Pattaya confirms 4-way intersection to replace Dolphin Roundabout

Rimmer

Have to back up city hall here........roundabouts in Thailand are absolutely not done since 99% of the users are ignorant <deleted> who don't even respect themselves let it be other users of the road. 

Although a secured junction won't improve the traffic flow,  the chaos is easier to oversee. 

6 hours ago, Srikcir said:

Looking at the road plan, it's not a 90o 4-way intersection! Two adjacent roads appear to intersect at 45o.

All your lines of sight for drivers will be angled instead of straight forward. That's going to be confusing for any driver. The intersection appears as a huge open space - very susceptible to uncontrolled "maneuvering."

If the intersecting roadways are not elevated overpasses or tunnels, there are too many points of potential vehicular "conflicts" in every direction.

The better solution would be a cloverleaf style intersection but that probably requires too much land.

In the alternative simply create two successive 90o intersections with coordinated traffic lights than trying to compress all traffic movement into a single intersection.

Man that is so well thought out and explanetary that it borders on being subversive in this place .. You might be in line for getting you're collar felt for coming out with logic like that ..  :shock1:

12 hours ago, Classic Ray said:

The US replacing intersections with roundabouts, so Thailand does the opposite, TIT!

HUGE difference between driving, and drivers, in the states, or almost anywhere in the west, and driving in Thailand.   You can't really draw comparisons.  What Thailand needs are "policed" intersections, where a trained & competent cop actually mans the intersection and directs traffic by hand.  

Or maybe not.  Maybe Thai drivers would be just as prone to ignore a uniformed cop directing traffic as they are a stoplight.   And then there's the "trained & competent cop" bit, too.   (Yeah, I've been to Bangkok; I know I know.)

In the states, it's possible to incur up to a $600 fine just for running a stale light.   'Wonder what THB20K fines would do to Thai driving skills...

Edited by hawker9000

2 hours ago, maxpower said:

I live in BKK , never been to this location. Guess Google got confused also.

confused.jpg.cff3ad9691dbf02a66ad52e0e2f98374.jpg

No, i forgot about sai song 4 roads and an and an Alley beach road and sai song are a one-way loop in opposite directions. Still, hasn't changed my opinion that traffic lights will make it worse. Bit of turd polishing basically the roads are not wide enough to deal with the amount of traffic there is now

12 hours ago, Jonmarleesco said:

You think? That would be a small minority.

They do understand. They know they are supposed to give way to traffic on the roundabout. They know they are supposed to stop for a pedestrian on a crossing. They know they should not run a red light. They know the rules of the road they just choose to ignore them and charge ahead believing themselves more important then everybody else. The "ME FIRST" concept.

Roundabouts are a great way of sorting traffic, but they have to be operated correctly. The last 15 years or so have shown that Pattaya traffic engineers have no idea how to design or mark a roundabout and the repeated interference by the local police shows they are completely untrained and equipped to deal with this sort of thing.

Sadly what will happen now is the installation of a piece of traffic engineering that will simply reinforce the image of complete incompetence by all concerned.

BTW it is not the users of Thai roundabouts that are ignorant..it us the way they are set up.

They need to have clear lane and give way markings. In Thailand this us totally absent. The problem here is that the general rule in Thai roads is priority from the LEFT but a roundabout can only work with priority on the RIGHT. Although this is the law, it needs to be clearly marked....no such thing exists in Thailand.

17 hours ago, Jonmarleesco said:

Problem is, it doesn't need science to prove that the majority of Thai drivers have no idea how a roundabout works. And that they would ignore it, even if they did know.

If the average Thai drivers brain was made of gunpowder ,they couldnt blow their hat off .

7 hours ago, hawker9000 said:

HUGE difference between driving, and drivers, in the states, or almost anywhere in the west, and driving in Thailand.   You can't really draw comparisons.  What Thailand needs are "policed" intersections, where a trained & competent cop actually mans the intersection and directs traffic by hand.  

Or maybe not.  Maybe Thai drivers would be just as prone to ignore a uniformed cop directing traffic as they are a stoplight.   And then there's the "trained & competent cop" bit, too.   (Yeah, I've been to Bangkok; I know I know.)

In the states, it's possible to incur up to a $600 fine just for running a stale light.   'Wonder what THB20K fines would do to Thai driving skills...

Dude you gotta remember a lot of people on the roads in Pattaya don't even have a licence and their insurance policy is by Buddha .. Last year my chick asked me to buy her a motorcycle for getting home at night from work .. I said yea so long as she gotta a motorcycle licence and insurance .. The full on tantrum I got for that suggestion told the story of the mindset here .. So in view of that do you think some are bothered following traffic laws and reg's .. I think not .. Enforcement in U S and European countries bears no comparison to here as much as some would like it to .. The Brits A N P R system for example is utterly utterly ruthless in catching all manner of offenders for all manner of offence's and can even be commanded to flag up vehicles that haven't commited an offence ( Police surveillance ) But they have databases for driver , insurance and vehicle registration that are enforced without mercy that allow the system to work .. Can't see that happening here can you .. The roundabout junction will be reconfigured and controlled by lights as its the easier option and won't need the space a proper roundabout would require .. How ow much folk will abide by it when it's finished is another thing .. Or get an armoured car .. 

On 18/08/2017 at 5:14 AM, Rimmer said:

While Pattaya officials and traffic police complain about the congestion steaming circling the roundabout, they actually have only themselves to blame.

At least with an intersection they can blame the cement lorries with Thai truck brakes... :(

Roundabouts are much better than traffic lights, if you can get the hang of them and here they cannot, they have no idea who has the right of way and its ok to do U turns at them as well!

The problem now is that no one will want to wait for their turn at the lights again, takes too long!

The on going problem is the Thai drivers,where its me me me and no consideration of others coupled with everyone interprets the highway code differently to suit themselves.

On 8/18/2017 at 10:49 PM, hawker9000 said:

Or maybe not.  Maybe Thai drivers would be just as prone to ignore a uniformed cop directing traffic as they are a stoplight.   And then there's the "trained & competent cop" bit, too.

Jammed up at the junction or jammed up at the roundabout does it really matter?

On 8/18/2017 at 11:14 AM, Rimmer said:

those studies were done in the West where drivers are better educated and policed. Thailand, by contrast,

so thai drivers cannot be trusted to make such decisions; a thai traffic engineer as much as told me that when i asked him to explain U-turns , their classifications ('grades') and their placements

On 8/19/2017 at 4:08 AM, Dave67 said:

No, i forgot about sai song 4 roads and an and an Alley beach road and sai song are a one-way loop in opposite directions. Still, hasn't changed my opinion that traffic lights will make it worse. Bit of turd polishing basically the roads are not wide enough to deal with the amount of traffic there is now

Here is how the British handled a complex intersection with more than four entries:

Good luck with that anywhere in Thailand.

On 8/18/2017 at 4:49 PM, hawker9000 said:

In the states, it's possible to incur up to a $600 fine just for running a stale light.

Stale light - is that a green that's yellowing or a yellow light that takes on a pink hue as you pass under it?

3 hours ago, Damrongsak said:

Stale light - is that a green that's yellowing or a yellow light that takes on a pink hue as you pass under it?

Well, to have the camera award you a ticket, it's a yellow light you THINK will remain yellow until you at least enter the intersection, but instead turns red before you actually do.  (If it turns red, but not until you're actually already IN the intersection, you're OK.  'A moron maybe, but legally OK.) 

Others, including the drivers handbook, might define it differently...  (I've even heard a green light that's just been green awhile referred to that way.)

On ‎8‎/‎23‎/‎2017 at 0:54 AM, johng said:

Not officialy or legally but yes in practice the larger vehicles "bully" the smaller ones into submission.

And in Thailand that includes the two-legged kind.  In lawyer-saturated societies, like the states, it's pretty much just the opposite.

1 hour ago, hawker9000 said:

Well, to have the camera award you a ticket, it's a yellow light you THINK will remain yellow until you at least enter the intersection, but instead turns red before you actually do.  (If it turns red, but not until you're actually already IN the intersection, you're OK.  'A moron maybe, but legally OK.) 

I'm good to go!  I did perfect my driving skills in New Jersey (555) and a good bit of practice in NYC. Most of that was in a small Toyota Moron pickup truck, so I think I might qualify for competition in Thailand. I learned drifting in the 2 wheel drive truck in ice and snow in the winter. 

54 minutes ago, Damrongsak said:

I'm good to go!  I did perfect my driving skills in New Jersey (555) and a good bit of practice in NYC. Most of that was in a small Toyota Moron pickup truck, so I think I might qualify for competition in Thailand. I learned drifting in the 2 wheel drive truck in ice and snow in the winter. 

Maybe.  I am from Rhode Island. While RI is not too bad, neighboring Massachusetts I think takes the case.  But I do love the "new york minute", before sounding the horn

26 minutes ago, gk10002000 said:

Maybe.

Maybe?  I did graduate driving school in NJ after running around Thailand on a Suzuki 125cc enduro bike around 1978.  After doing the Superman flying trick hitting two kids on a Honda 50 broadside while carting a huge sack of charcoal on the back of my bike.  It was amazing to see how many villagers can suddenly appear out of nowhere when a farang crashes. It was like a pit stop in a NASCAR race.  They straightened the bent pieces, shoved me on the bike and pushed me in the direction of town in record time.