How to get Thai "tax statement" without earnings?

Hello everyone,

I spent much of my time in Thailand last year, and a department in my home country now says it needs a document from Thailand stating my earnings/taxes (or lack thereof) from that year. I'm guessing this would have to be issued by the Thai Revenue Department, but since I haven't worked here, I'm not quite sure how I would get a "certificate" of sorts stating that I had no earnings in the country during 2016.

Does anyone know how I would go about getting such a document? Any help is very much appreciated.

Thank you in advance

You could submit an online PND91. You would probably have to pay a late filing fee.

To do this you would need a Thai tax number. To get that, someone needs to physically take a signed copy of your passport to the Revenue Office and apply on your behalf.

Just now, blackcab said:

You could submit an online PND91. You would probably have to pay a late filing fee.

To do this you would need a Thai tax number. To get that, someone needs to physically take a signed copy of your passport to the Revenue Office and apply on your behalf.

Thanks, mate. I'll look into that.

3 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

You can get tax certificates in English for the revenue department. See: http://www.rd.go.th/publish/21975.0.html

That's great. I'll head on over to the Revenue Office in Hua Hin on Monday to talk with them. Do you think I'll need a Tax ID to get a document such as this, or can they make one just based on the fact that my name/passport number isn't in their system?

7 minutes ago, Myran said:

That's great. I'll head on over to the Revenue Office in Hua Hin on Monday to talk with them. Do you think I'll need a Tax ID to get a document such as this, or can they make one just based on the fact that my name/passport number isn't in their system?

They may want you to apply for a tax ID but that is easily done and does not make you liable to pay taxes.

See: http://www.rd.go.th/publish/21987.0.html

My wife works for the Revenue Dept. and tells me they will not issue any document stating you did not work in Thailand.

She said you need to go to the District office [ ที่ว่าการอำเภอ..  Ask for  "ปลัดอำเภอ"] in your Province. They can provide the documents you need.

BTW, the District office is where they issue Thai ID Cards..

31 minutes ago, Jeffrey346 said:

My wife works for the Revenue Dept. and tells me they will not issue any document stating you did not work in Thailand.

She said you need to go to the District office [ ที่ว่าการอำเภอ..  Ask for  "ปลัดอำเภอ"] in your Province. They can provide the documents you need.

BTW, the District office is where they issue Thai ID Cards..

Thanks for the heads-up, I appreciate it. I'll head down to the Revenue office and see what they say since it's not far from here, but it's nice to know that there's another way.

14 hours ago, Myran said:

Thanks for the heads-up, I appreciate it. I'll head down to the Revenue office and see what they say since it's not far from here, but it's nice to know that there's another way.

Keep us updated on how it goes. My friend wanted to acquire a Tax Id number a while ago for similar reasons but at the time was advised that he could not get one because he does not have a work permit nor any taxable income in Thailand.

1 hour ago, zig said:

Keep us updated on how it goes. My friend wanted to acquire a Tax Id number a while ago for similar reasons but at the time was advised that he could not get one because he does not have a work permit nor any taxable income in Thailand.

There are several retired people that have tax deducted on their money in the bank.

They claim the tax back and to do that they have a tax number.

So I went to the Revenue Office today, but I was told I could only get a residence certificate. I was shown a tax certificate for foreigners, but not allowed to get one as you have to have paid tax.

I was also not allowed to get a Tax ID, as that was "only for tax payers". I'll head over to the District office next, as suggested above, to see if I can get what I need there. Thank you everyone for your help and suggestions.

13 hours ago, Myran said:

So I went to the Revenue Office today, but I was told I could only get a residence certificate. I was shown a tax certificate for foreigners, but not allowed to get one as you have to have paid tax.

I was also not allowed to get a Tax ID, as that was "only for tax payers". I'll head over to the District office next, as suggested above, to see if I can get what I need there. Thank you everyone for your help and suggestions.

seems like the other end is having naughty thoughts,as you are spending a lot of time out of [is it the uk] they might be looking at your expenditure against what tax you are paying in the uk.

27 minutes ago, Myran said:

@blackcab

Not to my knowledge, no.

I don't think they will tell you,back in 1996,i had a whisper that a certain group were about to decend on my operations unannounced,yes they came,they new exactly how many times in the last 5yrs.i had been out of the country,and against what tax I was paying,what I was earning,how I was able to buy a house,but what they didn't know that my wife earned much more than me.they did some more sniffing about but I had covered my tracks.

if it is the uk.they are looking at something because Thailand and the uk.has a tax treaty,you cant pay tax twice.

3 minutes ago, meatboy said:

I don't think they will tell you,back in 1996,i had a whisper that a certain group were about to decend on my operations unannounced,yes they came,they new exactly how many times in the last 5yrs.i had been out of the country,and against what tax I was paying,what I was earning,how I was able to buy a house,but what they didn't know that my wife earned much more than me.they did some more sniffing about but I had covered my tracks.

if it is the uk.they are looking at something because Thailand and the uk.has a tax treaty,you cant pay tax twice.

Actually, I'm Swedish, and it has to do with repayment of student loans.

22 hours ago, Myran said:

Is it possible that there was a misunderstanding? As far as I know, it is not necessary to have paid tax or be liable to pay tax in order to get a tax certificate, only to have submitted a tax return form and for this form to have been processed by the Revenue Office.

1 minute ago, Maestro said:

Is it possible that there was a misunderstanding? As far as I know, it is not necessary to have paid tax or be liable to pay tax in order to get a tax certificate, only to have submitted a tax return form and for this form to have been processed by the Revenue Office.

Not a misunderstanding between me and the person I spoke to, no. Though I am very much open to the idea that this is one of those circumstances where you'll get completely different answers depending on which office you go to :) The woman that helped me spoke to several others in the office, and they seemed to agree that I couldn't get the certificate unless I had actually paid tax the year in question.