webfact

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

44 minutes ago, jobsworth said:

i find the burqa very sexy. i would like to wear one. then the facial recognition cameras would not work.

There is something to be said for some of that garb, male and female...covers a multitude of sins. Awkward when you need to pee though ( and probably explains why Saudi shopping mall toilets have about 15 cubicles for every urinal.

1 hour ago, andersonat said:

"If a person who wears a balaclava or a helmet in to a bank or any other building, or even on the floor of the court, they must be removed. Why is it not the same case for someone who is covering up their face and cannot be identified ?"

I invite someone to explain to me the difference between a [face-covering] balaclava, a [face-covering] helmet, and a Niqab/Burka, from a security-standpoint.

Is wearing balaclava or full face crash helmet in public illegal in Australia?

In the UK, burka wearers must remove it for the purposes of official identification, e.g. at passport control, in court, even when taking a driving test. Is it not the same in Australia?

In the UK it is up to private institutions, such as banks, what security arrangements they wish to impose upon people entering their premises. Is it not the same in Australia.

Of course, as thequietman explains above, there is no compulsion in Islam for women to wear a burka.

In the UK, some Muslim women do wear a burka, some wear a hijab, but most wear 'western' clothing during their day to day lives. Is it not the same in Australia?

Of course, proper research will show that wearing a burka is not confined solely to Muslim women. Others wear it as well, particularly in ultra orthodox Judaism.

Which demonstrates it's origins are based more in Middle Eastern culture than Islam.

Voltaire's, 'I disapprove of what you say, but will defend to the death your right to say it' has, I believe, some bearing here in that the notion of free speech is being eroded by political correctness.

Muslims are not a race or merely disciples of a religion but IMV and that of, I believe, millions of infidels, (non-believers) disciples of a religious/political believe system held together by religious indoctrination, the subjugation of females and the fear of punishment for apostasy - apart from that, It's alright!  

IMV if religious freedom is to be maintained it can only be personal religious freedom under the rule of secular law otherwise there is a danger of the religious law of one particular religion ruling over not only secular law but other religious law so religious freedom per se cannot be democratic.

23 minutes ago, Thechook said:

Racist?????  Since when has islam been a race, it's no more a race than the Church of England, Buddhism or being a Jehovah Witness.  Australia is also a free country and people can wear what they like and if Pauline wanted to wear the burka to work she is free to do so.  I thought it complimented her.

Hanson has been railing against Muslims for a while. Many think her an Islamophobe. Her pulling a stunt like this is a bit like a known Nazi walking into Government chambers dressed as a Jew. It is offensive and the only purpose it serves is raise her profile among other islamophobe. It stokes her base, but sets back the argument that burqas in public are undesirable for a variety of legitimate reasons. They are now highly unlikely to be banned, which is perfect for her as she can now continue to stir the pot for her own political ends.

4 minutes ago, 7by7 said:

In the UK, burka wearers must remove it for the purposes of official identification, e.g. at passport control, in court, even when taking a driving test. Is it not the same in Australia?

In the UK it is up to private institutions, such as banks, what security arrangements they wish to impose upon people entering their premises. Is it not the same in Australia.

Of course, as thequietman explains above, there is no compulsion in Islam for women to wear a burka.

In the UK, some Muslim women do wear a burka, some wear a hijab, but most wear 'western' clothing during their day to day lives. Is it not the same in Australia?

Of course, proper research will show that wearing a burka is not confined solely to Muslim women. Others wear it as well, particularly in ultra orthodox Judaism.

Which demonstrates it's origins are based more in Middle Eastern culture than Islam.

I am not arguing with you - and I will not argue with you. But please allow me to retort:

It is called a Burqa. The one with the 'eye slit' is called the Niqab. 

It is not up to the Muslim woman if she wears the Burqa in public, it is up to her Husband/Imam. She can put her case to their Imam, but she must obey if directed to wear one. In Aust the vast majority of Muslim Husbands and Imams are flexible and allow the wearing of the Hijab (showing the face).

It is legal for Aust banks/petrol stations etc  to ban people wearing helmets and balaclavas.

It is not legal for them to ban anyone wearing a Burqa - that is specifically illegal because it discriminates based on religion and in Australia that has been made illegal for many years.

The issue is about Aust - not the UK.

Clearly you dont know much about the subject matter, nor the location of the issue.

2 hours ago, gamini said:

This ex fish and chip monger,  who is totally ignorant and of very low inteligance is a hateful racist. The fact that she is supported by  quite a large number of Australians is really is sad.  And it seems that some people on this forum support her too. Fortunately most Australians despise her.

But perhaps she knows how to spell "intelligence" ! and any sensible person must be aware that this is a ridiculous form of garb to be worn in a modern world ! Good on ya, Pauline !

13 minutes ago, ilostmypassword said:

Up to your old tricks of posting false information. Neither of these license are genuine

http://theleftchapter.blogspot.com/2015/09/stop-sharing-false-and-racist-ontario.html

And if you look at images of a genuine nj driver's license, you'll see that they don't look anything like this alleged license.

Just shows how bigotry makes people gullible.

It's called “motivated reasoning” — seeking out only the information that supports what one already believes, facts be damned.

27 minutes ago, ELVIS123456 said:

I am not arguing with you - and I will not argue with you. But please allow me to retort:

It is called a Burqa. The one with the 'eye slit' is called the Niqab. 

It is not up to the Muslim woman if she wears the Burqa in public, it is up to her Husband/Imam. She can put her case to their Imam, but she must obey if directed to wear one. In Aust the vast majority of Muslim Husbands and Imams are flexible and allow the wearing of the Hijab (showing the face).

It is legal for Aust banks/petrol stations etc  to ban people wearing helmets and balaclavas.

It is not legal for them to ban anyone wearing a Burqa - that is specifically illegal because it discriminates based on religion and in Australia that has been made illegal for many years.

The issue is about Aust - not the UK.

Clearly you dont know much about the subject matter, nor the location of the issue.

I apologise that my spelling of burka differs from yours and that in the OP! I notice that you have not pulled others up on their spelling; could it be because they share your views?

I know this is about Australia (not some place called Aust; I can be petty over spelling, too); which is why I asked if it was not the same in Australia!

If you say that in Australia banks, for example, cannot ask a woman with her face covered to uncover for identification purposes, I will take your word for it; but some evidence would be nice.

Your assertion that a Muslim women must wear a burqa in public unless she first gains permission from her husband and/or Imam not to is completely and utterly incorrect. Clearly you know very little about this!

Explainer: Why do Muslim women wear a burka, niqab or hijab? (From ABC Canberra, don't forget to write to them about their spelling!)

Are some Muslim women forced to wear a burka or niqab?

In Australia Dr Ismail said that the reasons women wear veils of all kinds vary widely and take in influences from culture, fashion as well as religion.

"Some women wear it because they strongly believe it is their religious obligation," she said.

Dr Ismail does concede that some women may be pressured into covering themselves.

"There is a possibility that some husbands would tell their wives 'please wear the niqab, I don't want any other men to see you' which is possessive," she said.

"When it comes to that, the problem is not the niqab, it is being married to someone who is possessive and oppressive."

Edited by 7by7

37 minutes ago, Thakkar said:

Hanson has been railing against Muslims for a while. Many think her an Islamophobe. Her pulling a stunt like this is a bit like a known Nazi walking into Government chambers dressed as a Jew. It is offensive and the only purpose it serves is raise her profile among other islamophobe. It stokes her base, but sets back the argument that burqas in public are undesirable for a variety of legitimate reasons. They are now highly unlikely to be banned, which is perfect for her as she can now continue to stir the pot for her own political ends.

She rails because it gets her elected. Under the Australian system she needs around 5-6 % of the vote in her state to win a senate seat; easy, there are at least that many xenophobes for whom this kind of theatre of hate is grist to the mill. She's no fool, despite what seems to be compelling evidence to the contrary.

2 hours ago, gamini said:

sad to see hateful racists on this forum.

2 hours ago, Pdaz said:

Sad to see such ignorance on this forum.. Islam isn't a race it's a religion. 

Judaism is a religion, not a race; yet Anti Semitics are, rightly, labelled racist. Islamaphobes deserve that label, too.

Muslims Aren’t A Race, So I Can’t Be Racist, Right? Wrong.

Posts removed along with replies.   One member is on suspension.   Here is a rule to pay attention to:

2) You will not use ThaiVisa.com to post any material which is knowingly or can be reasonably construed as false, inaccurate, invasive of a person's privacy, or otherwise in violation of any law.

Edit:  Further post removed.   Stop trolling and stay on topic.  

1 hour ago, 7by7 said:

I once had a Mr Angry moment at KL. I insisted the posse of women with a single male owner show their faces. If not, I was not taking my C class seat.

To my satisfaction, they were taken aside and checked out. I can still recall the sound of the rubber gloves smacking into position.

The bearded wonder who owned them was as mad as wet hen!

6 minutes ago, Grouse said:

I once had a Mr Angry moment at KL. I insisted the posse of women with a single male owner show their faces. If not, I was not taking my C class seat.

To my satisfaction, they were taken aside and checked out. I can still recall the sound of the rubber gloves smacking into position.

The bearded wonder who owned them was as mad as wet hen!

It used to be all too common in many airports....the rope lines would open for the well connected male and the trailing harem....no security checks, not even x-ray. Not so common these days.

2 hours ago, jobsworth said:

the prophet mohamed was a beautiful man. jesus christ was a beautiful man.

However what they said and did has been lost to us.

Instead we have a turkish interpretation which is very different.

Did the prophet even exist? Seems more likely he came from folklore. We have contemporary inscriptions attesting the existence of Caliph Umar from within ten years of Muhammad’s purported death, and Umar was reputedly a “close companion” of Muhammad and major player in governing the new Muslim state; and we have inscriptions attesting other players as well; but so far, never Muhammad.

I find it difficult to understand why people indicate that the Burqa is  religious garment.  It is not, it is, if anything, a cultural garment that subjugates the women who wear it.  So, are those who are criticizing Hanson OK with the subjugation of women. Sounds like it.  it is also interesting to see who the misogynists are, and boy are there some on here. :wai:

Having read every post so far, one thing is clear at least to me. This subject is very dividing in views.

I remember an era in Australia, when the only Muslims were of Malay descent. None wore any

head covering. But Catholic nuns did. Since then Australia has invited peoples of many nations to make

a future here. And others have decided to live here even though uninvited.

The uninvited ones have stopped to a trickle, thanks to strict compliance laws.

The thing is, many cultures wear some form of head dress, including some for religious reasons.

Each to his own.

But, it should be by individual choice imo.

Also, it should not impede normal security screening by facial recognition. It is not racist for anyone

to view a persons face for security facial recognition reasons.

1 hour ago, taffeylad said:

Pauline Hansen is right. The burka should be banned as helmets and balaclavas.

it is only the men who want their women to wear the burka it is outdated and should be banned in non Muslim countries.

Pauline Hansen is of the extreme right, but she is nearly always wrong.  If you ban the burqa, do you also ban judges wigs, hoodies and nuns formal head wear and so on.  I doubt the wearing of head dress is outdated, scarves seem to be making a fashion comeback.

In that Australia is arguably the most multi ethnic country in the world, in that it is mostly harmonious, in that multi ethnicity has improved the economy and especially the food habits from the former British stodge, Australia has developed rapidly since WW11 when people eager to make a new life chose Australia. The fact that now, some seem to wear oppressive head wear does not bother me . Each to his own, Aust is a free country and people are free to wear what ever  hairstyle, head gear and rings in noses and ears that they want. Australia is not a fascist country although some seek to change that.