around or be lazy, these are the days when you have to take a more inventive approach to learning.  Play games to get them running around, take the class outside and teach them while you're walking around, do more group activities, more hands on stuff..  

It's a difficult problem because while they have to learn that there are consequences for their actions, at the same time they're just kids and they're still learning how to refocus their attention when they get distracted.  And that's coupled with the fact that most of them don't see the point of education and the opportunities it will provide them later on.

I'm by no means a great teacher but I haven't ever had to resort to hitting them.  I should also mention that my parents belted me often when I was playing up and I don't think that did me any harm, it's just not my style to do that with the students.

The education system here is changing very slowly but I'm optimistic about the future. 

well said.