'Plot To Blow Up Planes' Foiled

udon

'Plot to blow up planes' foiled

A major terrorist plot to blow up planes in mid-flight has been disrupted, Scotland Yard has said.

It is thought the plan was to detonate explosive devices smuggled on aircraft in hand luggage, with flights from the UK to the US being targeted.

During the night, police arrested a number of people in London after a counter-terrorist operation they said had lasted several months.

Security at all airports in the UK has been tightened and delays are expected.

Scotland Yard said in a statement: "We would like to reassure the public that this operation was carried out with public safety uppermost in our minds.

"This is a major operation which inevitably will be lengthy and complex."

The Department for Transport set out the details of the security measures at UK airports.

Transparent bags

Passengers will not be allowed to take any hand luggage on to any flights in the UK, the department said.

Only the barest essentials - including passports and wallets - will be allowed to be carried on board in transparent plastic bags.

"We hope that these measures, which are being kept under review by the government, will need to be in place for a limited period only," the statement said.

BBC journalist Joe Lynam encountered the increased security measures at Gatwick airport.

"I was handed a piece of paper saying that pretty much nothing could be taken on board the plane," he said.

"Everything had to be checked in and that includes mobile phones, ipods, wallets - even spectacle cases had to be checked in."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/2/hi/uk_news/4778575.stm

Published: 2006/08/10 05:24:30 GMT

© BBC MMVI

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Whilst I appreciate the need for increased security, banning of hand baggage???

What is the insurance position for all those laptops, cameras, jewelry etc etc that are now passing through the sticky mitts of the baggage handlers, not necessarily in the UK but at destination airports (BKK??).

Whilst I appreciate the need for increased security, banning of hand baggage???

What is the insurance position for all those laptops, cameras, jewelry etc etc that are now passing through the sticky mitts of the baggage handlers, not necessarily in the UK but at destination airports (BKK??).

Just be thankfull you got to your destination airport. Think I would rather lose my laptop than my life!

Well done to the anti terrorist police,

Just be thankfull you got to your destination airport. Think I would rather lose my laptop than my life!

True, given the choice, but the bomb that was going to be in the overhead bin is now in the hold, is this any safer?

EDIT: Meanwhile, are passengers who do NOT wish to check in their valuables being allowed refunds or alternative flight dates (after all the fuss dies down).

Edited by Crossy

True, given the choice, but the bomb that was going to be in the overhead bin is now in the hold, is this any safer?

EDIT: Meanwhile, are passengers who do NOT wish to check in their valuables being allowed refunds or alternative flight dates (after all the fuss dies down).

I'm not an expert but I think hold baggage is scaned for explosives with hight tec equipment and sniffed by dogs.

Hand baggage only has to go through the scanner that only detects visable things like guns knifes life threatening nail clippers.

This is Thai related because you can best believe all international travel will be affected.

This means you can't buy a book or any of the duty free items before a flight unless they develop a checkin procedure for airport purchases.

I don't like that I have to part with my wallet and computer on a flight. In Thailand trips in particular.

I am sure Thailand airport has handlers with sticky fingers. I know of 2 occasions where items came up missing.

Heathrow shut to incoming flights

Passengers are being asked to be patient when facing delays

Heathrow Airport has been closed to all incoming flights that are not already in the air, following a police anti-terror operation.

Stringent security measures have been put in place at airports across the UK.

Passengers are being asked to check in all hand baggage except for some essential items and travellers are experiencing long delays.

Flights from Brussels to all London airports have been cancelled. Lufthansa has also cancelled flights to the UK.

BAA strongly advises all passengers not to travel to Heathrow airport unless the journey is essential and there is an increased police presence at London Underground stations leading to the airport.

Long delays

Heathrow management took the decision to close to all flights not already in the air due to the congestion at the airport.

Manchester Airport have said there are delays on all flights of between one and three hours.

Donald Morrison, a spokesman for BAA at Glasgow Airport, said there would be delays at security for all passengers.

"We are bringing in additional security staff as we speak and we are hoping that passengers will be able to pass through security safely and swiftly but we would advise passengers to give themselves extra time when they come to the airport."

Significant delays

Transport Secretary Douglas Alexander said all airports and airlines operating into and out of the UK would be on a heightened state of security.

"Maximum security unfortunately will involve immediate and severe disruptions for passengers with significant delays likely at all UK airports," he said.

"What these changes mean in practice is that all hand baggage will now have to be checked in with only a small number of essential items allowed through search controls.

"Exceptions will be in place for those travelling with infants and for prescription medicines.

"Extra security arrangements will be in place for flights to the United States."

Passengers are being asked to check in most items of baggage, apart from wallets and purses, identity and travel documents, prescription medicines, spectacles and sunglasses and keys.

Those travelling with children will be allowed items essential for children on the flight.

and ...

'Plot to blow up planes' foiled

All airports have been put under the restrictions

(The Bruiser) Reid statement

A terrorist plot to blow up planes in mid-flight from the UK to the US has been disrupted, Scotland Yard has said.

It is thought the plan was to detonate up to three explosive devices smuggled on aircraft in hand luggage.

Police have arrested about 18 people in the London area after an anti-terrorist operation lasting several months :o

from Aunty....

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4778575.stm

Just viewed the scenes at Heathrow....... Chaotic is the only word to use.

The (18+) suspects are alleged to plan to take small amounts of explosives in hand luggage, combine the small amounts and blow themselves up in flight.

ALL flights out of the UK are affected (pls note, Mr Tokyo)

The suspects are all British born Muslims........ Again!

Speculation: What kind of group could be behind this plan to blow up planes and kill innocent people?

A) a group of rowdy rugby players?,

:o Mel Gibson supporters demanding his release from rehab?,

C) Some crazy University science class students?

For what purpose does it serve?

:o

With immediate effect, the following arrangements apply to all passengers starting their journey at a UK airport and to those transferring between flights at a UK airport. :D

All cabin baggage must be processed as hold baggage and carried in the hold of passenger aircraft departing UK airports.

Passengers may take through the airport security search point, in a single (ideally transparent) plastic carrier bag, only the following items.

Nothing may be carried in pockets: :D

Pocket-size wallets and pocket-size purses plus contents (for example money, credit cards, identity cards etc (not handbags)

Travel documents essential for the journey (for example passports and travel tickets)

Prescription medicines and medical items sufficient and essential for the flight (eg, diabetic kit), except in liquid form unless verified as authentic

Spectacles and sunglasses, without cases

Contact lens holders, without bottles of solution

For those travelling with an infant: baby food, milk (the contents of each bottle must be tasted by the accompanying passenger) and sanitary items sufficient and essential for the flight (nappies, wipes, creams and nappy disposal bags)

Female sanitary items sufficient and essential for the flight, if unboxed (eg tampons, pads, towels and wipes)

Tissues (unboxed) and/or handkerchiefs

Keys (but no electrical key fobs). All passengers must be hand searched, and their footwear and all the items they are carrying must be X-ray screened.

Pushchairs and walking aids must be X-ray screened, and only airport-provided wheelchairs may pass through the screening point.

In addition to the above, all passengers boarding flights to the USA and all the items they are carrying, including those acquired after the central screening point, must be subjected to secondary search at the boarding gate.

Any liquids discovered must be removed ...wot NO BOOZE.. :D

From Yahoo report:

"........London's Heathrow airport was the departure point for a devastating terrorist attack on a Pan Am airplane on Dec. 21, 1988. The blast over Lockerbie, Scotland, killed all 259 people aboard Pan Am Flight 103 and 11 people on the ground.

The explosive was hidden in a portable radio which was hidden in checked baggage......."

so, what is being done to inspect cargo now with the new threat?