A Pie Shop/outlet In Patong

chiang mai

We've developed a range of English Meat Pies and have been selling them through word of mouth for the past few months. We're now to the point where we are considering the next step in growing the business. The pies cover the traditional range of Steak and Kidney, Pork and Egg, Chicken etc and frankly are the best I have seen or eaten anywhere, even back in the UK, for many many years. We now have some eighteen customers achieved through word of mouth contact and I think we are now ready to consider moving to the next step, a dedicated retail outlet. There is absolutely no question in my mind that if customers are able to see the pies they will achieve a high sales volume very quickly and once sampled the customers will be retained. The model I have in mind is similar to the Cornish Pasty chain of shops in the UK, if any Brits here are familiar with them.

In looking around Phuket we have seen a number of possible retail sales possibilities ranging from the cart in the street to a purpose designed shop front and each carries it's own risks and costs. The cost of commercial rental in heavily traveled tourist areas is eye wateringly expensive for a start up venture and wonder what other Phuket/Patong residents believe is a sensible path to get the product to market in a controlled and cost effective way. Just to give you some more clues, our priority is on quality and value for money and whilst we have achieved that we insist on maintaining it or else we will stop.

Edited by chiang mai

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We've developed a range of English Meat Pies and have been selling them through word of mouth for the past few months. We're now to the point where we are considering the next step in growing the business. The pies cover the traditional range of Steak and Kidney, Pork and Egg, Chicken etc and frankly are the best I have seen or eaten anywhere, even back in the UK, for many many years. We now have some eighteen customers achieved through word of mouth contact and I think we are now ready to consider moving to the next step, a dedicated retail outlet. There is absolutely no question in my mind that if customers are able to see the pies they will achieve a high sales volume very quickly and once sampled the customers will be retained. The model I have in mind is similar to the Cornish Pasty chain of shops in the UK, if any Brits here are familiar with them.

In looking around Phuket we have seen a number of possible retail sales possibilities ranging from the cart in the street to a purpose designed shop front and each carries it's own risks and costs. The cost of commercial rental in heavily traveled tourist areas is eye wateringly expensive for a start up venture and wonder what other Phuket/Patong residents believe is a sensible path to get the product to market in a controlled and cost effective way. Just to give you some more clues, our priority is on quality and value for money and whilst we have achieved that we insist on maintaining it or else we will stop.

Find a skint farang to trawl the bars carrying a polystyrene container!

Seriously, I'd love to see it, knowing the chain of shops you have referred to, but the rents in the well-traveled areas of Patong are so high I can't see it being viable as a stand-alone business, though you may find a friendly bar-owner willing to sub-let a bit of space as the venture could be profitable for both parties.

Good luck

I have been involved in the management end of gourmet foods for many years. Specialty shops and supermarkets are always looking for new products.

Would it be difficult for you to approach them to try it in their shops? You may also want to market it at these shops by having sampling sessions. This is the most cost effective way of getting a product out there.

If they are really good the quality concious bars will want them to improve the farang food offerings..

It would be a way to build turnover, get some things moving, to then finance a shop front.. I tend to think being in tourist foot traffic area is not cost effective for what your doing and a shop selling ONLY pies may be a bit limited..

Whatever I wish you luck with it.. Anytime you want to drop samples into the Offshore let me know :o

Some friends of mine a couple of years ago used to make pies and deliver to the bars and some restaurants. They were very popular then.

Otherwise can I order half a dozen cornish pasties and a few beef pies for a start to be delivered to my shop in Kata? If you can, please let me know the cost?

Some friends of mine a couple of years ago used to make pies and deliver to the bars and some restaurants. They were very popular then.

Otherwise can I order half a dozen cornish pasties and a few beef pies for a start to be delivered to my shop in Kata? If you can, please let me know the cost?

Chantal, OP seems to have gone quiet. Might not be up to the expected PR level :o

Just having had a blast round town.. The little bakery counter on nanai does a roaring trade and at pretty premium prices.. No reason why you couldnt find a small low cost counter space, or partner up with existing..

If the product is good you will do well... I think farang food is most likely to sell well in the high tourist / expat places.. Which does mean Patong / Karon / etc..

I've eaten a few (quite a few) of those pies over the past month, and they are very good. The best Phuket made pies I've found so far. The latest offering of pork pie & egg will be a winner once it gets past the experimental stage, but very good even now. Only negative is the price, bit more expensive compared with other home made pies such as Lady Pie and Sheila's (although I've heard Sheila's not doing pies any more ?), but quality costs more.

I wish the OP and his lady the best of luck. I'll be placing my next order soon.

I've eaten a few (quite a few) of those pies over the past month, and they are very good. The best Phuket made pies I've found so far. The latest offering of pork pie & egg will be a winner once it gets past the experimental stage, but very good even now. Only negative is the price, bit more expensive compared with other home made pies such as Lady Pie and Sheila's (although I've heard Sheila's not doing pies any more ?), but quality costs more.

I wish the OP and his lady the best of luck. I'll be placing my next order soon.

Let me clarify one thing: SHEILA is still doing Pies and more than ever (she asked me to post this)

However she doesn't sell anymore to Deli Supermarket

Believe me she is up and running like hel*

Nothing bad against the new ones, haven't tasted them yet :o

Seppl

I will arrive Patong tomorrow until Sunday for a meeting and will be staying at the Patong Beach Garden Rewsort. How can I find you guys as I would like to try a sample and then bring a few back to BKK with me.

My apologies for the delay in my response but my internet (TOT) has been down here for most of the past 24 hours.

I will PM my phone number and perhaps you could call me when you arrive Patong and we can arrange for collection?

Once again my apologies for the delay in reply but TOT's internet service is pretty impossible at my home right now.

I'll be happy to provide what you asked for and will PM you separately.

so how much is the "averagre" pie that they sell then?

Our pies cost between 79 baht and 109 based on the filling and the type of crust and topping desired. Far cheaper than any commercial product you can find in TOPS (125 baht) and much of the competition you will find. I am aware however that some longer term residents of Phuket know all the nooks and crannies and have found cheaper deals and given time we will find them also and evaluate. What sets us apart however is our very strong desire to maintain really high quality asnd as we take on more customers our prices will certainly drop. PM me if you would like to order.

Let me clarify one thing: SHEILA is still doing Pies and more than ever (she asked me to post this)

However she doesn't sell anymore to Deli Supermarket

Believe me she is up and running like hel*

Nothing bad against the new ones, haven't tasted them yet :o

Seppl

I am pleased to hear that Shelia is still up and running although as discussed earlier we understood she had stopped trading - those that I have spoken to speak highly of her product and we would like to try it also but don't have a clue where to find her - if you would like to PM me the details I will certainly give her some business.

As for you not having tasted our pies yet, well, you should feel free to PM me with your order any time.

If they are really good the quality concious bars will want them to improve the farang food offerings..

It would be a way to build turnover, get some things moving, to then finance a shop front.. I tend to think being in tourist foot traffic area is not cost effective for what your doing and a shop selling ONLY pies may be a bit limited..

Whatever I wish you luck with it.. Anytime you want to drop samples into the Offshore let me know :o

Pm me with a name and we'll do just that, we're based just up the road.

I have been involved in the management end of gourmet foods for many years. Specialty shops and supermarkets are always looking for new products.

Would it be difficult for you to approach them to try it in their shops? You may also want to market it at these shops by having sampling sessions. This is the most cost effective way of getting a product out there.

That's an excellent suggestion and a road we have traveled but are blocked I'm afraid. Most large shops want to see Phuket Food and Health Department certification showing that the premises where the product is made are up to standard and they will not certify a home environment.

Just having had a blast round town.. The little bakery counter on nanai does a roaring trade and at pretty premium prices.. No reason why you couldnt find a small low cost counter space, or partner up with existing..

If the product is good you will do well... I think farang food is most likely to sell well in the high tourist / expat places.. Which does mean Patong / Karon / etc..

It's pretty difficult to identify low cost counter space in Patong and we have tried unsuccessfully but will keep trying - 50,000 baht monthly rent for a small counter means we have to sell a lot of pies to cover costs and I'm not sure our base is there yet. But, if you have any pointers...!

Chiang mai

I am not knowledgeable of the procedures of obtaining a health certificate in Thailand. Having a certificate is an assurance the the product was produced according to minimum cleanliness and health standards. If having a health certificate is a road block for now, try the smaller independent specialty stores for now but start going through the motions of getting a certificate. Many smaller "gourmet shops" in North America give out small tasting samples while people shop, and they have the product right beside the samples. It is the best and cheapest tool to introduce a new product. I have seen this done at Paragon in Bangkok.

Another obstacle that you may be faced with is that you may be preparing in a "residential only "zoned area, which doesn't allow for commercial cooking. If that is the case, all is not lost. There are commercial kitchens that are rented by the hour. If there is none in your area, approach a hotel kitchen to rent you part time space, or approach a cooking school to use their facility when they are not teaching. Surely they could use a little extra income.

Shepsel

For the avoidance of doubt our prices are:

PRICE LIST

COTTAGE PIE (Puff Pastry with Potato Topping) 88 baht

MINCED BEEF PIE (Short Crust Pastry) 88 baht

STEAK & KIDNEY PIE (Short Crust Pastry) 109 baht

STEAK & MUSHROOM PIE (Short Crust Pastry) 104 baht

STEAK PIE (Short Crust Pastry) 99 baht

CHICKEN PIE (Short Crust Pastry) 84 baht

PORK & EGG PIE (Short Crust Pastry) 85 baht

All pies:

- Are prepared fresh the day before they are required – we do not keep stock;

- Contain only the highest quality ingredients we can buy;

- Are Deep Dish individual pies measuring 4 inches across;

- May be frozen and reheated at a later date using a conventional oven.

(Pork and Egg Pies are sold chilled)

- Contain no food additives;

- Are available on 24 hours notice of a confirmed order;

- Are subject to a minimum order of 4 pies of the type ordered.