New immigration form goes into effect in October

Jonathan Fairfield

New immigration form goes into effect in October

05dda23f8e0c612259323b37594824f4.jpeg

A new immigration form will replace the existing one on October 1 in line with a Cabinet resolution in January approving a Tourism and Sports Ministry request for changes to the “TM6” form.

Following that request, Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha in July instructed the Immigration Bureau to decide whether to cancel the requirement for visitors to use the TM6 form as part of measures to improve immigration procedures at airports and reduce waiting times. 

Prayut then signed an order on August 4 to issue a ministerial regulation to cancel the existing form and replace it with a new one. However, the Cabinet resolution allows the use of the old TM6 form, which has two separate sections for arrivals and departures, to be used until September 30.  

The Ministry of Tourism and Sports requested the delay until the end of September to adjust to the new form to help the agency analyse and plan tourism marketing strategies.  

The new form has only one side for visitors to record both arrival and departure information, with an “automatic channel” barcode for more convenience. 

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/national/30323322

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-08-09

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have always thought they could save an immense amount of time at immigration, if they only used this for people who do not already have a visa. Given that if you have a visa, they already have all of your details anyway. So reserve this only for the 30 day/15 day on arrival stamps. Massive time savings going in and out of the country, and loads of money saved for the Thais. Probably contains too much common sense to be seriously considered here though.

This is nuts. It's the same thing but squeezed into half the size!

50% chance the whole idea is forgotten and they stick with what they have had for decades.

I hope so any way as I have about 20 of the old ones already pre-filled. :shock1:

Okay, so basically nothing has been changed.

The current form consists of 2 equally large sheets, one for arrival, the other for departure.

The new one is divided into an arrival and departure information section crammed onto 1 single sheet. I can even see a perforated line where the form can be separated so the arrival portion can be kept by immigration and the departure portion in the passport.

The only thing different is that the space provided to fill in the information looks miniscule, provided the form has the same size as the current one.

And let's wait and see how well that "automatic channel bar code" will work. Is everybody allowed to use the automated channels on departure? 

They changed the form so they can acquire additional information, such as:

Facebook account, Bank account number, Body-bag size (only for visits to Kho Tao), Fingerprints, Shoe size, YouTube account, High School GPA, etc, etc....

Furthermore, on the backside of the form you must write a short essay expressing your love for Thailand and what a wonderful country it is.

When are they going to do something really radical & introduce electronic Passport ID????  

This is simply continuation of an antiquated system, certainly will not improve ingoing/outgoing traffic flow....

Just another example of change for the sake of it. And to show that the beribboned ones are improving things. In more than two decades I have never entered the same information on each successive form, but TAT users that fake news to analyse tourism data. Rotf.

this is all the effect of corruption.

the Thais don't want a modern "bullet proof" immigration system.

they want a system that can be manipulated for profit my various individuals as the need arises. No one wants a computer record or log of their actions.

34 minutes ago, Ricardo said:

So will this new form also update the Immigration computer-system, so that we can stop reporting our return for TM30, as well ? :wink:

No. 

How many per cent of the foreigners arriving in Thailand ever see a TM.30?

Cancel the old one that causes delays and replace it with a NEW ONE.

Makes perfect sense

SMH

Throw this one out together with that 90-day check in and I'll be a happy man.  

Looks even worse than the existing one: The usual questions PLUS Telephone Number, Email and length of stay. Whatever prompted these changes, convenience for the traveller certainly was not one of them.

What happens if you don't want to give your email address? Refusal of admission?

To me this looks like that intrusive form which was quietly abandoned a while ago, implemented more sneakily...

Archived