Two Russian tourists killed in Surat Thani road crash

webfact

Two Russian tourists killed in Surat Thani road crash

By The Nation

SURAT THANI: -- Two Russian tourists were killed in Surat Thani on Thursday night when their car was struck by a pickup truck at an intersection without traffic lights.

Police said a CCTV camera recorded both vehicles speeding at the time of the accident, about 9pm, at the Ban Yai intersection on Punpin-Thachang Toad in Thachang district’s Tambon Thakoei.

Police said the tourists’ Toyota Yaris ended up in the pickup’s path and was hurled several metres by the impact.

The dead were identified as Sorokin Ivan, 32, and Semennoy Dmitry Sergeyevich, 31.

Pickup driver Sunthorn Saengthong, 51, and his passenger, Wimolrat Klaisuban, 43, were severely injured.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30324186

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-08-18

There is a CVTV video of the accident which shows it from two perspectives.

Although the video is quite blurry it seems like the victims drove quite fast on a minor road with a STOP sign and without slowing down straight through the intersection over the major road where they were hit by the pickup.

Accident happened in the night.

How one can behave like that an intersection?

Distracted, drugs, alcohol?

Just now, LotusBoy said:

WOW! Even in death, its the Westerns fault.

RIP

Some how I am sure the CCTV footage was actually misplaced or now even recording. Cynical? Moi??

The CCTV footage is in the post above yours.

It's very clear that the Russian driver was at fault.

18 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

Although the video is quite blurry it seems like the victims drove quite fast on a minor road with a STOP sign and without slowing down straight through the intersection over the major road where they were hit by the pickup.

Stupidity

Sorry for confusion.

I had linked the video and then decided to remove.

So here it is for all to see:

It's actually three different scenes/views.

In the second one it is quite likely that there is a stop sign to see.

21 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

Pretty much how they all act at an intersection in Thailand. Stop sign? What's that?

This incident and also the one where the thai foreign exchange students plunged down a cliff in California shows that what is supposed to be a joyous vacation can rapidly turn fatal as driving in unfamiliar places without knowledge of the roads and driving habits of the locals is a high risk hazard in itself.  

Best is to drive defensively:  that is to be more alert, aware and at speeds slower then one usually drives.

Looking at the video and lane markings its clear that the pick up truck was on the main road and had right of way.  Unfortunately intersections like this are an accident waiting to happen.  RIP

Edited by smileydude

RIP to the two younge wasted lives.

The Russians love their grog, Vodca and if they were driving like on the YouTube Russian road rage serise what can they expect. It amasses me watching the Russian Road Rage, some of it so funny. But this is not, hope the other in the truck recover.

8 minutes ago, wvavin said:

What a waste that the pick up driver is not dead. This means our roads are still not safe when he is back.

If you look at the video you will see from the lane markings the pick up truck was on the main road with right of way.  The tourists were in a cross lane that needed to stop first before merging.  

I don't think its a waste anyone's NOT DEAD, nevertheless.  

Our roads are only as safe as drivers obeying laws + enforcement + road safety design.

Unfortunately in Thailand we are lax in all 3 areas and then some.

Edited by smileydude

How about that two Russians die and of course someone wants to blame the Thai who had the right of way. Come on boys where are the stupids, there parents taught them how to drive this way. This tread points out how racist people are toward Thais.

My best wishes to the families of the two dead russians and to the two Thai innocent victims

RIP to the two dudes, sorry for the pick up driver who is not at fault, hopefully he and his wife have a full recovery, always slow down at intersections, regardless if you have right of way, as accidents do happen, if the pick up had slowed down, he may have just avoided the Russians who went through what appears to be a give way or stop sign !!!

3 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

mentality or lack thereof 

gjoo, we must have been driving in a different Thailand for 15 years, not only are Thais not stopping at stop signs same for red lights and not looking right at intersections. In this case however the Thai was blameless. There is a good reason they are number 2 in the world for road deaths....not following the rules 

Has been said, the pick up was driving on main road with Right of Way, the car was driving too fast and just never stopped or slowed for the give way, only going to end one way, heaven knows why you would drive like that at night anywhere let alone here in LOS...

RIP to the young men and hope the thai people recover and are ok

Amazing timing. Dead on T Bone that would have never happened if just for short tap on the brakes. As far as the stop sign debate above I only know of two in Phuket and in 3 years the only person I have ever seen stop at them is me. Sadly the most dangerous thing about stopping for them is the enraged driver behind me who either almost rear ends me or flies past on my right. It's gonna make for great dash cam footage one day. 

Edited by ThaiWai

3 hours ago, wvavin said:

What a waste that the pick up driver is not dead. This means our roads are still not safe when he is back.

In all my life and with 30 years in law enforcement you comment has to be the most tasteless I have ever come across.  Can only come from a troll, not a civilised human being.:post-4641-1156693976::wai:

5 hours ago, wvavin said:

What a stupid thing to say, probably a great indication of the person u are

8 hours ago, webfact said:

Police said the tourists’ Toyota Yaris ended up in the pickup’s path

Here we go again. Not the Thai's fault. This is clearly a high speed impact from both vehicles at what appears to be a poorly lit intersection. 

15 minutes ago, dinsdale said:

Here we go again. Not the Thai's fault. This is clearly a high speed impact from both vehicles at what appears to be a poorly lit intersection. 

The video shows that the intersection was lit, not that this should have much influence of how to approach a main road from a small road, especially as the pickup's headlights were probably obvious to anyone looking.

As for the rest of your post, I am still trying to make sense of it. What is your point?