Soi Dogs to transform street mutts into high-tech watchdogs

rooster59

Soi Dogs to transform street mutts into high-tech watchdogs 

Shela Riva

1503652719_1-org.jpg

PHUKET: A team at the renowned animal welfare charity Soi Dog Foundation, based in the northern half of Phuket, is pushing ahead with a project to transform unwanted – and often brutally mistreated – street dogs into a valuable “high tech” watchdogs to protect communities.

Together with a creative team at advertising agency Cheil Thailand, collaborators are developing a “smart vest” to take full advantage of dogs’ biologically bred sense of purpose and keen senses, with the hope of integrating them better into Phuket’s communities.

Leading the team, Pakornkrit Khantaprab explained to The Phuket News, “We’ve created a smart vest for stray dogs to turn them into ‘Watchdogs’. The vest will combine technology with dog instincts – such as barking, super senses and territorial behaviour.”

Full story: https://www.thephuketnews.com/soi-dogs-to-transform-street-mutts-into-high-tech-watchdogs-63604.php#DZc9HeIv17efyA40.97

tphuketnews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Phuket News 2017-08-26

8 minutes ago, sweatalot said:

Might be a good idea. Would be glad if it works.  

What I don't want to see are  pictures transferred from people killing the dog and removing the smart vest. TIT

What a fantasy tinfoil world you live in!

2 hours ago, sweatalot said:

Might be a good idea. Would be glad if it works.  

What I don't want to see are  pictures transferred from people killing the dog and removing the smart vest. TIT

Please neuter the dogs before pulling on the vest.

Anti rabies shots might also be a splendid idea.

34 minutes ago, KIWIBATCH said:

...Is it April the 1st already......:cheesy:

You just could not make this stuff up. 

"street dogs into a valuable “high tech” watchdogs to protect communities."

Street dogs bark all the time. I don't need a phone app to check why they are barking.

Edited by LivinginKata

19 minutes ago, hansnl said:

Please neuter the dogs before pulling on the vest.

Anti rabies shots might also be a splendid idea.

A main priority for Soi Dogs is neutering dogs - hence the free 'stations' set up every now and again in various areas offering a free neutering service ('cos let's be honest - most owned dogs run free, resulting in more soi dogs).

The idea does sound far-fetched as humans are too stupid to realise that dogs can do a great job in so many different ways.

I've learned to recognise my dogs 'snake bark' now (entirely different to 'people in the area' bark).

Its been shown that dogs can also detect cancer etc. in people - but we're too arrogant to train them as early warning systems other than for drugs at airports ....

I've have had the privilege to be exposed to some high-level executive of major businesses around the world during my work and studies. And all these people shared one important trait: they knew how to get to the core of things by asking the right questions. Ask the wrong questions and you start looking in the wrong direction, ask the right questions and you are halfway.

Here that skill is blatantly lacking, making it painful to read how stupidity can be exposed so clearly.

These people have been asking themselves the wrong question: "how can we integrate soi dogs better into their communities?", to which they found the asnwer: make them add value to the local community by turning them into "watch dogs" protecting said community.

While they did come up with a noval solution, one that will not work by the way, they should have asked themselves a better question: "what problems do soi dogs create and how can we limit that?".

So lets see what the problems surrounding soi dogs are and how this vest will help:

- soi dogs can show agression to people living in the neighborhood -> vest does not help with this

- soi dogs can show agression towards other animals in the neighborhood -> vest does not help with this

- soi dogs poo on the street where people walk and children play -> vest does not help with this

- soi dogs make a mess of the neighborhood by going through garbage -> vest does not help with this

- soi dogs can cause traffic accidents as they don't know how to safely cross the street -> vest does not help with this

- soi dogs carry disease and can suffer for ages from this - vest does not help with this

- soi dogs can bark at night and disturb people living in the neighborhood - vest does not help with this

So there we have it, by asking the wrong question they completely missed looking for a solution for the problems soi dogs create and instead just came up with some silly waste of money. But what could you expect, as this project is part of the efforts of an advertizing agency (Cheil Thailand) and all it aims for is media exposure. 

If this project will turn reality, and it won't, I will be the first to go to the local market and buy 10 pupies for about 2,000 baht. Next I will call soi dog foundation to ask for free shots, free neutering, and free vests. Hope the soi dog foundation will also train them a bit, clean up their shit, and feed them twice a day. Once thats done I will recommend all my neighbors to do the same, with 10 puppies each we will have the safest soi in Phuket and all at the expense of soi dog foundation. Great plan to solve the soi dog problem in Phuket....

13 minutes ago, Bob12345 said:

I've have had the privilege to be exposed to some high-level executive of major businesses around the world during my work and studies. And all these people shared one important trait: they knew how to get to the core of things by asking the right questions. Ask the wrong questions and you start looking in the wrong direction, ask the right questions and you are halfway.

Here that skill is blatantly lacking, making it painful to read how stupidity can be exposed so clearly.

These people have been asking themselves the wrong question: "how can we integrate soi dogs better into their communities?", to which they found the asnwer: make them add value to the local community by turning them into "watch dogs" protecting said community.

While they did come up with a noval solution, one that will not work by the way, they should have asked themselves a better question: "what problems do soi dogs create and how can we limit that?".

So lets see what the problems surrounding soi dogs are and how this vest will help:

- soi dogs can show agression to people living in the neighborhood -> vest does not help with this

- soi dogs can show agression towards other animals in the neighborhood -> vest does not help with this

- soi dogs poo on the street where people walk and children play -> vest does not help with this

- soi dogs make a mess of the neighborhood by going through garbage -> vest does not help with this

- soi dogs can cause traffic accidents as they don't know how to safely cross the street -> vest does not help with this

- soi dogs carry disease and can suffer for ages from this - vest does not help with this

- soi dogs can bark at night and disturb people living in the neighborhood - vest does not help with this

So there we have it, by asking the wrong question they completely missed looking for a solution for the problems soi dogs create and instead just came up with some silly waste of money. But what could you expect, as this project is part of the efforts of an advertizing agency (Cheil Thailand) and all it aims for is media exposure. 

If this project will turn reality, and it won't, I will be the first to go to the local market and buy 10 pupies for about 2,000 baht. Next I will call soi dog foundation to ask for free shots, free neutering, and free vests. Hope the soi dog foundation will also train them a bit, clean up their shit, and feed them twice a day. Once thats done I will recommend all my neighbors to do the same, with 10 puppies each we will have the safest soi in Phuket and all at the expense of soi dog foundation. Great plan to solve the soi dog problem in Phuket....

Bob, we seem to be on the same wavelength, saved me a couple of minutes to write basically the same thoughts.

Excellent post, you put it across a lot better than I would have.................:thumbsup:

1 hour ago, dick dasterdly said:

A main priority for Soi Dogs is neutering dogs - hence the free 'stations' set up every now and again in various areas offering a free neutering service ('cos let's be honest - most owned dogs run free, resulting in more soi dogs).

The idea does sound far-fetched as humans are too stupid to realise that dogs can do a great job in so many different ways.

I've learned to recognise my dogs 'snake bark' now (entirely different to 'people in the area' bark).

Its been shown that dogs can also detect cancer etc. in people - but we're too arrogant to train them as early warning systems other than for drugs at airports ....

12 minutes ago, KarenBravo said:

So, the dogs train the humans, then?

When they have superior abilities in certain respects - yes!

As pointed out previously (quoted above), dogs have far better sensors than people in some/most aspects - and yet we choose to ignore these inherent capabilities.  Why? 

9 minutes ago, maxcorrigan said:

A Cal.22 shot would be better!

Why on earth did you move here if you hate the 'way of life' (soi dogs are part of that) so much?

But this is way off topic and I understand that you didn't realise there were so many dogs without homes - or that dogs have FAR superior abilities in many ways that could be utilised very effectively to help people.

Unfortunately, the vast majority of people are so arrogant in their belief of 'superior species' - they are unable to accept the far simpler (but superior) ability of dogs to 'sniff out' various problems.

9 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

Why on earth did you move here if you hate the 'way of life' (soi dogs are part of that) so much?

But this is way off topic and I understand that you didn't realise there were so many dogs without homes - or that dogs have FAR superior abilities in many ways that could be utilised very effectively to help people.

Unfortunately, the vast majority of people are so arrogant in their belief of 'superior species' - they are unable to accept the far simpler (but superior) ability of dogs to 'sniff out' various problems.

When dogs fly to the moon, I will treat them as equals :saai:

2 hours ago, Bob12345 said:

You are allowed to partially quote as long as you do not alter the text or context.

No need to police fellow members by reporting them to admins just because you got an (in your opinion) unjust penalty.

3 hours ago, chrisinth said:

Bob, we seem to be on the same wavelength, saved me a couple of minutes to write basically the same thoughts.

Excellent post, you put it across a lot better than I would have.................:thumbsup:

So Bob u have a dog?

think how u explained it exactley  how it is  

1 hour ago, dick dasterdly said:

It was meant to be tongue in cheek, i like dogs as much as anybody!

I think animals are great, but I still have a grasp on reality. A lot of animal lovers have lost that. The very best thing for soi dogs would be a massive reduction in soi dogs.

Besides this favoritism of dogs has gone too far. When is someone going to stick up for the rats and cockroaches that are also spreading disease and infesting every corner of the country. Why just vests for dogs?

So Bob u have a dog?
  think how u explained it exactley  how it is  

Yes, i have a dog.

And i strongly believe that owning a dog comes with a great responsibility as dogs have rights also.

My dog gets walked 2-3 times a day (with a walk lasting about 30-45 minutes including 15 minutes of fetch twice a day), no matter the weather. She gets attention, a loving home, the right amount of quality food, medical attention/prevention, and training. That way she can have the life she is supposed to have, in my view at least.

Dogs living on the streets are better off in a dog shelter for 1-2 weeks to see if someone claims them and if not, they cannot be what they are ment to be (and should be adopted or put down). Domestic dogs should not have to fight to survive, live with skin deseases, have no loving home, and be kicked around by people who are annoyed by them.

And people should not live in areas with dogs roaming around without supervision. Running the risk of being attacked, having to clean up their mess, and hoping they dont cause accidents.

Just now, KarenBravo said:

My species flew to the moon in 1969.

When did your species get there?

but you personally didn't, so don't wear the laurels of someone else's success. It's just as funny as saying GB or France whatever won the 100 meter race, no they didn't, it was the person running who won.

1 hour ago, soalbundy said:

but you personally didn't, so don't wear the laurels of someone else's success. It's just as funny as saying GB or France whatever won the 100 meter race, no they didn't, it was the person running who won.

Oh.......lighten up for crissake.