16 Thai airlines suspend their operations after failing safety assessments

webfact

2 hours ago, darksidedog said:

I thought the same, but I guess you can find out easy enough as they are the ones who wont be able to sell you a ticket right now.

Certainly true, but I already have a flight.booked on NoCare next week. Would be good to know if they're flying, so I can buy a train ticket of need be.

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, webfact said:

Thailand has faced a shortage of qualified personnel and training officials regarding aviation and safety issues...

It's time to change labour laws prohibiting foreigners from doing jobs that Thais "can do". If there's a lack of qualified personnel, that might be a problem worth fixing. 

I hope that their Shut Down order means more that the ones they issue to people building illegal waterfront homes, and those pesky condo builders that don't have the correct permits.

Or at least better than the one given 3 times to the village head building a private jeti across part of the lake. 555

3 hours ago, webfact said:

According to Colonel Sirichan Nga-thong, a spokesperson for Prawit, the ICAO had already inspected the safety and other related aspects at Suvarnabhumi and Don Muang international airports as well as those of the CAAT in July. The results are understood to be satisfactory with no significant safety or related concerns.

On the other hand:

- A recent report indicating that checking airport staff when they go airside is less than satisfactory at both airports.

- All the airlines are very lax in terms of checking that ticket and ID given matches and even more lax to check whether the passenger is the person in the photo. One particular budget airline basically check nothing. 

46 minutes ago, oldhippy said:

Since you have information that other posters don't have, please tell us which airlines are / are not affected.

Thank you.

Very easy to find out for yourself.

Go to www.flightradar24.com and navigate to one of the larger Thai airports to see in real-time all flights currently in the air in that area. If they have a flight in the air, then they're not on the list. Best to check at a few different times of day, as not all carriers will have a flight in the area at all times.

I looked at 8am (not a time when there's a lot of flights), and I saw Thai, Thai Smile, Nok, Thai Lion, and Air Asia. I'd expect to see a lot more a little later in the day.

As other posters have mentioned - the affected airlines are most likely ones you've never heard of, and would never fly. If any of the "regular" airlines were affected, it'd be all over the news.

1 hour ago, NanLaew said:

Yes, don't panic. The affected airlines are absolutely NONE of the ones that the general flying public would expect to fly on. Those itching to have a free pop at Nok and the likes can go find another, easier target.

Yea, don't be bashing Nok Air. They're a lovely little airline with a great CEO. :whistling:

#companieshavefeelingstoo #ohthehumanity

Just one of the reasons I don't step foot on an aircraft who's operation and maintenance base/origin is from LOS. My last one must have been about 6 years ago. Sitting in the lounge, the two pilots for my flight arrived for a quick snack and drink before heading to the aircraft. One male one female, both of whom, by the looks of things had just left school and could not have racked up many commercial hours of flying between them. Landing in Phuket requires some skill when the weather is bad (and it usually is in monsoon season). All I can remember thinking is, thank god for autopilots and that was my last flight on a Thai operated airline. I don't even transit through BKK anymore as this requires a domestic flight Thai operated flight on to Phuket. Just not worth the risk!

My last flight on their main carrier resulted in a burned arm when the air hostess pressed a hot pot (metal) of coffee on to my arm while conversing with the passenger behind me completely ignorant to where the hot pot was! What clinched the deal was that it was immediately my fault and the anger in her face that I was unhappy about being burned and the inability to say with any meaning that she was sorry! WTT we hope you enjoyed flying with us! NOT!

Regarding the article, they have only suspended the airlines now because they are being inspected next month by the ICAO. They needed to show they were being proactive but only at the last minute of course!

1 hour ago, smedly said:

Airline safety is of particular importance because when an accident or failure happens there is zero chance of survival, there are so many people and sectors involved in the safety of air travel it really is a massive task to ensure they are "all" meeting international standards, you also have to consider that aircraft flying into and out of Thailand become subject to international influence because they are carrying international passengers and entering - leaving - flying over other countries airspace and using the facilities of other countries - they must comply

It has to be more than "by the grace of god" that they operate safely, the standards (thank god) are not an option for Thailand - they are a rigorously controlled and enforced set of standards, it is usually ?money number one" for Thailand but in this case it is "safety and standards number one" - money doesn't enter into it. 

So why did 16 airlines fail the test?

2 hours ago, ezzra said:

So let me understand something here, all those airlines we flying

and or offering air transportation already while not

fit or fully qualified to be engaged in such services? it's with the grace of god

that no accidents happened to those operations....

There were several accidents but that information was also not released.  Defamation again.

2 hours ago, ezzra said:

So let me understand something here, all those airlines we flying

and or offering air transportation already while not

fit or fully qualified to be engaged in such services? it's with the grace of god

that no accidents happened to those operations....

I always fly with my amulet, and never ever something happened to me.

I understand that vast amounts are being spent at UTP to make it an aircraft maintenance hub for the SE Asian region, there were a few news stories about it recently.

Surely that can'y be smoke & mirrors as well?

There was a news item lately about laws being changed to allow more foreign engineers work here but that's because of the high speed train line.

This is not a uniquely Thai problem.

Over the last few decades, government regulation authorities have handed off oversight of maintenance adherence and inspection to the airlines themselves as a cost cutting measure.

The airlines are supposed to adhere to all existing regulations but, not surprisingly, they tend to bend the rules themselves as a way of cutting cost.

Then when government inspectors do check, they find the discrepancies.

It is not necessarily even maintenance standards, but things like storage of dangerous goods.

Its a highly regulated industry and its not hard to run afoul of the rules.

When we had a contract for Jet Blue maintenance we had to fumigate all their aircraft prior to allowing them in the hangar because they had a rat problem on a couple.

Something you'd never even consider when thinking about aircraft maintenance.

K Mile was of the airlines mentioned a few days ago in the news. They have one ancient  B727. I saw the Legacy Air Saab being broken up at Chiang Mai not long ago. There are quite a few single aircraft airlines that nobody has heard of. Happy Air ? Solar?  Are Rabbit Wings still flying?

2 hours ago, NanLaew said:

Yes, don't panic. The affected airlines are absolutely NONE of the ones that the general flying public would expect to fly on. Those itching to have a free pop at Nok and the likes can go find another, easier target.

On the other side there are 23 Airlines on that list (Commercial + Charter) so it is confusing...

Or are there some Airlines registered in the country that are not from Thailand?

Archived