They’re gone: Tourism development blamed for killing off Phuket turtle nesting sites

rooster59

They’re gone: Tourism development blamed for killing off Phuket turtle nesting sites

Tanyaluk Sakoot

1503048307_1-org.jpg

PHUKET: The rapid pace of development in Phuket over the past two decades has devastated the natural habitats where turtles once laid eggs on the island’s beaches, but marine life experts are holding out hope that the turtles will return – even if only to the last preserved beach areas where human activities are restricted.

The discovery last month of a clutch of turtle eggs in a nest on Racha Island, about 25 kilometres south of Phuket, raised hopes.

“Only once in the past 20 years has a turtle nest been found on Koh Racha,” said Hirun Kanghae, Acting Chief of the Marine Endangered Species Unit (MESU) at Phuket Marine Biological Centre (PMBC).

Full story: https://www.thephuketnews.com/theyre-gone-tourism-development-blamed-for-killing-off-phuket-turtle-nesting-sites-63513.php#JTqmxhbfu8CfK7i3.97

tphuketnews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Phuket News 2017-08-19

1 hour ago, Thechook said:

Greed and the baht took priority and they destroyed what truly could have attracted those quality tourists they speak of.

Try

Corruption and the baht took priority and they destroyed what truly could have attracted those quality tourists they speak of.

Always best to use the correct word

I can imagine in the future Phuket will be an island of concrete hotels and other buildings, filthy dirty sea with no sea life, full of dumped rubbish and plastic all over the place, and no forests or wildlife left... only dazzling night lights, base thumping bad music and selfish drunk tourists who won't care about their surroundings or seeing any beautiful nature.  

They could have been saved, but it would have required cooperation between the local government, business community, beach vendors, and tourists.

When I lived in Florida, there were known sea turtle nesting sites on the public beaches that were well managed by the local authorities. During nesting season, all of the ocean-facing hotels, homes and condos in those areas were requested to turn off lights at night so as not to confuse the turtles emerging from the sea to make their nests. Once the nests were established, they were cordoned off to prevent damage by tourists.

It took a lot of cooperation among all parties, but they were successful. Given the culture of greed and corruption here, I don't think that approach would have stood a chance.

3 hours ago, DrDave said:

They could have been saved, but it would have required cooperation between the local government, business community, beach vendors, and tourists.

When I lived in Florida, there were known sea turtle nesting sites on the public beaches that were well managed by the local authorities. During nesting season, all of the ocean-facing hotels, homes and condos in those areas were requested to turn off lights at night so as not to confuse the turtles emerging from the sea to make their nests. Once the nests were established, they were cordoned off to prevent damage by tourists.

It took a lot of cooperation among all parties, but they were successful. Given the culture of greed and corruption here, I don't think that approach would have stood a chance.

Agree with you there... and her if they did find the nest and fence them off.. the hotels and beach vendors would be likely digging up the eggs and baby turtles to BBQ.

15 hours ago, jak2002003 said:

I can imagine in the future Phuket will be an island of concrete hotels and other buildings, filthy dirty sea with no sea life, full of dumped rubbish and plastic all over the place, and no forests or wildlife left... only dazzling night lights, base thumping bad music and selfish drunk tourists who won't care about their surroundings or seeing any beautiful nature.  

You mean another Pattaya? :sad:

On 8/19/2017 at 4:17 PM, Thechook said:

Greed and the baht took priority and they destroyed what truly could have attracted those quality tourists they speak of.

There seems to be a much better condition in the area around Sattahip, where the beaches and islands are largely under Royal Navy control.
There is control of what kinds of activities are permitted, while many areas are off limits, and there are programs promoting the environment including turtle population and coral reef protection and regrowth.
I have to say I see mostly Thai people and relatively few fellow farang here, whatever that may indicate.