Foreigners with fake 1,000 baht notes flooding Pattaya - Thai traders take to social media to issue warnings

webfact

Foreigners with fake 1,000 baht notes flooding Pattaya - Thai traders take to social media to issue warnings

3pm.jpg

PATTAYA: -- Thai traders in Pattaya have taken to social media to warn fellow sellers and the public about fake 1,000 baht notes at the resort.

The stories come a day after Thaivisa highlighted the problem on Facebook.

At least one trader furiously blamed middle easterners for the con.

Siamchon News reported that four shops in Tesco Lotus and its surroundings were hit.

scc.jpg

Mobile phone shop owner Jiradech Nomneuy, 25, said some "khaek khao" (a term usually used to refer to middle eastern gentlemen of lighter skin color) came into his shop wanting some film coating for a phone.

They gave him a 1,000 baht note for the 250 baht job. Only after they left - in a bit of a hurry - did he discover the fake.

The numbers in Thai numerals and Roman did not match and some commenters online said real notes are "softer".

Sombat Kaewmoonmuk of Pattaya police is leading the investigation. He and his team are studying CCTV to get a lead and he said that "it shouldn't be very difficult" to get the gang.

He warned the public to beware.

Other warnings went out on the We Love Pattaya Facebook page.

On that page they said several shops were affected and the gang were foreigners.

On another Facebook page of "Birdvgo" the angry poster did not mince his words calling the gang "bloody Arabs".

Source: Siamchon News

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-09-14

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

15 minutes ago, ezzra said:

I'm being sold fake stuff by Thai people on a daily bases and no one

put it on any social media sites..... 

Quite, and I wonder if anyone else has noticed the irony of Mr. Jiradech Nomneuy allowing himself to be photographed complaining about a counterfeit banknote whilst wearing an almost certainly counterfeit Manchester United top. What goes around.......or as they say around these parts, "som nam na"

11 minutes ago, Blue Muton said:

Quite, and I wonder if anyone else has noticed the irony of Mr. Jiradech Nomneuy allowing himself to be photographed complaining about a counterfeit banknote whilst wearing an almost certainly counterfeit Manchester United top. What goes around.......or as they say around these parts, "som nam na"

Thais think they can pick and choose,  what law and when it applies to

them.

Amazing Thailand.

42 minutes ago, ezzra said:

Lady Gaga did and got trashed for it by officials and concerned offended citizen. What's the big deal with a couple of faked banknotes in the hub of faked goods?

And thanks for the tip:

The numbers in Thai numerals and Roman did not match and some commenters online said real notes are "softer".

Our team is already working to eliminate minor flaws.

Edited by Lupatria

1 hour ago, ezzra said:

Caveat emptor. Buyer beware. Besides which, if you know it is fake you can choose not to buy.

At least the fake notes can't be passed on as change.

Edited by champers

Fake goods and fake banknotes the principle is the same, but most of us here knowingly purchase copies and accept the consequences.now consider this scenario: you just purchased a upscale copy Rolex and you paid 1300bhat with two genuine 1000 notes but your change was in fake notes: wouldn't that piss you off?

Thai bank notes are not on the cutting edge of security features that are available now to counter the counterfeiters of paper money .. Technology available to crim's now makes copying bank notes easier all round which is why a lot of Euro countries have numerous security features designed and incorporated into them .. As in Britland where the two smaller notes are made out of a kind of plastic .. 

Edited by Justgrazing
Spelling

Some troll posts have been removed also a post from someone that does not like the headline, please if you do not like content contact the source but don't voice your displeasure  on  here for others to read as this is trolling.

Foreigners should be aware...

1. the foreign gangs may find it easier to pass those dud notes onto other foreigners

2. Thai traders stuck with a dud note is more likely to pass them off to other foriegners

3. any foreigner who unwittingly receive one and then tries to spend it is likely to be in for a very expensive shakedown.   

Considering that the ฿1000 is the largest denomination available then I don't see it as being too much of a problem, all my cash comes from a cash point, so unless the banks are passing them off I don't see a problem, are the money exchanges passing them off ? if so tourists beware.  

2 hours ago, ezzra said:

Yes but you know it's fake and you don't seem to care too much. In addition, you are living off a much higher income source than most in Thailand, certainly Thai traders who work for a pittance. Smart arse comments don't help anyone.

12 minutes ago, Krataiboy said:

Yeah, but . . .

Since only a tiny fraction of fiat currency is backed by a tangible asset, most of is in effect fake money. Welcome to planet Earth, the biggest Monolopy game in the Universe!

Not totally true.

It is all backed by the promises of debtors to pay back the debts, and in a lot of cases secured on property and companies.

Example.

You borrow 300,000 to buy a house. That 300,000 is essentially newly issued currency which you have spent into the economy. However, it is backed by the value of the house, which can be reposessed, and your promise to pay the debt through future earnings. 

It does give rise to the interesting observation that if all the debts were paid off, there would be no currency left in circulation except the legal tender cash issue by the governments.

2 hours ago, Blue Muton said:

Hardly the same thing 

People are accusing others without a shred of evidence that  Arabs behind that fake notes.

I wonder who the real culprit/'s is/are?

Who produce and sell Fake goods to Arabs and Other Foreign Tourists? How many Arabs and other Foreigners been conned and done in Thailand? 

I am eagerly awaiting the police investigation and the arrest if those behind that job.?

What if you pay for a fake woman (with a d!ck), with fake tits, who professes fake affection for you, who fakes an orgasm, whilst wearing fake designer goods and you pay her/him with fake 1000 baht notes in a country with fake laws, fake police, and fake policework?

1 hour ago, Justgrazing said:

Thai bank notes are not on the cutting edge of security features that are available now to counter the counterfeiters of paper money .. Technology available to crim's now makes copying bank notes easier all round which is why a lot of Euro countries have numerous security features designed and incorporated into them .. As in Britland where the two smaller notes are made out of a kind of plastic .. 

That was originally an Australian invention and has been used here for many years. We export the technology.