CAT stuck a device on the wall.

phuketjock

33 minutes ago, Crossy said:

It says it's a Beacon Transmitter for Smart City Phuket, whatever that is.

There's a phone number, maybe your good lady should call it and ask what it is.

http://www.depa.or.th/en/projects/smart-city-project-digital-economy

If it's on your property and permission wasn't given ...

Thanks Crossy, unfortunately the guys who came were in CAT jackets and told the

missus, as far as I can gather, that it was like google maps or some such locator 

device, and she said OK.

After reading what I can find, and your link, I am not really sure if it is good or bad or 

neither? I really don't know what to make of it?? Is what they are saying true or is there

some other motive for this device?? I don't know............

Edited by phuketjock
addition

24 minutes ago, phuketjock said:

Thanks Crossy, unfortunately the guys who came were in CAT jackets and told the

missus, as far as I can gather, that it was like google maps or some such locator 

device, and she said OK.

After reading what I can find, and your link, I am not really sure if it is good or bad or 

neither? I really don't know what to make of it?? Is what they are saying true or is there

some other motive for this device?? I don't know............

It could potentially be good, especially if you want your wife's shop to be found.

9 hours ago, blackcab said:

It could potentially be good, especially if you want your wife's shop to be found.

Having read what I can on the subject I have found nothing to substantiate such a belief, but as everything I have been able to find is really sketchy on specifics who knows??

It's a transponder which comes to life when "something" triggers it, people who have EasyPass units in their cars have something similar on the windscreen.

In reality, the battery will be dead after a year or so (think Tsunami warning system) and it will then be just a black plastic box.

EDIT The "something" could be the Vogon Constructor Fleet, see @mfd101 post above.

8 hours ago, Crossy said:

It's a transponder which comes to life when "something" triggers it, people who have EasyPass units in their cars have something similar on the windscreen.

In reality, the battery will be dead after a year or so (think Tsunami warning system) and it will then be just a black plastic box.

That was one of my first thoughts also Crossy, no wires, no solar cells, batteries don't last long in this heat and I doubt if anyone will be rushing to check or replace them......................, once the envelopes are in the right hands of course.

15 hours ago, Crossy said:

EDIT The "something" could be the Vogon Constructor Fleet, see @mfd101 post above.

Then I hope the shop number is 42

16 hours ago, Crossy said:

You may be surprised, the battery in my wireless door bell is still the original and still working, that is coming up to 5 years.

Gets used quite a bit at weekends when the kids kick their ball over the wall.

13 minutes ago, Roger Harris said:

Cat is the public internet, it appears to be a booster signal generator for internet

With no power source and no visible antennas it's not going to be doing much boosting.

This device sure has a so-called "IMEI"-number. Find it.

Then use google & take time - in any doubts activate a well working VPN before your search.

You will find the original producer and the real technical specifications. Latest then you will know what it is & how it works and guess why it was mounted on your property.

Cheers, mate.

6 minutes ago, Roger Harris said:

Maybe they are waiting to connect it up?????????????????????

It also says "beacon" on it, along with the "something like Google maps" comment from the installers it's likely a low-power BlueTooth transponder which replies with an ID when it's hit with a signal from a suitably equipped mobile.

Coupled with a suitable ap it could be used to inform tourists of places of interest in the area, or some other location specific information.

We may find out in due course.

22 hours ago, cornishcarlos said:

Why don't you pull it off and stick it on the next slow moving truck that passes by, see how "smart" they are then :)

I assume they put it there to improve his signal...why would he not appreciate that?

23 hours ago, phuketjock said:

20170820_144836 CAT.jpg

Clearly, a job executed with pride. That's the right angle to catch even the most crooked and elusive frequency in the known electromagnetic spectrum. That glue appears to be from the finest sticky-rice technology as well.

Edited by Dobredin Ghusputin

5 minutes ago, ChiangMaiLightning2143 said:

If anybody installed an electronic device on my property without legal justification I would peel it off with a crowbar and rubbish it.

I'll tell the wifes landlady to get her crowbar out then.    :thumbsup:

She looks about 70+ so it should be interesting.

Edited by phuketjock

3 hours ago, Crossy said:

It also says "beacon" on it, along with the "something like Google maps" comment from the installers it's likely a low-power BlueTooth transponder which replies with an ID when it's hit with a signal from a suitably equipped mobile.

Coupled with a suitable ap it could be used to inform tourists of places of interest in the area, or some other location specific information.

We may find out in due course.

So the question becomes, how can it be manipulated for the best comic value?  Deliveries to the wrong address?  Cars going down dead end streets?  Wives tracking their husbands by GPS to cat houses?