Law banning baby formula marketing takes effect today

webfact

Law banning baby formula marketing takes effect today

By Thai PBS

infant-food.jpg

BANGKOK: -- The Control of Marketing of Infant and Young Child Food Act of 2017, which bans all advertising for infant formula milk as well as other food products for infants and young children, will take effect today (Sept 8).

The first of its kind in Thailand, the new law is intended to protect consumers in the infant and young child group.

It forbids sales promotion activities such as giving discount coupons, free samples, gifts and prizes, which companies use to attract customers. Medical, nursing and public health personnel will also be bound by the act to support, promote and protect breastfeeding. Violators will face stiff fines.

Full story: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/law-infant-formula-milk-take-effect-sept-8/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2017-09-08

39 minutes ago, scorecard said:

Also meaning that you no longer get bullshxx and totally incorrect answers from the 'pretties' manning the free hand out booths in supermarkets.

Darn I was just about to run out and get BS'd by the baby formula "pretties". Ruined my entire day!

The government also should teach the Thai mothers about feeding milk to their kids.

My neighbours teenage boy has to drink more than a litre milk a day because she wants him to be tall and strong like a farang. That's not healthy at all and i also wonder if the Thai milk is that healthy.

19 minutes ago, Thian said:

What's the purpose of this law?

I think it would be better if they forbid to sell untested babyfood products?? Remember what happened in China with poisonous baby-milkpowder?

The purpose is to prevent the baby milk powder manufacturers promoting their products on young mothers and encourage healthier breast milk. Baby milk powder is big business.

I remember some years ago I saw a book in Thailand translated into Thai giving advice on pregnancy and your first baby for expectant mothers, by a Western Doctor, Dr Miriam Stoppard.

The Thai publishers had inserted into the text several full page adverts for baby milk powder. In the West that kind of advertising isn't allowed.

5 hours ago, katana said:

The purpose is to prevent the baby milk powder manufacturers promoting their products on young mothers and encourage healthier breast milk. Baby milk powder is big business.

I remember some years ago I saw a book in Thailand translated into Thai giving advice on pregnancy and your first baby for expectant mothers, by a Western Doctor, Dr Miriam Stoppard.

The Thai publishers had inserted into the text several full page adverts for baby milk powder. In the West that kind of advertising isn't allowed.

I see, well in my homecountry the chinese buy ALL the milkpowder out of supermarkets ALL THE TIME, so now it's even rantioned, even for local mothers who many times even couldn't buy it because the chinese come to buy the whole supermarkets empty....it's sold by vendormachines now and max. 2 cans a person.

It amazes me that the Thai don't go for Dutch milkpowder just like the chinese.

My very young Thai cousin is fed hotdogs all day long, he's very fat from that but nobody cares.

I don't know the rules for babyfood in Holland but i do know it is surely tested and made from the best milk..

Yes, sometimes the mother isn't able to produce enough milk for various medical reasons and then infant formula milk is required. In the old days, a wet nurse was used.

As you say, the Chinese buy up Western milk formula because of the recent scandal there where their home produced powder was tainted with melamine. They just don't trust it.

Edited by katana

2 hours ago, Thian said:

I think it would be better if they forbid to sell untested babyfood products?? Remember what happened in China with poisonous baby-milkpowder?

Ahhhhhh........

China.......

Profit maximalisation and squeeze go hand in hand.

2 hours ago, Thian said:

The government also should teach the Thai mothers about feeding milk to their kids.

My neighbours teenage boy has to drink more than a litre milk a day because she wants him to be tall and strong like a farang. That's not healthy at all and i also wonder if the Thai milk is that healthy.

One problem for sure is that as a teen he is at the age where the Thai adult tendency to lactose intolerance begins. As many as 51% of Thai adults are lactose intolerant, according to one study, and up to 90% do not produce enough lactase, the enzyme required to break down lactose, so while not qualifying as "intolerant", they may still have issues with regular dairy.
The good news is that a domestic lactose free cow's milk is now available, as well as some imports. Also fermented milk, which I had rarely seen before coming to Thailand but is sold everywhere here, has much or all of its lactose broken down in the fermentation process, so that mom can keep "raising up" her son without causing him other troubles. :smile:

5 hours ago, Bill Miller said:

One problem for sure is that as a teen he is at the age where the Thai adult tendency to lactose intolerance begins. As many as 51% of Thai adults are lactose intolerant, according to one study, and up to 90% do not produce enough lactase, the enzyme required to break down lactose, so while not qualifying as "intolerant", they may still have issues with regular dairy.
The good news is that a domestic lactose free cow's milk is now available, as well as some imports. Also fermented milk, which I had rarely seen before coming to Thailand but is sold everywhere here, has much or all of its lactose broken down in the fermentation process, so that mom can keep "raising up" her son without causing him other troubles. :smile:

I heard about that intolerance before, also about not being able to digest beef.

But when we have bbq parties with meatballs from IKEA (contains pork) they suddenly don't care anymore and just eat it...never seen them getting sick.

3 hours ago, Thian said:

It takes more than milk for a growing body.

4 fruit and 5 vegetables will go a long way to provide a good diet for growing children.

That's why Thai's are shorter than many other nationalities.

Oh.. somebody got on the stick..APA USA.. trained.. thinks it is going to work out here.. 55555555555555555555555555555555555555

P tang labs is too strong for the likes of X..

Mothers have the right to choose the feeding protocols for the infants...  First 3 months of Breast is best...but a necessity for the poor.     But it will be some MAN telling a woman to do with and what with her body... seems to follow...

A rep did not follow up on a sales call.. an MD official did not get his mojo down...

Long live Nestle.... they started it all ... being greedy...

This law does not adress the main reason as to why many Thai children are not breastfed.

I feel that access to quality, affordable childcare for working moms would greatly increase the rate of breastfeeding. It's nearly impossible to breastfeed when mom is working in Bangkok and baby is being raised by grandma out in one of the provinces somewhere.

9 hours ago, Thian said:

It's to prevent the advertising that tells parents it is as good or better than breastfeeding. 

It is to prevent exagerated claims being being made by the producers of baby formula. 

It is to prevent lies masquerading as truth. 

5 hours ago, Bluespunk said:

It's to prevent the advertising that tells parents it is as good or better than breastfeeding. 

It is to prevent exagerated claims being being made by the producers of baby formula. 

It is to prevent lies masquerading as truth. 

Looking at the size of the Thai breasts i think the babies need more milk than mum can give.

5 hours ago, Bluespunk said:

Ah, my mistake. 

I thought you were asking a serious question. 

How foolish of me. 

Now don't play stupid, breasts from a farang mother are 3-5 times bigger so i bet they also give (much) more milk....

And milk makes tall people, that's why my nationality is the tallest of the world...