SURVEY: Will the gov't have Yingluck extradited?

Scott

SURVEY: Will the gov't try to have Yingluck returned to Thailand?  

208 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

4 hours ago, Ulic said:

If she cools her heels in Dubai I doubt the Thai government

will do more than talk and pontificate. But if she tries to claim

political asylum in the UK all bets are off. They may well try

to have her extradited.

would she really be that stupid ?

29 minutes ago, Baerboxer said:

Yes, Gunna, and don't mention irrefutable inconvenient facts that irritate Shin apologists because it doesn't fit their agenda.

Even the BBC, on their timeline of events, showed her leaving office after being found guilty of an abuse of power by a court in May 2014, weeks before the coup.

But the Shin apologists want to pretend that never happened. They're not adult enough to deal with the reality.

It's like dealing with a wilful five year old.We all know the coup was conducted under instructions by the Constitutional Court, the same court that the Junta plans to use to strangle democracy in the future.The army generals finished the job.Different organisations but exactly the same agenda.

For those not blinded by prejudice the NYT provides a good summary.

https://www.nytimes.com/2014/05/08/world/asia/court-orders-thai-leader-removed-from-office.html

6 minutes ago, jayboy said:

It's like dealing with a wilful five year old.We all know the coup was conducted under instructions by the Constitutional Court, the same court that the Junta plans to use to strangle democracy in the future.The army generals finished the job.Different organisations but exactly the same agenda.

For those not blinded by prejudice the NYT provides a good summary.

https://www.nytimes.com/2014/05/08/world/asia/court-orders-thai-leader-removed-from-office.html

We all know you support the Shins whilst trying to gloss over the actual facts.

Do you deny that Yingluck committed an abuse of power, was tried, and convicted? Or do you support the notion that any Shin is above the law and can do as they wish?

It's like conveniently forgetting that when removed in 2006 Thaksin wasn't the legally the caretaker PM, having resigned and then seized the job back. 

But pretending otherwise is better propaganda.

You can keep on pretending that it's all so unfair. But if the Shins didn't break the laws they couldn't be found guilty.

Edited by Baerboxer

1 hour ago, Kieran00001 said:

What would be the point in trying?  There are not many countries that extradite people convicted of political crimes.

If they don't pull out all the stops to get her back, it would look like they were the ones behind her exit and that the legal action taken against her was nothing more than a political witch hunt. There is no good way out for them.

6 hours ago, Ulic said:

But if she tries to claim

political asylum in the UK all bets are off. They may well try

to have her extradited.

Uh Oh, when the Big Thai Extradition Machine gets cranked up, all bets are off. Of course, they will likely wait until they have extradited her brother ....  Oh yeah, that extradition is coming,  and right soon. :smile:

Edited by LomSak27

At most  she will be on a blue notice. TS has not even been on a blue notice so I think its a win/win situation. Almost every general that took over Thailand has the firm believe that he has to run for an election one day even if he gets a wanking after the ballots. With TS and YS gone I do hope that the Shinawatra's stay out of politics and make the right offer to sell PTP to the chap in Buriram which would be acceptable to the generals and of course to the other group we are not allowed to discuss.

5 hours ago, djjamie said:

I am sure she is alive. This govt have not resorted to murdering voices that speak out against them. 

Unlike others.

Can you be quite sure of this? The case of the disappeared redshirt exile KoTee has already gone off the radar and has not been resolved in any way. Certainly, the Thai government I think would have in normal practice the obligation to follow up on any case where a crime may have been committed against a citizen domiciled in another country even when that citizen is perceived as an opponent of the country. As would any government.  I haven't seen anything that makes it seem as though they are doing this. Have they asked Laos to investigate and inform them of the results? Not that I've seen. KoTee seems to be regarded by the government in the same way as they regard historic plaques that disappear from Bangkok streets. 

11 hours ago, AgMech Cowboy said:

I know CNN the #1, maybe #2, channel&website for fake news and I shouldn't believe them, but:

http://www.cnn.com/2017/08/25/asia/yingluck-shinawatra-flees-thailand/index.html

"Yingluck left Thailand on Wednesday and is now "safe and sound" in Dubai, the source said."

Yes, the infamous "source" has informed us, so it must be true.

I wish people would educate themselves as to what ' fake news '.

Clue , it is not what Donald Trump pretends it to be.

11 hours ago, Gunna said:

Another one who repeats the lie that that the army kicked her out of office.

She was found guilty by the Constitutional Court and removed from office some 2 weeks before the coup .

Her government WAS kicked out of office by the army. You can't deny facts. Prayuth and CO illegally seized power. Why do you think it was called a coup ?

8 hours ago, Baerboxer said:

Yes, Gunna, and don't mention irrefutable inconvenient facts that irritate Shin apologists because it doesn't fit their agenda.

Even the BBC, on their timeline of events, showed her leaving office after being found guilty of an abuse of power by a court in May 2014, weeks before the coup.

But the Shin apologists want to pretend that never happened. They're not adult enough to deal with the reality.

But dear Bearboxer, you failed to mention she was replaced by another PM. I understand the need to downplay the illegal seizure of power by the NCPO, but the indisputable facts are, that seizure was illegal. The legitimate government of Thailand, with a clear cut majority of 300 out of 500 seats was deposed illegaly by the NCPO. No bickering or silly comments will ever change that fact.

That Yingluck herself was put out of office by the "impartial" constitutional court, does not mean, the power seize was legal or justified. 

Of course, standing trial is not an option for the perpetrators since they awarded themsleves total amnesty for past and future crimes. You know the stuff that Shin opponents were so up in arms about....

Edited by sjaak327

7 hours ago, Baerboxer said:

Do you deny that Yingluck committed an abuse of power, was tried, and convicted? Or do you support the notion that any Shin is above the law and can do as they wish?

It's like conveniently forgetting that when removed in 2006 Thaksin wasn't the legally the caretaker PM, having resigned and then seized the job back. 

You can keep on pretending that it's all so unfair. But if the Shins didn't break the laws they couldn't be found guilty.

Thanks for the last paragraph , I needed a good chuckle , that was epic kindegarten logic. I envy you , a closed mind must make life so simple.

1 minute ago, naboo said:

Why would they try, when they know all other countries will see this as a political conviction and so refuse to comply? Ridiculous poll.

Because they have to, for the reason you have cited. If not, it makes a mockery of them and their 'rule of law' and their adherence to 'international standards' of behaviour. 

They either have to stand loud and proud or risk further marginalisation at home and abroad. They look shafted to me one way or another.

17 hours ago, lkv said:

They will make the same effort to extradite her as they did with her brother, let's put it this way.

Uh oh.  Now we are going to have to put up with Press Releases for years, about how they might extradite, or how they could extradite, and of course absolutely nothing will happen. The only one officially issued against Thaksin was Cambodia . They knew it would never be honored so... just the usual window dressing.

That's odd! Because the way i remember it! She was given a time frame to step down from her position! Then she refused using all sorts of excuses about the riots and democracy and her pledges.. All exacly as stated! EXCUSES!
It was not until the military forcibly removed her that she relinquished her already terminated position.

13 hours ago, Baerboxer said:

You have all the answers and are never open to discussion - so why should I bother with you.You probably don't understand what a prescriptive definition is but, in brief, it's not grownup to pose a riidiculously simplified/misleading question and then expect a yes or no answer.The reality is that the regime had a vicious vendetta against Yingluck and enjoined the pliable Thai courts to its purpose.If you only knew, even her enemies understand that.

You talk so imprecisely that it's difficult to comment.What do you mean by "support the Shins"? Only the simpleminded or fanatics would fail to grasp there is a distinction between supporting the Thai people's fight for democracy and supporting the Shins.We know the faults of the latter but for the time being they provide leadership,Soon there will be others with a less flawed background.

What grounds would the government have for extradition? She was not charged with fraud, corruption or anything that would be recognised as a crime in another country….. 

Methinks she was facilitated with an opportunity (to do a runner) that she was wise to take. With her bank a/c billions already frozen, pending seizure, and the prospect of doing time in a less than pleasant, overcrowded jail, she had little left to lose within Thailand.

18 hours ago, worgeordie said:

I suspect the Government aided her escape,so no they will not really attempt

to extradite her,about on the lines of catching "Boss",huffing and puffing,but

nothing will happen.

regards worgeordie

Boss, the UFO-monk, Taksin, Yinluck....they better buy there own country somewhere and start all over there.

That's odd! Because the way i remember it! She was given a time frame to step down from her position! Then she refused using all sorts of excuses about the riots and democracy and her pledges.. All exacly as stated! EXCUSES!
It was not until the military forcibly removed her that she relinquished her already terminated position.

That's odd because I seem to remember her leaving office when the court ruled that she should

There were all sorts of ultimata, threats and demands issued prior to that, mainly bellowed through a microphone by Suthep, and for the most part demanding that she should hand over the government to him and his mates...

22 hours ago, klauskunkel said:

I think the government will allot funds and manpower to the "Get Yingluck Back Home" Project. And I think the general who gets to oversee said project will be smiling a lot.

No doubt, they will hire Somchai, the janitor for that, and allot as much as 25 baht for Yingluck's capture. And yes, lots of smiling in group pictures, with the obligatory ladyboy in tight uniform...

Frankly, who cares - unless the script is compelled by its own twisted logic to create a violent showdown in free fall? 

With the unintentional aid of the last coup, Thai society - the nation - seems to have come polarised. Two extremes in visions of Future Thailand.

I get the feeling (purely as an outsider) that there are more similarities than differences in the visions of offer. Not reassuring.

Likewise, it seems the reconciliation project was a complete flop, if it ever existed beyond already archived office reports and drafts.

I would expect the internet (and global communication links) will become a huge player in local politics in time, a reality that politicians and other authorities don't seem to have addressed. People are gaining all sorts of unexpected knowledge and new understandings never available before.