Why is the Thai Bht going down rapidly

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I assume you meant the baht to the dollar exchange rate going down. That is the dollar going down in value in relation to baht. The baht has gained value in relation to it.

The dollar has lost value in relation to many currencies.

If you're referring to the baht-dollar, the baht is going up, up, up, or the dollar is going down, down, down.  The value of the dollar and stock market strength are not related. 

The dollar has weakened quite a bit over the past few weeks.

Edited by bubba45

The Baht is going up, causing problems for exporters.

I bought something in April for 333 Dollars around 13K Baht, and it never arrived

I finally got my refund at the beginning of this month, for $333 and it was only just over 10K baht.

22 minutes ago, alant said:

it is not going down on my graphs, where do you get this from please?

The buying rate (TT) was 35.40 as of 1/17.Now its 33.06,its not going up. The bht is stronger.

Edited by riclag

Here is a story trying to define the weakening of the dollar not only viz. the Baht but almost every currency.

https://www.standardmedia.co.ke/business/article/2001251459/why-is-the-us-dollar-falling

Apparently tRump likes a dollar that's "not too strong".

Edited by avvocato

Stock market is going up.... prices are rising. That's inflation....  why? Because there are more dollars in circulation. As there are MORE dollars available, ergo more supply the value of 1 dollar falls. Also as prices rise, the dollar LOSES value. $1 won't buy as many shares as it did yesterday. So as the dollar value goes down, other currencies rise.

Now this is a rather simplistic explanation, there's a whole lot more involved.... but this is the bare bones basic money theory.

3 minutes ago, DaveBKK said:

Stock market is going up.... prices are rising. That's inflation....  why? Because there are more dollars in circulation. As there are MORE dollars available, ergo more supply the value of 1 dollar falls. Also as prices rise, the dollar LOSES value. $1 won't buy as many shares as it did yesterday. So as the dollar value goes down, other currencies rise.

Now this is a rather simplistic explanation, there's a whole lot more involved.... but this is the bare bones basic money theory.

Actually, economists are still noting weak inflation in USA, so that explanation isn't quite right.  Federal Reserve policymakers appeared increasingly wary about recent weak inflation and some called for a halt to further interest rate hikes until it was clear the trend was transitory, according to the minutes of the US central bank’s last policy meeting.

http://gulfnews.com/business/economy/fed-policymakers-wary-about-weak-us-inflation-1.2075581

As Bubba 45 stated the stock market and strength of the dollar are not related. In 2008 when the market crashed, the dollar maintained (and even increased in) strength.

11 minutes ago, avvocato said:

Here is a story trying to define the weakening of the dollar not only viz. the Baht but almost every currency.

https://www.standardmedia.co.ke/business/article/2001251459/why-is-the-us-dollar-falling

tRump likes a dollar that's "not too strong".

That's it in a nut shell."A story "trying" to define the weak dollar.

Look at the FX chart from 2009 to 2011.  Looks like a repeat, though nobody has a crystal ball that actually works, the US economy still influences the world in many ways.  Has the world been in Recession for the past 2 years and not admitted it?  I do know what the definition is, but perhaps the definition needs an update?

I think the £ is at an all time low against the Baht. The lowest I can ever ever remember, it was 44 to the £ in the very early 90s. Much as I appreciate the £ has dropped for many reasons, the Baht has strengthened against many currencies over the past year.

Actually, economists are still noting weak inflation in USA, so that explanation isn't quite right.  Federal Reserve policymakers appeared increasingly wary about recent weak inflation and some called for a halt to further interest rate hikes until it was clear the trend was transitory, according to the minutes of the US central bank’s last policy meeting.
http://gulfnews.com/business/economy/fed-policymakers-wary-about-weak-us-inflation-1.2075581
As Bubba 45 stated the stock market and strength of the dollar are not related. In 2008 when the market crashed, the dollar maintained (and even increased in) strength.

The fed measures consumer and producer price inflation. This is relatively weak although they do manipulate the numbers a bit. Energy prices crashing has had a dramatic effect.

However stock market inflation is a thing. I'm talking about the root economic definition of the word. Cost rising = inflation. Period.

And you have proven my point.... if the market crashed the dollar SHOULD go up in value. Theoretically. As I said there's a lot more a play but this is bare bones basics.

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

2 hours ago, NoBrainer said:

I bought something in April for 333 Dollars around 13K Baht, and it never arrived

I finally got my refund at the beginning of this month, for $333 and it was only just over 10K baht.

The rate hasn't changed 23%. You've been had. 

1 hour ago, Surasak said:

I think the £ is at an all time low against the Baht. The lowest I can ever ever remember, it was 44 to the £ in the very early 90s. Much as I appreciate the £ has dropped for many reasons, the Baht has strengthened against many currencies over the past year.

Try 33:1 in 1985! For now the pound has fallen against dollar (since the Brexit vote) the dollar has fallen against most other currencies, including the baht this year.

Edited by nauseus

Ten year chart, it's all over the place :

usd-thb-10-year-chart.JPG.d0d76e21bbe043631e70603e0ad4dce5.JPG

It could easily hit those lows of 28 Baht per USD again if the Baht continues to strengthen and the dollar continues to weaken.

Also this for the pound :

gbp-thb-10-year-chart.JPG.f330afe328c64602648a7f1319c7c75d.JPG

You can see where the Brexit vote is right in the middle of 2016.

Edited by ukrules

5 minutes ago, ukrules said:

Ten year chart, it's all over the place :

usd-thb-10-year-chart.JPG.d0d76e21bbe043631e70603e0ad4dce5.JPG

It could easily hit those lows of 28 Baht per USD again if the Baht continues to strengthen and the dollar continues to weaken.

There was a decisive reason for the dollar to lose value in June 2009.  There was also another decisive reason for the dollar to lose value in Nov. 2016!

3 hours ago, NoBrainer said:

you got royally cheated in april when you paid the equivalent 13k Baht for 333 Dollars (at USD THB 39.04) :bah:

high/low in april was 34.27/34.61

design_big.chart?WIDTH=645&HEIGHT=655&TY

2 hours ago, avvocato said:

A low inflation rate tends to weaken the dollar. But there is something else going on. The dollar has lost a little over 3 percent against a sample collection of other currencies, but it has lost almost 8 percent against the Baht.

7 minutes ago, Thingamabob said:

Can't understand this. The Baht is increasing in value against most currencies.

Foreign money inflow for Thai Bonds and markets. Thailand has relatively strong foreign reserves for an emerging market. 

If you think USD/THB is erratic over 10 yr just take a look at the EUR/USD max/min.

Capture.PNG

Edited by nauseus