Motorcyclists fined 1,000 baht for using tunnel

Rimmer

Motorcyclists fined 1,000 baht for using tunnel

image.jpeg

PATTAYA:--Pattaya drivers are facing an expensive learning curve with the new Central Road bypass tunnel, with many getting hit with 1,000-baht fines for ignoring signs prohibiting motorbikes and other small vehicles.

Police chief Col. Apichai Kroppech said Aug. 29 that 18 motorists were stopped and fined in the Sukhumvit Road tunnel’s first three days of operation. He said numerous signs clearly point out what vehicles are and aren’t allowed through the underpass, but drivers are simply ignoring them.

Pattaya spokesman Pinit Maneerat noted that motorbikes, tuk-tuks, and carts are not allowed to use the tunnel as there is no dedicated lane for them.

Also prohibited are large trucks, trucks carrying hazardous materials or trailers longer than five meters.

The speed limit inside the tunnel is 80 kilometers per hour and stopping inside the underpass is prohibited.

Read more: http://www.pattayamail.com/news/motorcyclists-fined-1000-baht-using-tunnel-185499

pattaya_mail_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Pattaya Mail 2017-09-08

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I be happy to pay 100,000 baht if someone from the traffic department

will explain to us motorcycle riders the rational and reasoning behind

this silly laws that prohibited motorcycles form using tunnels and

overpasses, i'm sure that they all going to look at each other with 

lamb eyes and mumble something about it being an old law that

is there for 50 years already and no one really know whey....

3 minutes ago, ezzra said:

not allowed to use the tunnel as there is no dedicated lane for them

20 minutes ago, ezzra said:

Safety

49 minutes ago, ezzra said:

After being fined once, a copper told me that we weren't allowed to be in a right lane if we were more than 30 meters away from a U-Turn. He told me I had to drive in the left lane... I pointed out cars were parked there... he then said I had to be careful and drive on the white line... WTH..

I wish there were a translated DMV handbook somewhere. 

Edited by LazySlipper

not allowed to use the tunnel as there is no dedicated lane for them

A feeble excuse, if there was (there isnt) a dedicated lane for motorcycles (presumably they mean the far left lane) on normal roads then why arent pickup trucks and

speeding minivans fined for using it ?

and even worse using it as a high speed "undertaking" lane.

6 minutes ago, johng said:

A feeble excuse, if there was (there isnt) a dedicated lane for motorcycles (presumably they mean the far left lane) on normal roads then why arent pickup trucks and

speeding minivans fined for using it ?

and even worse using it as a high speed "undertaking" lane.

f i i k

16 hours ago, LazySlipper said:

It would only work if you had a size limit on the engine, around 600cc perhaps. This is not to say that small bikes cant go as fast, I'm suggesting that in general, serious motorcyclists  are better equipped mentally and have  better understanding of the traffic laws.  I fully understand the tunnels should not allow people who may consider riding 6 up on a bike, just to get from A to B a normal thing to do..

10 minutes ago, Juan B Tong said:

MEMO: To motorcycle drivers.

If using the Sukhumvut tunnel, it is recommended that you  draw your sword or long knife before entering.  You can save 900 Bhat if caught.

Fine for tunnel B1000 vs B100 for swords.

for tunnel B1000  B100 for swords.  = ??

Motorcyclists are a pain at the best of times on roads

Obviously you don't ride a motorbike,

IMHO the worst pains on the road are the racing "pickups" maniac mini buses ,blacked out "for-too-na" ,cement trucks and 10 wheelers not forgetting the break failure tour busses !

38 minutes ago, Juan B Tong said:

MEMO: To motorcycle drivers.

If using the Sukhumvut tunnel, it is recommended that you  draw your sword or long knife before entering.  You can save 900 Bhat if caught.

Fine for tunnel B1000 vs B100 for swords.

I don't remember seeing a sign that said, "NO SWORDS"  Has it just been erected in the last couple of days?

2 hours ago, meinphuket said:

Motorcyclists are a pain at the best of times on roads, imagine the carnage underground with nowhere to escape to. Keep bikes out of tunnels, and off motorways please.

Yes, motorcyclists can be a pain at times but they can't do as much damage, injury or death as the following:-

Car & truck drivers:- pulling out in front of you from side soi's, all along sukhumvit rd & overtaking you within the same lane, leaving inches between you.

Minivan drivers:- Driving fast up behind you, leaving inches of a gap, trying to force you to change lane. Once past, you see them sweeping over 3 lanes left before sweeping across 3 lanes right.

Also dont forget car, minivan & truck drivers who are seen blocking 3 lanes of traffic whilst attempting a u turn. 

Of course, all these car, truck & minivan drivers I ignore as I ride past them whilst they are stopped at a red light and I'm at the front of the queue again on my bike, lol.

Edited by LammyTS1

dear ezzra

The speed limit inside the tunnel is 80 kilometers per hour and stopping inside the underpass is prohibited.

that is the minimum speed limit  (thailand posts minimum speed limits not maxis same rest of the world} and from the look of your motorbike i dont think you can keep up. 

53 minutes ago, wanderluster said:

dear ezzra

that is the minimum speed limit  (thailand posts minimum speed limits not maxis same rest of the world} and from the look of your motorbike i dont think you can keep up. 

It didn't seem like you were being sarcastic, so I thought I'd correct you. While Thailand does have signs that give a minimum speed limit - a sign with a blue background, that is not the norm at all. The normal speed limit sign is a maximum speed limit, in line with international norms. I'm not sure where you got the idea those are minimums.... And by the way, even a little 110cc motorcycle can do 80+kph, which is the maximum speed... so actually they don't even need to be able to meet or exceed that speed. I don't imagine it would be all that good for an engine that small to sustain that speed for extended times, but most motorcycles have bigger engines than that and it isn't a problem at all for them to maintain that speed.

Prohibiting all motorcycles from tunnels and bridges is simply idiotic. It provides no safety benefits (unless considering incapable car drivers who don't know how to stay in their own lane and often nearly push motorcycles out of their lane and in tunnels and on bridges, the space for a motorcycle being pushed out of their lane is very limited) and it could easily be argued that it causes safety issues by sending motorcycles into other lanes and intersections where accidents are much more probable than tunnels or bridges. And if they say that no lane is provided for motorcycles... then with that logic, motorcycles shouldn't be allowed to drive almost anywhere since they don't have designated lanes anywhere else! It does however provide opportunity to collect more revenue and waste police officers' time stopping drivers who are not driving unsafely and ignoring all of the insane van and truck drivers and numerous cars that drive far too fast and dangerously.

5 hours ago, LammyTS1 said:

Yes, motorcyclists can be a pain at times but they can't do as much damage, injury or death as the following:-

Car & truck drivers:- pulling out in front of you from side soi's, all along sukhumvit rd & overtaking you within the same lane, leaving inches between you.

Minivan drivers:- Driving fast up behind you, leaving inches of a gap, trying to force you to change lane. Once past, you see them sweeping over 3 lanes left before sweeping across 3 lanes right.

Also dont forget car, minivan & truck drivers who are seen blocking 3 lanes of traffic whilst attempting a u turn. 

Of course, all these car, truck & minivan drivers I ignore as I ride past them whilst they are stopped at a red light and I'm at the front of the queue again on my bike, lol.

Enjoy your time at the front. Here's another thing that motorbikes are leading the rest of us road users on.

AccidentsByTypeOfVehicle.gif.a8e2af270a4c47eab4836be6f550100c.gif

32 minutes ago, Sig said:

Prohibiting all motorcycles from tunnels and bridges is simply idiotic. It provides no safety benefits (unless considering incapable car drivers who don't know how to stay in their own lane and often nearly push motorcycles out of their lane and in tunnels and on bridges, the space for a motorcycle being pushed out of their lane is very limited) and it could easily be argued that it causes safety issues by sending motorcycles into other lanes and intersections where accidents are much more probable than tunnels or bridges. And if they say that no lane is provided for motorcycles... then with that logic, motorcycles shouldn't be allowed to drive almost anywhere since they don't have designated lanes anywhere else! It does however provide opportunity to collect more revenue and waste police officers' time stopping drivers who are not driving unsafely and ignoring all of the insane van and truck drivers and numerous cars that drive far too fast and dangerously.

Here's one for you too.

MoreAccidentsByTypeOfVehicle.gif.1dd9bed1d69d260adf9ba68a76cf8907.gif

9 hours ago, meinphuket said:

Motorcyclists are a pain at the best of times on roads, imagine the carnage underground with nowhere to escape to. Keep bikes out of tunnels, and off motorways please.

Push bikes, and three wheel food vehicles etc are a pain.

Low powered M/Cs should not be allowed on highways, but anything over 250cc should be allowed.

BiB just use this obsolete law as an excuse to extort money.

1 hour ago, NanLaew said:

Enjoy your time at the front. Here's another thing that motorbikes are leading the rest of us road users on.

AccidentsByTypeOfVehicle.gif.a8e2af270a4c47eab4836be6f550100c.gif

Motorbike riders are well aware of how dangerous it is.

But waving at some HI-So in his ฿10m "Porch" as I go past is fun.

We have to deal with the inconsiderate car drivers every day.

Don't ask, I have had fast cars too...

:wai: