North Korea accuses U.S. of driving peninsula to "explosion"

snoop1130

North Korea accuses U.S. of driving peninsula to "explosion"

By Stephanie Nebehay

2017-08-29T095655Z_1_LYNXNPED7S0JP_RTROPTP_3_NORTHKOREA-UN.JPG

FILE PHOTO: North Korea's ambassador to the United Nations Han Tae Song speaks during an interview with Reuters in Geneva, Switzerland, June 20, 2017. REUTERS/Pierre Albouy/Files

GENEVA (Reuters) - North Korea accused the United States on Tuesday of driving the Korean peninsula towards "an extreme level of explosion" and declared that it was justified in responding with "tough counter-measures".

The combative statement came hours North Korea fired a ballistic missile over Japan's northern Hokkaido island into the sea, drawing a sharp reaction from Japan, the United States, South Korea and other states.

Han Tae Song, North Korea's ambassador to the U.N. in Geneva, did not explicitly refer to his country's latest test. But he said U.S. "pressure and provocative acts" would only give his country grounds to take unspecified measures.

"It is an undeniable fact that the U.S. is driving the situation of the Korean peninsula towards an extreme level of explosion by deploying huge strategic assets around the peninsula, by conducting a series of nuclear war drills and maintaining nuclear freeze and blackmail for over half a century," Han told the Conference on Disarmament in Geneva.

Fears have grown over North Korea's development of missiles and nuclear weapons since Pyongyang test-launched intercontinental ballistic missiles (ICBMs) in July. Those fears worsened after Trump warned that North Korea would face "fire and fury" if it threatened the United States.

Joint U.S.-South Korea military drills, currently taking place on the peninsula, are part of "long-standing U.S. hostile policy" towards the Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK), Han said.

"Now that the U.S. has openly declared its hostile intention towards the Democratic People's Republic of Korea, by waging aggressive joint military exercises despite repeated warnings... my country has every reason to respond with tough counter-measures as an exercise of its right to self defence," Han said.

"And the U.S. should be wholly responsible for the catastrophic consequences it will entail."

U.S. disarmament ambassador Robert Wood, speaking to reporters, said that North Korea's test was "another provocation" and "big concern" to be discussed by the U.N. Security Council later in the day.

"My country and I know a number of other countries are going to continue to demand that North Korea ends these provocative acts and take a different path," Wood told the forum.

The United States has "an iron-clad commitment to its allies", he added.

Both Wood and South Korea's envoy Kim Inchul called for Pyongyang to resume talks on giving up its nuclear arsenal.

"Denuclearisation is the only way forward to guarantee security and economic viability instead of continuing with provocations which are unacceptable," Kim said.

Japan's envoy Nobushige Takamizawa condemned the missile test noting it also posed a danger to aviation and navigation.

(Reporting by Stephanie Nebehay; Editing by Robin Pomeroy)

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2017-8-29

10 minutes ago, ilostmypassword said:

Or his big fat antagonist.

Just wait until he tells NK they have to pay for the anti-ballistic missiles that will surround their country.  It worked so well with Mexico.

Maybe this is what the Fat Kid is thinking:

I'll be squirreled away in my secret mega-bunker, with endless amounts of French cognac and American action videos.   I'll egg on Dumbo Trump, who will bomb my country.  Then, when the smoke clears, Europe, the US, and possibly China will come in to infuse tens of billions of dollars to rebuild everything.  

It kinda happened after WWII, and look at how well Japan's and Germany's economies flourished.

2 hours ago, boomerangutang said:

Maybe this is what the Fat Kid is thinking:

He's been doing what has worked for his father and grandfather before him: make insane threats and the world trembles.  Now he has a world leader using his own kind of yap against him, which none of his forebears had to face, and you know he has to be freaking out.  I would guess Kim dot Bomb has to change his knickers hourly these days.

These continued missiles tests may pay off soon, when they run out of missiles.

2 hours ago, Ruffian Dick said:

I have no idea what he thinks his end-game looks like. Maybe the idea of "goal" doesn't even enter his brain.

No point trying to rationalize the thinking of someone as far gone as Kim.  In fact, assuming he'll react rationally and sanely is probably dangerous.  The nuclear extortion scheme isn't working as well as in the past - no telling where that frustration leads.  (But we can now see clearly where giving in to it has gotten us; no surprise to those with cerebral bloodflow.)

12 hours ago, BuaBS said:

If he destroys the obvious & easiest target Seoul , he has won.

may be not.

How could they allow him to get this far? He has been threatening for a long time.  It was clear that it would get serious when he has his hands on nukes and missiles.

When the cops have a dangerous madman to deal with, they don't poke him with a sharp stick to see how he reacts, they don't yell at him and threaten him, they talk in gentle reassuring tones, and get him to put the gun down before anyone gets hurt.

Then of course grab him and lock him up...

5 hours ago, Ruffian Dick said:

When the cops have a dangerous madman to deal with, they don't poke him with a sharp stick to see how he reacts, they don't yell at him and threaten him, they talk in gentle reassuring tones, and get him to put the gun down before anyone gets hurt.

Then of course grab him and lock him up...

Which is why he isnt putting the gun down

On ‎8‎/‎31‎/‎2017 at 9:44 AM, Ruffian Dick said:

And how would an adult deal with it?

LOL.  Interesting discussion.  Like Kim is nothing more than some stubborn, recalcitrant child who merely needs a supervising "adult" to give him a timeout and a sentence to write 100x on the blackboard.  I'm not sure you're quite grasping the situation here.   And though it was an extremely predictable outcome to have spent all these years "talking in gentle reassuring tones" (and if there was ONE thing the boy statesman WAS good at....), that just doesn't quite capture both sides of the narrative either.

1 hour ago, hawker9000 said:

LOL.  Interesting discussion.  Like Kim is nothing more than some stubborn, recalcitrant child who merely needs a supervising "adult" to give him a timeout and a sentence to write 100x on the blackboard.  I'm not sure you're quite grasping the situation here.   And though it was an extremely predictable outcome to have spent all these years "talking in gentle reassuring tones" (and if there was ONE thing the boy statesman WAS good at....), that just doesn't quite capture both sides of the narrative either.

You're suggesting that you have the answer. Does it involve more bombs?