Swiss Woman Passes Off Thai Photog's Work, Wins Awards

snoop1130

Swiss Woman Passes Off Thai Photog's Work, Wins Awards

By Chayanit Itthipongmaetee, Staff Reporter

children-1822662_1280-696x464.jpg

Sasin Tipchai's untitled image, one of 229 of his images hosted by Pixabay. The site offers it for editorial use without attribution or compensation.

BANGKOK — A Swiss photographer was stripped of two international photo awards after it came to light she passed off a Thai photographer’s images as her own.

Madeleine Josephine Fierz, who won first prize at the Moscow International Foto Awards and took second place at the Fine Art Photo Awards earlier this year, was disqualified Sunday night after it came out the original images had been downloaded from Pixabay, where they had been posted by photographer Sasin Tipchai.

Full Story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/life/arts/2017/08/28/swiss-woman-stripped-awards-passing-off-thai-photogs-work/

khaosodeng_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Khaosod English 2017-8-28

2 hours ago, seminomadic said:

Me too. I think the kids in the pic might be retarded.

They were just kids doing as they were told, it was the photographer who told them to flog the river with a chicken, sick.  Don't click the link above unless you want to ruin your night with images of tortured elephants and incarcerated cattle.

1 hour ago, Boycie said:

If anyone else is thinking like myself,  'i wonder what Sasin Tipchai other 228 images i like' i'll save you the trouble of googling. Excellent images, well worth a look

https://pixabay.com/en/users/sasint-3639875/

THX,...some great pics indeed !!!

3 hours ago, Kieran00001 said:

Do they all involve chicken abuse?

Yes, the Swiss woman was choking the Thai photog's chicken.

"Did you take this photo?"

"Yes."

"Where did you take it?"
"I took it off the internet."

1 hour ago, janclaes47 said:

I think most Thais are not that obsessed by political correctness.

It's not PC to be against animal abuse, it's know as having a conscience and knowing the difference between right and wrong. . 

19 minutes ago, steven100 said:

another PC brigade member ....   jeeze ....  the chicken is fine, it's at home now laying eggs for god sake.  lol

As I already asked, what do you think chicken abuse has to do with politics, or did you think you could label all the low moraled things you tolerate as being PC?  And I very much doubt that cockerel is laying any eggs, youre in need of a birds and the bees refresher course.

11 hours ago, Next stop NK said:

Must be a first, a foreigner copying / using a photo, video, design etc as her own, not vice versa

Exactly what I thought when I saw the headline.

I wonder if Thais understand the irony. (Or would they instead say "copying is wrong, a Thai would never do this".)

1 minute ago, BangkokReady said:

Exactly what I thought when I saw the headline.

I wonder if Thais understand the irony. (Or would they instead say "copying is wrong, a Thai would never do this".)

Might some of you you be defending outright 'Image Theft' in this case because 'Thai's infringe on Copyright' ???... 

A somewhat juvenile response. Yes, Thai's have atrocious record of infringing on Intellectual Property rights, however, this mans work was stollen, because the Moral Compass with regards to IP rights in Thailand is highly distorted it doesn't make it acceptable.

This 'they don't like it when it happens to them' approach is retarded.... 

15 hours ago, Boycie said:

If anyone else is thinking like myself,  'i wonder what Sasin Tipchai other 228 images i like' i'll save you the trouble of googling. Excellent images, well worth a look

https://pixabay.com/en/users/sasint-3639875/

Thank you for the link.

There are some beautiful photos there.

I have to admit though that I am not PC nor do I care that much about them either.

21 hours ago, Kieran00001 said:

I feel sorry for the chicken, how many times did it get it dunked in the river to get that shot?

I could not figure out what that was, thanks.

4 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Might some of you you be defending outright 'Image Theft' in this case because 'Thai's infringe on Copyright' ???... 

Steal an idea, steal an invention, steal a song, steal a photograph. What is your reasoning that makes one of these so worse than the other? It's all stealing something somebody created and then passing it off as your own, perhaps you just find the the photograph has more impact on you because it seems more tangible and you lack the imagination or intelligence to see they are all the same?

And no one is defending it you moron.

A somewhat juvenile response. Yes, Thai's have atrocious record of infringing on Intellectual Property rights, however, this mans work was stollen, because the Moral Compass with regards to IP rights in Thailand is highly distorted it doesn't make it acceptable.

They are the same, but neither are acceptable. What made you think anyone is saying it is acceptable? Just because you point out an ironic situation because Thais do the same thing all the time, doesn't mean you are saying any of it is acceptable.

This 'they don't like it when it happens to them' approach is retarded.... 

Says a response is juvenile and then calls someone retarded because they don't like what they say.

Interesting.