Fellow Republicans assail Trump after he defends Confederate monuments

webfact

Fellow Republicans assail Trump after he defends Confederate monuments

By Steve Holland and Susan Heavey

tag-reuters.jpg

U.S. President Donald Trump speaks about the violence, injuries and deaths at the "Unite the Right" rally in Charlottesville as he talks to the media in the lobby of Trump Tower in Manhattan, New York, U.S., August 15, 2017. REUTERS/Kevin Lamarque

BRIDGEWATER, N.J./WASHINGTON (Reuters) - President Donald Trump on Thursday decried the removal of monuments to the pro-slavery Civil War Confederacy, echoing white nationalists and drawing stinging rebukes from fellow Republicans in a controversy that has inflamed racial tensions.

Trump has alienated Republicans, corporate leaders and U.S. allies, rattled markets and prompted speculation about possible White House resignations with his comments since Saturday's violence in Charlottesville, Virginia, in the aftermath of a white nationalist protest against the removal of a Confederate statue.

Republican Senator Bob Corker, chairman of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee, questioned Trump's capacity to govern.

"The president has not yet been able to demonstrate the ability or the competence that he needs to be successful," said Corker, who Trump had considered for the job of secretary of state. Corker said Trump needed to make "radical changes."

In a series of Twitter posts on Thursday, Trump unleashed attacks on two Republican U.S. senators, Jeff Flake and Lindsey Graham, raising fresh doubts about his ability to work with lawmakers in his own party to win passage of his legislative agenda including tax cuts and infrastructure spending.

Trump took aim at the removal or consideration for removal of Confederate statues and monuments in a long list of cities in California, Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maryland, New York, North Carolina, Massachusetts, Missouri, Montana, Tennessee, Virginia and Texas, as well as Washington, D.C.

"Sad to see the history and culture of our great country being ripped apart with the removal of our beautiful statues and monuments. You can't change history, but you can learn from it," Trump wrote on Twitter, refusing to move past the controversy.

"Robert E Lee, Stonewall Jackson - who's next, Washington, Jefferson? So foolish!" Trump added. He was referring to two Confederate generals in the Civil War that ended in 1865, and to early U.S. presidents George Washington and Thomas Jefferson, who owned slaves but whose legacies are overwhelmingly honoured.

Opponents call the statues a festering symbol of racism, while supporters say they honour American history. Some of the monuments have become rallying points for white nationalists but also have the support of some people interested in historical preservation.

Trump also denied he had spoken of "moral equivalency" between white supremacists, neo-Nazis and the Ku Klux Klan, and the anti-racism activists who clashed in Charlottesville.

COHN RUMOURS

U.S. stocks suffered their biggest drop in three months on Thursday as the turmoil surrounding the White House sapped investor confidence that his ambitious economic agenda would become reality. After the close of regular trading, equity index futures fell a bit further, with S&P 500 emini futures <ESv1> heading into the overnight trading session about 2 points lower.

The U.S. stock market has not followed a 1 percent down day with a second straight day of losses since Trump was elected, so Friday’s session is being watched as a significant test of the market’s resilience.

Amid the controversy, the White House knocked down rumours that Trump economic adviser Gary Cohn might resign. An official said Cohn "intends to remain in his position" as National Economic Council director at the White House.

On Wednesday, Trump announced the disbanding of two high-profile business advisory councils after the resignation of several corporate executives over his Charlottesville remarks. On Thursday, a White House official said Trump had dropped plans for an advisory council on infrastructure.

In another indication of businesses not wanting to be associated with the president, a world renowned hospital, the Cleveland Clinic, cancelled a planned 2018 Florida fundraiser at Trump's Mar-a-Lago Florida resort, where it had held such events for seven straight years. Spokeswoman Eileen Sheil said the Cleveland Clinic considered "a variety of factors" in deciding to cancel an event that typically generates $1 million a year.

The clinic's chief executive, Toby Cosgrove, was a member of a one of the two councils that disbanded on Wednesday.

The Charlottesville violence erupted when white nationalists marched to protest the planned removal of a statue of Robert E. Lee. A 32-year-old woman, Heather Heyer, was killed when a man described as a white nationalist crashed his car into the counter-protesters.

Trump has blamed the Charlottesville violence on not just the white nationalist rally organizers but also the counter-protesters, and said there were "very fine people" among both groups. Trump also expressed distaste for removing Confederate statues in a heated news conference on Tuesday.

'HATE-FILLED INDIVIDUALS'

After Trump blasted Graham on Twitter, the senator who was one of Trump's rivals for the 2016 Republican presidential nomination fired back.

"Because of the manner in which you have handled the Charlottesville tragedy you are now receiving praise from some of the most racist and hate-filled individuals and groups in our country. For the sake of our Nation - as our President - please fix this," Graham said. "History is watching us all."

Another Republican senator, Dan Sullivan, added on Twitter, "Anything less than complete & unambiguous condemnation of white supremacists, neo-Nazis, and the KKK by (Trump) is unacceptable. Period."

Graham on Wednesday had said Trump's remarks at Tuesday's news conference had suggested "moral equivalency" between the white nationalists and anti-racism demonstrators and called on the president to use his words to heal Americans.

"Publicity seeking Lindsey Graham falsely stated that I said there is moral equivalency between the KKK, neo-Nazis & white supremacists and people like Ms. Heyer. Such a disgusting lie. He just can't forget his election trouncing. The people of South Carolina will remember!" Trump wrote.

In a separate tweet, Trump called Flake "WEAK on borders, crime and a non-factor in Senate. He's toxic!" and appeared to endorse Kelli Ward, Flake's Republican challenger in his 2018 re-election race.

Nancy Pelosi, the top Democrat in the U.S. House of Representatives, called for the immediate removal of Confederate statues from the U.S. Capitol. U.S. Senator Cory Booker, also a Democrat, said he would introduce legislation so that could be done.

"There is no room for celebrating the violent bigotry of the men of the Confederacy in the hallowed halls of the United States Capitol or in places of honour across the country," Pelosi said in a statement.

A spokesman for Republican U.S. House Speaker Paul Ryan said it was up to U.S. states to determine which statues were displayed on their behalf in the Capitol building.

(Reporting by Steve Holland and Susan Heavey; Additional reporting by Makini Brice, Richard Cowan, Caroline Valetkevitch, Deena Beasley and Gina Cherelus; Writing by Will Dunham; Editing by Francis Kerry, Howard Goller, Grant McCool)

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2017-08-18

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7 minutes ago, USPatriot said:

Erace everything bad like it never happened, that is truly bad.. It is apart of history.

We admonish Thais for erasing the Japanese part of their history (and other things) and yet the US seeks to do the same. I agree with you and what would be next?  take away the Civil War from the text books? 'PC Adjustment Camps'?

I see on CNN that now many dont want boys to be blue and girls to be pink  and 'Let Toys be Toys'  it's PC madness!!!  learn from history don't seek to destroy it. Teach about the wonderful victory of the North and the abolition of evil slavery not try and tippex it out.

Edited by LannaGuy

13 minutes ago, Scott said:

I believe most of those monuments are being moved, not destroyed, not erased.  

Yes I suppose that's true but it's the thin end of the wedge. Why move them?  They have sat there for decades and are informative. Part of US history and they fought for what, they believed, was right and that wasn't as simple as 'slavery' and the 'good side' won thank God. Shall the English remove Cromwell as it's an 'affront' to royalists? Nelsons Column might upset some French tourists?

13 minutes ago, LannaGuy said:

Yes I suppose that's true but it's the thin end of the wedge. Why move them?  They have sat there for decades and are informative. Part of US history and they fought for what, they believed, was right and that wasn't as simple as 'slavery' and the 'good side' won thank God. Shall the English remove Cromwell as it's an 'affront' to royalists? Nelsons Column might upset some French tourists?

While I disagree with the callous way Trump has handled the situation, I see no reason why we have to remove the monuments. How about a compromise where the monuments stay but we add a plaque with a bit of historical perspective, touching on the war, slavery and that we keep these monuments to remind us never to go down the path of self destruction again ?

The monuments are becoming a scapegoat for the real underlying problem which is racism and hate in our country and society. Getting rid of the monuments does not fix the hate and ignorance.

21 minutes ago, LannaGuy said:

I don't have strong feelings one way or the other.   I've seen some of them (actually in the North).   At this point, they probably need to be moved for the protection of the statutes -- and they do need to be protected.   Many of them are pieces of art work, whether you like who they are of or not.  

From the OP :

Nancy Pelosi, the top Democrat in the U.S. House of Representatives, called for the immediate removal of Confederate statues from the U.S. Capitol. U.S. Senator Cory Booker, also a Democrat, said he would introduce legislation so that could be done.

I resided in Wash DC for awhile. DC has a mayor, but is mostly governed by federal congressional members - so it is different than a state of the union.  DC license plates had the one-liner; 'last colony'  

Yeah, yeah, yeah. Republicans tweet and spout but yet they won't even attempt to do anything else. If they want to grow a spine then they should at least censure the "POTUS". Censuring the "POTUS" is pretty much a strongly worded letter stating their disapproval. It won't really do anything but will show the American public that they can stand up to the man-child.

3 representatives want to officially censure Trump after Charlottesville

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/representatives-officially-censure-trump-charlottesville/story?id=49281724

Edited by Silurian

Don't get sucked into the debate on removing Confederate statues.

It is

i) a distraction of the media to shine the light anywhere but his dealings with Russia and his failure to legislate, administer or govern. This is a very often used Trump tactic. Start a pointless and personal argument by making provocative statements.

ii) an obvious dog whistle. Trump couldn't care less about statues. He is channelling the anger of working class whites in America. "Look this is proof you are second class citizens. I am your Leader," he is saying.

iii) a red herring. Will the presence or removal of these statues make any difference to people's lives. He is wasting time on a non-issue. Get on with the real work.

40 minutes ago, LannaGuy said:

Sadly, a few nut jobs are aligning themselves with the confederacy. Pushing forward their warped views. Slavery was a part of the world for thousands of years.  We can't ignore it, but should realize we've moved past this.

2 hours ago, webfact said:

"The president has not yet been able to demonstrate the ability or the competence that he needs to be successful," said Corker

Why so negative Mr. Honorable Corker? Can't you find even one attribute considered positive in your President? Ability, Competence, Success? Nope, nope, nope. Paint-by-numbers? The jury is out on that one.

1 hour ago, LannaGuy said:

Isn't that the crux of the matter, these for the most part are not from the confederate era but mostly erected during the 20th century as a push back against the civil rights legislation etc that was being enacted.

2 hours ago, USPatriot said:

Erace everything bad like it never happened, that is truly bad.. It is apart of history.

If the supremacists learn history only with equestrian statues,  these must weigh heavily in their satchels
Edited by Opl

2 hours ago, LannaGuy said:

I agree with you and what would be next?  take away the Civil War from the text books? 'PC Adjustment Camps'?

"I agree with you and what would be next?  take away the Civil War from the text books?"

Hyperbolic gibberish.

:coffee1:

One of the problems with this man, and his frail, egotistical, vengeful, hateful, adolescent heart, is that he cannot see clearly. He is completely blinded by his ideology, and his hatred. He possesses no objectivity, which is dangerous considering the position he is in. So, at this point in time, rather than listening to voices of reason like Kelly, he continues to lash out at his perceived enemies, despite any common sense to to the contrary, and continues to make inane statements like the ones defending the confederate memorials. 

It is fun to watch. I knew he would be out of control, but I did not know it would be this bad. I knew he had no self control or discipline, but I did not realize he was this weak minded. He shoots himself in the foot daily. I thought by bringing in Kelly, things might calm down. But, apparently he will not listen to moderate voices, and once he goes off script, he really hurts himself badly. I am enjoying the show.

There is a chance he will end up being impeached. I believe that he is losing support daily, within the house and senate leadership. Ryan will not say anything, as he is a sycophantic coward. But, others are speaking out, and dozens have lost faith in him, but are not speaking out quite yet. If he is not impeached, he will probably resign, after he realizes his own party is against him. It is entirely of his own making. The only one he can blame is himself, for so many of his problems. But, he is the last person in the world, that would take responsibility for his actions. It is not within him. He is not a big enough man. 

Get used to saying President Pence. He would be far better, though I am not fond of his positions. At this point, I would take Taylor Swift over Trump.

If confederate statues are to be pulled down for reasons of PC, then shouldn't the monuments to most of the ‘founding fathers’, because they were pro-slavery, slave holders? Might also be a good reason to dump the Constitution once and for all as it was penned by 'racists'? Is erasing history now a democratic ideal?

According to one commentator what the liberal/progressive/left is essentially trying to do with Charlottesville is to associate Trump supporters with White Supremacists and in this way demonize Trump supporters so that they will not have a voice when Trump is overthrown in a coup. Notice that one black Democratic Congresswomen today called for Trumps assassination (but that was PC acceptable), while another Republican wants him removed via coup. Are political coups a democratic ideal?

Seems to me there are deeper mechanations in play here, ones that are not going in a good direction. Trump may offend some but can see no legal reason for the establishment to remove him, again not a good precedent. Seems Trump stepped on the toes of the establishment embedded war machine, as such seems he will be ousted. Is perpetual war a democratic ideal?

2 hours ago, craigt3365 said:

Sadly, a few nut jobs are aligning themselves with the confederacy. Pushing forward their warped views. Slavery was a part of the world for thousands of years.  We can't ignore it, but should realize we've moved past this.

Sadly, slavery is still very much part of the world. Modern slavery is less overt than before, but nevertheless is increasing rather than decreasing according to the UN and various NGO's.

Learning from history only happens if we're open about history. And as we see, many nations aren't preferring to bury it. Amazing that some in the US seem to support that.

Or is this really about the Democrats and Republicans finding a way to exploit Trump's support from all those extreme nut groups? 

38 minutes ago, Rancid said:

If confederate statues are to be pulled down for reasons of PC, then shouldn't the monuments to most of the ‘founding fathers’, because they were pro-slavery, slave holders? Might also be a good reason to dump the Constitution once and for all as it was penned by 'racists'? Is erasing history now a democratic ideal?

According to one commentator what the liberal/progressive/left is essentially trying to do with Charlottesville is to associate Trump supporters with White Supremacists and in this way demonize Trump supporters so that they will not have a voice when Trump is overthrown in a coup. Notice that one black Democratic Congresswomen today called for Trumps assassination (but that was PC acceptable), while another Republican wants him removed via coup. Are political coups a democratic ideal?

Seems to me there are deeper mechanations in play here, ones that are not going in a good direction. Trump may offend some but can see no legal reason for the establishment to remove him, again not a good precedent. Seems Trump stepped on the toes of the establishment embedded war machine, as such seems he will be ousted. Is perpetual war a democratic ideal?

Once again, the founding fathers are not celebrated because they were slave holders or defenders of slavery, but despite that. They have plenty of other achievements. The only reason has monuments erected to him is because he defended slavery.

2 hours ago, iReason said:

No.

Just don't erect and worship monuments to it.

Especially, traitors and racists.

Simple.

Ah you are saying Robert E. Lee was a traitor?  who else is on your list?  Stonewall Jackson?  who else do you hate from the past Mr Righteous?  

7 minutes ago, LannaGuy said:

Ah you are saying Robert E. Lee was a traitor?  who else is on your list?  Stonewall Jackson?  who else do you hate from the past Mr Righteous?  

Well, if you believe that Secession was in violation of the US Constitution, then obviously he was a traitor. And if he was, why wouldn't Stonewall Jackson be. Of course, if you believe that Secession wasn't constitutionally justified that's a different story. But not being able to see how someone could legitimately call Robert E. Lee a traitor is bizarre. And ascribing it to hatred is equally bizarre.

Edited by ilostmypassword

3 hours ago, pitrevie said:

Isn't that the crux of the matter, these for the most part are not from the confederate era but mostly erected during the 20th century as a push back against the civil rights legislation etc that was being enacted.

That might be a valid point IF they were erected just as a 'snub' to the civil rights movement but they didn't seem to bother MLK and the others who fought so bravely. Why now? 

1 minute ago, LannaGuy said:

That might be a valid point IF they were erected just as a 'snub' to the civil rights movement but they didn't seem to bother MLK and the others who fought so bravely. Why now? 

I don't think MLK's priorities at the time were confederate statues. As to why now that suggests that any time would not have caused a furore. 

2 minutes ago, ilostmypassword said:

Well, if you believe that Secession was in violation of the US Constitution, then obviously he was a traitor? And if he was, why wouldn't Stonewall Jackson be. Of course, if you believe that Secession wasn't constitutionally justified that's a different story. But not being able to see how someone could legitimately call Robert E. Lee a traitor is bizarre. And ascribing it to hatred is equally bizarre.

Funny how your posting name begins with a small 'i' as does the poster you so valiantly defend.

What you are now saying is that he should have been deemed a traitor?  In fact Lee became President of Washington College after the Civil War hardly a traitors fate?  a Sub was named after him the USS Robert E. Lee - strange for a 'traitor' huh?  

The winners always write the history and the right side won but you go too far to suggest he was a traitor or defend 'another' poster for saying such.

7 minutes ago, pitrevie said:

I don't think MLK's priorities at the time were confederate statues. As to why now that suggests that any time would not have caused a furore. 

I think much less so. The US is deeply divided as the racists believe, stupidly, that there is mileage in their hateful ways and they use this 'issue' to stir up such hate. Much better to ignore them as tearing down statues gives them focus and attention they do not deserve.  

1 minute ago, LannaGuy said:

Funny how your posting name begins with a small 'i' as does the poster you so valiantly defend.

What you are now saying is that he should have been deemed a traitor?  In fact Lee became President of Washington College after the Civil War hardly a traitors fate?  a Sub was named after him the USS Robert E. Lee - strange for a 'traitor' huh?  

The winners always write the history and the right side won but you go too far to suggest he was a traitor or defend 'another' poster for saying such.

Now that's a rigorous legal argument. The government chose not to prosecute people for treason out of a desire to put the war behind them. But how much more treasonous an act can there be than secession?

6 minutes ago, LannaGuy said:

and what are on about with the small "i".