Pattaya tunnel: motorbikes and speedsters openly disobeying the law

webfact

Fines ARE sent by post (I've received a few) and they have been doing so since at least 2013. If fines remain unpaid, next year's registration will be inhibited.

Assuming that the owner has bothered to register his bike.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Techno Viking said:

possibly because the tunnel is a feeder to the 7 motorway and bikes are forbidden on that (and yet I see many !!).

Only riding mostly on the shoulders before they reach the Laem Chabang interchange. They are working to make the motorway a full tollway between Lad Krabang and Pattaya, once the entire Pattaya to Laem Chabang section has been made limited entry and with the entrances and exits controlled by toll gates, no more motorcycles will be allowed on. These changes should be completed within the next few months.

2 minutes ago, johng said:

And again why are they prohibited on a motorway ?
Other countries allow bikes on the motorways, in the UK any bike over 50cc is allowed !

Possibly because British motoryclists are responsible and actually obey the road rules.

1 minute ago, giddyup said:

Fines ARE sent by post (I've received a few) and they have been doing so since at least 2013. If fines remain unpaid, next year's registration will be inhibited.

Assuming that the owner has bothered to register his bike.

We're talking about cars. As I said, all the speed cameras (and red light cameras) I've seen are rear facing, so they can only capture the front number plates. Thai motorcycles don't have front number plates (unlike in Malaysia) so they can't be caught by cameras until they finally install cameras that can capture both forward and rear facing number plates.

BTW I don't think unregistered motorcycles are as big an issue as you are making them out to be. 99.9% of motorcycles I see on the roads here have a number plate attached.

2 minutes ago, jimster said:

We're talking about cars. As I said, all the speed cameras (and red light cameras) I've seen are rear facing, so they can only capture the front number plates. Thai motorcycles don't have front number plates (unlike in Malaysia) so they can't be caught by cameras until they finally install cameras that can capture both forward and rear facing number plates.

BTW I don't think unregistered motorcycles are as big an issue as you are making them out to be. 99.9% of motorcycles I see on the roads here have a number plate attached.

Does an attached number plate actually mean the bike/car is registered/taxed? That plate may have been on there for years without paying road tax yearly.

Khon Kaen has an 80kph speed limit, go above 80 and you will get a speed ticket! Thai or Farang, if they can do this in the boondocks surely they can do the same here, Cameras BIB, cameras, or does that money go to a different cause in Pattaya?

14 minutes ago, jimster said:

Since the scooters aren't allowed on that section of road at all, seems pretty easy to just forget measuring what speed they're traveling and shoot a photo from behind.  In fact, hi-res video and just pay someone a percentage to sit and catch the plate numbers.  They could provide and pay for jobs for dozens of locals just watching the videos.

Edited by impulse

45 minutes ago, kotsak said:

It would have been news if they had obeyed the law..

pity but true; i honestly do not think a very large percentage of thais know what law is

;might be real handy to clue in those education ministry dinosaurs to add that to their effectiveless curriculum

57 minutes ago, jimster said:

The only speeding ticket I ever got in the mail in Thailand showed my rear number plate. That was over 3 years ago.

50 minutes ago, CGW said:

Khon Kaen has an 80kph speed limit, go above 80 and you will get a speed ticket! Thai or Farang, if they can do this in the boondocks surely they can do the same here, Cameras BIB, cameras, or does that money go to a different cause in Pattaya?

And that is truly evidence of proper, western-style enforcement and it is all done by speed camera and ticket in the mail. No useless plod standing at the side with a radar gun and a book of tickets. Anyone got a KK speeding ticket? Is it issued by the local cops or the city? It seems way, way too efficient and regulated to be run by the local clown constabulary. Maybe it's run by the city and cops have bugger all to do with the gravy train? Certainly a considerable investment in technology as it covers a huge length of the Mitrapharp Highway 2 on either side of KK.  Must be over 20 km no?

It's just what's needed for the drag strip between the Theprassit traffic lights, past the aquarium and makro to the Chaiyapruek lights and beyond, past the Floating Bunghole all the way the Huay Yai traffic lights. That's only about 6 km total.

1 hour ago, Techno Viking said:

ohh ok, before it was officially opened an not from any official source or even a news outlet.

funny that there has been some semi decent downfalls since it opened though and no reports of closure.................. I wonder why that is.

Not before officially opened.

It was opened on Friday and the event was Saturday.

I came there when it happened and the large LED sign said , we have accident don't enter.

Not before officially opened.

It was opened on Friday and the event was Saturday.

I came there when it happened and the large LED sign said , we have accident don't enter.

I saw that sign on Sat morning and just assumed it was typical Thai bad grammar as had that text on the left and motorbike with line through on the right - tunnel was open though as I went through about 10am.

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

4 hours ago, stanleycoin said:

Ps, don't see why bikes cant use it anyway,  but rules are rules,

even if they are only for us.  TIT.

quite correct, cannot think of one reason why motorbikes are not allowed 

3 hours ago, giddyup said:

The road has an 80kmh speed limit, a speed which any motorcycle and readily achieve... I just don't understand why motorcycles of any type would be prevented from passing through the tunnel.

Maybe because motorbikes don't have the same problem with traffic jams as do motor vehicles. Also, they would be just another hazard in the tunnel.

It's not the bikes that are hazard, it's the idiots driving cars and riding bikes that are the hazards and that applies to all nationalities.

1 hour ago, NanLaew said:

The only speeding ticket I ever got in the mail in Thailand showed my rear number plate. That was over 3 years ago.

Agreed - and red light cameras also show the rear plate........

4 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Can anyone think of any logical reason why Motocycles cannot use the tunnel ?

The road has an 80kmh speed limit, a speed which any motorcycle and readily achieve... I just don't understand why motorcycles of any type would be prevented from passing through the tunnel.

The OP says " ... Local road representative Phinit Maneerat ... said the restrictions put in place were designed to limit accidents".

Don't know what this tunnel passes under but I bet it's a busy junction of two busy roads.

Wouldn't it be far more dangerous and likely to increase accidents by making bikes use the busy junction rather than the tunnel? Surely, if they really wanted to limit accidents, bikes would be encouraged to use the tunnel. 

3 hours ago, jimster said:

What are you talking about? It already exists, but doesn't work for motorcycles, because the cameras can only capture forward facing number plates.

Secondly, why are you advocating a system where the police will seize a vehicle of someone who has no insurance at the next junction? Such a draconian system doesn't even exist in police states like the USA or Australia.

Whatever they have here is not an A N P R system per'se .. Do the Thai licensing authorities ruthlessly enforce change of vehicle ownership .. Do they cross-ref that the new owner has a licence and the correct licence and insurance for what they have become the owner of .. What percentage of the vehicles used on the road in Thailand are even fully registered .. Databases that carry all that sort of information are required for an A N P R system to work effectively and for that effectiveness to continue are without mercy when it comes to changes of ownership , having correct license , insurance ( or not having insurance ) etc .. Such is the level of intergration of these d-b's in Britland now they enforce red light jumping and runners , no U turn's , box junctions , speeding etc etc .. Petrol stations can access the systems to report anyone who drives off with out paying for their gas , Supermarkets access them to enforce parking reg's .. As for catching motorcycles fitted with a rear plate only the pic shows Cam gantries snapping traffic moving away are just as effective as forward facing .. And the BMW squad car is every motorist law breakers nightmare as it can sit at the side of the road and nick you coming towards , going away from it or will simply follow you and before its even stopped you it will know everything about you , Name , address insurance , licence .. I was not advocating the seizing of vehicles for not being insured I merely pointed out that is what a lot of police will do if an uninsured vehicle is flagged up  

.. But how else would you expect the Fed's to deal with it .?  Just give you a telling off and tell you to buy some when you get home .? Vehicle seizure is harsh some may say but the consequence for someone getting clattered by an uninsured driver are or can be a lot harsher .. 

_20170829_140739.JPG

_20170829_151408.JPG

Edited by Justgrazing
Spelling

2 hours ago, NanLaew said:

And that is truly evidence of proper, western-style enforcement and it is all done by speed camera and ticket in the mail. No useless plod standing at the side with a radar gun and a book of tickets. Anyone got a KK speeding ticket? Is it issued by the local cops or the city? It seems way, way too efficient and regulated to be run by the local clown constabulary. Maybe it's run by the city and cops have bugger all to do with the gravy train? Certainly a considerable investment in technology as it covers a huge length of the Mitrapharp Highway 2 on either side of KK.  Must be over 20 km no?

It's just what's needed for the drag strip between the Theprassit traffic lights, past the aquarium and makro to the Chaiyapruek lights and beyond, past the Floating Bunghole all the way the Huay Yai traffic lights. That's only about 6 km total.

From what I have seen that section of Mitrapharp highway is the best "policed" road in Thailand - so it can be done!

My car has a speed limiter, this is the only area that I ever use it!

As with all supposed improvements to infra-structure.......they are F**** up big time just because of the general ignorance of the Thai AS WELL as many farang. 

I was about to say: maybe law-enforcement should draw a picture, but the sign above Sukhumvit says it clearly enough. 

8 hours ago, Justgrazing said:

There is such a system called A N P R ( automatic number plate recognition ) But it would never work here as it requires ruthless enforcement of vehicles , driver , insurance databases as the A N P R system is constantly cross referencing vehicles it views with said databases .. In an instant .. Transgressors are hit with a fine automatically sent by post and in the case of no insurance the police will be waiting at the next jct for you to seize the vehicle .. It is a an uncompromising system that gives near 100% enforcement of laws and rules governing traffic so wouldn't work here .. 

I think you missed Impulse's humour.

10 hours ago, giddyup said:

Maybe because motorbikes don't have the same problem with traffic jams as do motor vehicles. Also, they would be just another hazard in the tunnel.

I can hit 80km/h on my motorcycle, but if cars are flying through there at over 80km/h, I'm happy to stay out of there and so should all other small bikes if they know what's good for them (which of course they don't).

Thailand is constantly trying to claim they are the "Hub" "center" of everything SEA and yet they still will not allow a large motorbike on the motorway/tollways and will not allow any MB in an underpass 

forward modern Thailand at work..............not

oh and wait until next month when in their wisdom they plan to increase drink prices by (I am told) 30%, modern thinking Thailand are also about to destroy the tourist industry....go figure

if you cannot afford to buy submarines then ....don't buy them

some very stupid things going on here - thailand will be left behind if they don't start thinking about what they are doing...........modern Thailand ? it should be but something went wrong and continues to go wrong, yes motorbikes in an underpass is no real biggie ...............but why in the modern world were Thailand keeps claiming to be a leader are they so far behind