10-Year Visas Now Available: Thai Immigration

webfact

13 hours ago, janpharma said:

Was this invented by a "lady-bar"? :partytime2:

Maybe because the ladybars don't have a bright future...even in Pattaya they are on the wanted list.

So better sell 10 year visa's to the farang before closing all the ladybars..:shock1:

• Replies 304
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

8 hours ago, aussienam said:

I suppose people will vote with their wallets.  Let's wait and see how many apply.  

Like anything there will be some like you who see merit and others like me who do not!  If I was a wealthy frequent traveller with loads of disposable income with Thailand as my base then I might consider it. 

If you think spending 100,000 Baht per year for convenience and less hassle then kudos to you! But for the masses like me I say no! Good luck with it.

It's 100k / month, and you don't have to spend it, you don't even have to bring it here  just prove the income as I understand it, with an embassy declaration / certificate.

It's just another option, as you say for those that can show the income. It doesn't mean it's BS, as many on here have alluded, just because it doesn't fit their profile.

I agree the details are somewhat scant, and will need more information before considering it seriously. But anything that reduces the Immigration hustle for 5 years (4 visits) has got to be worth considering.

Edited by Tofer
Correction

8 hours ago, Dogmatix said:

This is it.  Nowhere does it say that those married to Thais and/or parents of Thais are ineligible for this visa.  If you are retired, you can apply whether you have  a Thai family or not.  It is non-discriminatory.  What's not to like about it?

Believe it or not, there are quite a few people out here that are married/parents under the age of 50 !! Where's the stability in life for those folk ? Nowhere... Live year to year with no guarantees of being able to renew...

It's ridiculous.....

21 minutes ago, Tofer said:

It's 100k / month, and you don't have to spend it, you don't even have to bring it here  just prove the income as I understand it, with an embassy declaration / certificate.

It's just another option, as you say for those that can show the income. It doesn't mean it's BS, as many on here have alluded, just because it doesn't fit their profile.

I agree the details are somewhat scant, and will need more information before considering it seriously. But anything that reduces the Immigration hustle for 5 years (4 visits) has got to be worth considering.

It's an option I too will consider; I am going to pick up details at the Jomtien office today.
I don't understand the fuss this created. The 'financially challenged' shouldn't worry as there is no indication whatsoever the new 10 year visa is going to replace existing long-stay options. If its affordable go for it if not stick to status quo - easy (it seems most of these posters can read but don't comprehend, oh well).

15 minutes ago, cornishcarlos said:

Believe it or not, there are quite a few people out here that are married/parents under the age of 50 !! Where's the stability in life for those folk ? Nowhere... Live year to year with no guarantees of being able to renew...

It's ridiculous.....

You knew all this before deciding settling here. If you adhere to the Thai laws and regulation than your 'stability' is similar to that in your home country.

There is mostly only one thing Thailand needs to do (urgently) if they want improve the tourist business is to have a "90 day on arrival tourist visa"  the same as most countries in Asia have.  You arrive without notice put your passport on the spot, place your thumb on another spot, look at the camera, in one minute your on your way with a 90 day visa.

Presently Thailand has only a 60 day +30 day extension tourist visa and it's a dogs dinner.  You have get it in your home country with a whole lot of complicated conditions which can mostly take a week and the 30 day extension in Thailand can takle all day if you a first time applicant...shame!!!!

How to get a 90 tourist visa for Thailand....

This post and my previous posts are to bring attention to the inconsistencies for people seeking 60 day +30 day Thai Tourist Visas....like sending application forms, to the Thai Consul in Perth Australia, including your passport, extra passport photos less then 6 months old, photocopies of your personal information page of your pass port, being precise about you arrival date in Thailand and departure date (E-ticket copy required) a confirmed printout of a hotel booking, a current copy (no more then 3 days old) of a bank statement showing you have Aus $800 in an account (Aus $8,000 for a multi entry tourist visa). All his mostly takes a week and in my case when they changed some rules  a few times back it took 18 days (they had my passport for 18 days).  If you want to extend your visa in Thailand for the additional 30 days you will spend the best part of the day doing this all over again at a  immigration office.  Oh! I forgot  $45 application fee in Aus, Bt 1900 + a day stuffing around for the 30 day extension in Thailand.  In Malaysia and many other countries  this whole procedure takes about  one (1) minute only and it's free, you just arrive and it all happens. 

The amusing part about all this is when your Tourist visa is granted it states that you can arrive on any day you like during the next 90 days. The arrival date is optional so the E-ticket and hotel booking is irrelevant but Australian Consuls will not issue the visa unless you are precise about you arrival date.  Thousand of inexperience tourists apply for these everyday with never ending confusion......When will they ever learn, when will they ever learn...TIT

Edited by David Walden

16 minutes ago, David Walden said:

There is mostly only one thing Thailand needs to do (urgently) if they want improve the tourist business ...

Based on publicly available data I wonder if the Thai authorities /really/ need or want to change their existing procedures.

18 hours ago, globin said:

I like the picture of the silver haired couple on the spotless and deserted beach...I want a visa for that place, where is it? inside the hollow moon!

I don't think it's Pattaya ,  there are no jet ski's  .... 

Edited by steven100

The questions that need to be clarified are:

1.  Once the Visa is issued is the Visa a Non O with a valid expiration date 5 years from the issue date and is it multiple entry.

2.   Is the income level 100K Baht per month and how does one prove it. Statutory Dec from Embassy?

3.   Can an applicant combine income and funds in the bank to reach the requirement level.

4.   Will the extension of stay stamped in the passport be 5 years or on a one year basis and if on a one year basis will the requirements be re-checked by Immigration each year.

5.   Does the Insurance requirement have to be met by insurance from a Thai Company or will foreign insurance be accepted.

6.  If the exchange rate changes and one cannot meet the 100K level or the other financials in the 2nd or 3rd year can the applicant still apply for the normal retirement extension or marriage extension or are they locked into the 10 year Visa and its requirements forever.

IMHO without these answers  a person cannot make an informed decision.

Edited by Thaidream

So this 10 yr visa (that is seems no immigration staff know about) comes in two 5 yr installments !! So it's a 5 yr renewable visa then ?

Where's the 5 yr visa for married or parents ? 

In retrospect should it not be available to us say 1.5 Million baht on deposit! :-) :-)

Sent from my HUAWEI LUA-L21 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

2 hours ago, SouthernDelight said:

You knew all this before deciding settling here. If you adhere to the Thai laws and regulation than your 'stability' is similar to that in your home country.

How is my stability here similar to that in my home country ? Not even close !! I adhere to all their rules but I'm still subject to the whims of immigration officers, politicians, coups etc...

Why are basic human rights for family units not implemented in this country, that is what I get annoyed about....

19 hours ago, Suradit69 said:

Since it's stated clearly that it's for 5 years and renewable, how is that a scam? Advertising hype is hardly solely an invention of Thais and in this case it might be hyperbolic, but hardly deceptive to anyone who can read a few sentences without being overwhelmed.

they should BAN these damn  user  gif  icons,  pita

13 minutes ago, cornishcarlos said:

How is my stability here similar to that in my home country ? Not even close !! I adhere to all their rules but I'm still subject to the whims of immigration officers, politicians, coups etc...

Why are basic human rights for family units not implemented in this country, that is what I get annoyed about....

The state of our personal situation and emotions is tragic but hope your negative stimulus will subside eventually.

1 hour ago, SouthernDelight said:

The state of our personal situation and emotions is tragic but hope your negative stimulus will subside eventually.

So because I would like stability in my life, I'm negative !! 

If things stayed the same forever then there would be no progress in the world... Accept your place in life or try to make a change, your choice...

6 minutes ago, cornishcarlos said:

Not heard of multi cultural then ? Its all the rage these days...

Thailand is very multicultural and these restriction in law only effect those who choose to remain on visas rather than applying for citizenship, it really should not come as a surprise to someone choosing to remain a non immigrant that they do not have the same right as an immigrant who seeks permanent residency and citizenship.

11 minutes ago, Kieran00001 said:

Thailand is very multicultural and these restriction in law only effect those who choose to remain on visas rather than applying for citizenship, it really should not come as a surprise to someone choosing to remain a non immigrant that they do not have the same right as an immigrant who seeks permanent residency and citizenship.

I don't want the same rights as a citizen, just fair treatment as a Non immigrant with a family here. Not worried about buying land in my name or working in a job that a Thai can do, just the knowledge that I'm able to stay with and provide for my family long term. Basic human rights :)

3 minutes ago, cornishcarlos said:

I don't want the same rights as a citizen, just fair treatment as a Non immigrant with a family here. Not worried about buying land in my name or working in a job that a Thai can do, just the knowledge that I'm able to stay with and provide for my family long term. Basic human rights :)

Thailand is unusual in allowing us to stay long term without seeking permanent residency or citizenship, in the UK the longest a non EU citizen can stay without doing so is 6 months.  It is not a basic human right to be allowed to stay permanently in a country as a non immigrant.

While I am sure the concept of 'saving face' elicited the response that the Thais gave- I accept the fact that this is a concept that has been inbred into the Thai psyche for centuries and no foreigner can ever expect that they can change it.  While at times I find it irritating, I have learned to live with it otherwise I would be angry constantly.  I have tried to explain it to my own Thai family in such a way that my explanation is not condescending but it is hopeless.

11 minutes ago, cornishcarlos said:

I'm not reading any more of your comments... Now where is that ignore function ?

That's fine. I'm sure that proclaiming "I'm going to ignore you" had you thinking that had some emotional traumatic effect upon me.  That is a child's expectation. If you're going to ignore someone, just do it. Don't announce it. Rather than disturb me with an inane and petulant insult that I am going to get ignored, it instead reflects poorly on the childish mindset of yourselves.

22 hours ago, Luckysilk said:

Thanks but no thanks, noooooo way in hell am I putting 3M in Thai baht in this country when I'm treated like crap.

Where do you come from?

Do they give visa for 5 years to retired foreigners? 

So many negative views here.

Thailand welcomes guests on many different kinds of visas.

It's SOOO easy to get a yearly visa in Thailand, no need to even go to Immigration, or to do the 90 day reporting if you are not just off the boat.

Anyone married and working can get Citizenship quite simply, like myself. 3 years working that's all.

Easier for me to get citizenship here than other countries like Australia or the USA etc.

Any retirees that come here and marry someone expecting full rights needs to check their own countries laws on this kinda thing.

3 hours ago, cornishcarlos said:

Not heard of multi cultural then ? Its all the rage these days...

Canada comes to mind. Incredibly multi-cultural. Parts of Europe too. Oh yes, almost forgot Australia, Singapore, and the USA.